FLASHLIGHTS

• HTML tutorial

Big E

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Morganton, NC
Member #

This is handy. Very bright LED, magnet at one end. Great for a camp or work light. Handy if your vehicle is steel. It stays put.

Momo

Rank III
Investor

Enthusiast II

Tumwater, WA
Member #

I confess my flashlight addiction.
Favorite EDC
Maratec Rev 3 Copper
Favorite Headlamp
One80 Light

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

timberwolf_120

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Ridgecrest, CA
Member #

picked this up from bass pro shops over thanksgiving weekend last year its a Xps l2000 flashlight . rated at 2000 lumens and I must say its damn bright.
I also have a streamlight stinger that I liberated from work when we upgraded to the newer models. still need to hard wire the charger into the jeep and same with the one for my xps
anyways heres some output pics of the xps in the day time

High

Medium

Low

Overland 505

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Albuquerque, New Mexico
Member #

Ok guys and gals, I'm looking for a bright 2xAA led that only has 1 mode, on, not lo high flash etc.... It annoys the heck out of my with all of these differend mode lights, tried the lastest aa maglight and it still has the issue of not coming on sometimes, really don't like that. Gracias.

Reactions: Momo

Momo

Rank III
Investor

Enthusiast II

Tumwater, WA
Member #

I would recommend a Coast G26. They are a Portland, OR company with a lifetime warranty and have reasonable prices. I own the Coast G20 and it has been great it's my EDC work light.

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk

Reactions: Overland 505

ASNOBODY

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate II

Detroit, Michigan
Member #

I have many flashlights hidden around the house and cars but these 3 I actually use regularly:

Fenix PD35

Fenix E12

Maglite ML300LX LED (didn't think I'd like this as much as I do)

Mountain.Mike

Rank III

Off-Road Ranger I

Pikeville, Kentucky
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Pruitt
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO4JNQ
Hello. My name is Mike and I am a flashlightaholic. I've got a few streamlights, nitecores, a fenix, and old maglites stuffed into every conceivable bag and container I interact with. I just picked up a new truck that I am outfitting. I am trying to decide on a rechargable that I can mount and wire on the trans tunnel in the front of the truck. I've got a fair amount of room, so I am more focused on getting the best performance out of a light that will play well living on a vehicle charging system. I have considered everything from the monster Pelican 9410l to the Streamlight Ultra Stinger or the Fenix RC20. I've already learned about a lot of great lights just from reading this thread, so I thought I'd ask for the thoughts of you fine people. What light/charger should I mount in my truck?

timberwolf_120

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Ridgecrest, CA
Member #

Hello. My name is Mike and I am a flashlightaholic. I've got a few streamlights, nitecores, a fenix, and old maglites stuffed into every conceivable bag and container I interact with. I just picked up a new truck that I am outfitting. I am trying to decide on a rechargable that I can mount and wire on the trans tunnel in the front of the truck. I've got a fair amount of room, so I am more focused on getting the best performance out of a light that will play well living on a vehicle charging system. I have considered everything from the monster Pelican 9410l to the Streamlight Ultra Stinger or the Fenix RC20. I've already learned about a lot of great lights just from reading this thread, so I thought I'd ask for the thoughts of you fine people. What light/charger should I mount in my truck?
my buddy runs the streamlight stinger in his jeep year round for the past 3 years now and hasn't had any problems with it. plus you really cant beat the quality, durability and light output of a stinger.

edit: we also have them in all our vehicles out here in the desert and some of them look like absolute ass and they still work great. aircraft maintainers are very hard on tools and the stinger is the only flashlight that can take the abuse of us lol

Last edited:
Reactions: Mountain.Mike

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

My EDC is a Fenix PD22, 20mm with single C123.

I was MUCH more concerned about minimal output than maximum output. I have used it on the 3 lumen setting as a lamp for 3 deployments now in darkened tents, and tend to use it as a lamp at home out of habit. If you prop it up so it is shining at the ceiling, it is generally enough light to find what you are looking for and get dressed, etc. Even at home, it is also still low enough in output to not wake my wife, plus it doesnt screw up your night eyes.

