Flashlights | Page 3 | OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY

Flashlights

Discussion in 'Overland Vehicle Gear' started by Crutledge, Mar 27, 2018.

1. Guest, Did you know you can change the look of your Overland Bound forums? At the bottom of this page look for the Style Chooser! All previous and new light and dark themes are available. Pick something you like!
Hi Guest, Become a Member to gain access to the Member Forums, Member Map, Member Calendar of Events, and Rally Point overland trip planner! Click this link "Learn More" for more information!
  1. Rexplorer

Rexplorer Rank VI

Member #:

Map
    I have 2 cheap amazon lights. 6/10 quality. All i care is that they use the 18650. If one or both get lost, no biggie. Usb charger keeps them topped up in the truck. They have a few modes and can zoom from spot to flood. Work as wellas my buddy $60 light. But they were 2 for $28.

2. Dakota Houligans

Map
    I have a stream light strion led flashlight with the lithium ion rechargeable battery. you can get spare batteries for it and its worked well for me every day for the last 5 years.

3. systemdelete

systemdelete Rank II

Map
    I approached the problem differently, building my rig, I thought about what, when, and where I wanted to charge all my things. Then after I carefully decided what needed charging, I decided where each should be stored, and when each should be charging.(all time, or only with key on)

I simplified all the things needing removable batteries in my truck to use one of two, the largest are 18650, and they power my clip on fans, and a really bright flashlight from amazon that I keep in the door pocket. The next size down are AAA enloops, which power my pocket EDC streamlight, my petzyl headlamp, and my gameboy advance.(with sleeves to bump the cells up to AA size) Everything else in the rig has an internal battery and a spot where it can be stored/charged. When I have to park in the garage a single 120v extension cord provides power to the critical components(engine block heater on thermo circuit, charger for starting battery, power supply for fridge, CCTV cameras, WiFi hotspot, and continuous USB chargers throughout) so the vehicle can reliably sit still far longer than I can stand to let it.

The only two items that bend the rules are my weapon lights, but they are self sufficient without external charging with a simple monthly check and change of the batteries annually.

4. Nickzero

Nickzero Rank VI
    Benefactor Member

Member #:

Map
    I agree with Fenix. I have 4 models of Fenix lights currently. the PD32 and PD35's are AR and Shotgun tac lights with an updated PD32 V2 and mini E-12 AA light as my EDC lights. They are simple to use, sealed against water and rugged as hell for my EDC. I cant tell you how many times that E-12 has come in handy for simple tasks. +1 for Fenix lights! - Nick

HappyOurOverlanding likes this.
  5. Lindenwood

Lindenwood Rank V

Member #:

Map
    #45 Lindenwood, Jan 27, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2019
    My same single-C123 Fenix PD22 is getting ready to start its 4th combat deployment! In addition to all normal pocket flashlight duties, it gets used as my bed lamp every day. It gets activated probably 15-20 times a day downrange, and probably an average of 2-3 times a day at home (because we also dont have any lamps lol).

I lost my first PD22 during my first deployment (i.e. not including the ones I mentioned above), and bought 3 more. However, I gave one away as a gift, and havent ever had to break out the other spare yet.

Oh, I also EDC'd a Fenix TA20 for like 4 years! It now lives on one of my ARs.

6. theMightyGoose

theMightyGoose Rank III

Member #:

Map
    This is a good option also. Easier to find AA or AAA in stores if you forget to charge your batteries.

HappyOurOverlanding likes this.
  7. James Deaton

James Deaton Rank II

Map
    Like the dentist says: The best brand of floss is the one you use every day...

My flashlight is my iPhone 8. It’s rechargeable, waterproof, in an Otterbox Defender for impact protection, and the brightness is adjustable.

I don’t carry extra stuff with me, I feel it weighs me down. Even when off the grid I have my iPhone in my pocket all the time for pictures, videos, to take notes, as a flashlight, and for the built in GPS chip. One device, for all that capability.

James

Lindenwood likes this.
  8. Jorrie

Jorrie Rank V

Member #:

Map
    I have a nice big LEDlenser P17 that does the job great, mounted in he rear of the cab. I also always have my Olight on my EDC, a LEDlenser P7.2 in my bag and a LEDlenser MH6 headlamp in the glove-box.