In the deployed tent situation, with its 120-hour burn time, it will easily go 2-3 months, being turned on 10 times a day for 5-10 mins at a time to change or grab something I need. I carry a spare battery with me at all times as well. I have considered getting some rechargeable ones, but I seem to always come home with a few extras from work, and a single one typically lasts an entire stay home station before I deploy again.

Of course, like every other EDC light made in the last decade, it puts out plenty of useable power on the rare occasion you need it (IIRC, 210 lumens for an hour or so). In the open I can use it to spot my white dog out to an easy 150 yards, and my black dog to about 75-100.

One of my other EDC tools wears a streamlight TLR3 undernrath it. It is only 125 lumens, but it was by far the cheapest option that is also small and light enough to comfortably carry EDC.

I have also had a Fenix TA20 for about 6 years now. I bought it for the same principle: it would burn for 170 hours at 4 lumens and still give plenty of useable search time at its 225lum maximum. Of course, it also had a large 25mm body and 35mm head, vs the straight 20mm of my PD22, and was twice as long. It now sits on the wife's side of the bed working nightstand duty, because the rotating bezel ring makes selecting output a breeze.

Overall, I am a big fan of Fenix lights. They have been extremely reliable for me, and the availability of models with low minimum outputs makes them incredibly useful.

Attachments

Last edited:

Cavo

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger II

Great Falls, VA, USA
First Name
Colin
Last Name
Richard
Member #

I'm a Fenix guy myself, and there is a good chance that Santa will be putting a new PD35 under the tree for me in a few days..

I've got an LD22 in the truck,

and have bought all my relatives E41 models last Christmas.
I have the PD-35 and love it. Have it on my THE MOLLE VISOR ORGANIZER | BLACK. Amazing brightness and distance for the size.

john casson

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Danville CA
Member #

My Wife bouitgh a Defiant Flash light 3 years ago. 3 d cells , by far the best flash light I have ever had. Very Bright and Durable and batterys seem to last for ever. I bought a Tactical mini T2000 online and it is terrible. 1 AAA Battery, battery last maby 20 minutes and light is very unreliable. Still looking for a good reliable compact light.

Momo

Rank III
Investor

Enthusiast II

Tumwater, WA
Member #

Great Customer Service!

I lost my clip to my Coast G20. I emailed Coast to purchase a new clip. They replied with telling me that they would send me a new clip for free. I was very delighted with this great customer service, and to top it off when the new clip arrived there were two clips. Customer for life!

Reactions: Overland 505

jhewitt03

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

29 palms CA
First Name
John
Last Name
Hewitt
Ok so I'm a flashaholic I love anything and everything that produces light and what a lot of people don't know is lumens is just intensity of the light candela determines how far it goes so you can have high lumens low candela and your light will appear dimmer then a higher candela light that being said certain lights have certain applications same goes for deep and shallow reflectors with or without orange peals the list goes on point is research what you want your light to do as for me I personally recommend anything made by olight fav brand by far

Roger352

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

, Cornwall PL17 , United Kingdom
First Name
Roger
Last Name
Smith
Member #

I have to favourites Maglites (D cells) and LED Lenzer. The Maglites I have mounted in my truck and the LED Lenzers I have on my belt or the headlight, you guessed it on my head

TheBelafonte

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Philadelphia
Member #

I'm new to overlanding but I've been a fan and user over Klarus torches for a while now (xt11). Started using them for long exposure light painting photography a few years back. Planning to grab a few extra batteries to have in the truck for my first couple trips.

boss324

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tracy California
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Castro
Member #

I picked up a couple of Duracell 700 lumens flashlight I've been pretty happy with and for $20 can't beat it! Feature 2 brightness setting and the ability to have wide angle or spotlight pretty sweet. Love Costco... lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: Mike G