Flashlights

• HTML tutorial

Rexplorer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Educator I

Lake Country, BC, Canada
Member #

I have 2 cheap amazon lights. 6/10 quality. All i care is that they use the 18650. If one or both get lost, no biggie. Usb charger keeps them topped up in the truck. They have a few modes and can zoom from spot to flood. Work as wellas my buddy $60 light. But they were 2 for $28.

Enthusiast II

Hartford, SD
I have a stream light strion led flashlight with the lithium ion rechargeable battery. you can get spare batteries for it and its worked well for me every day for the last 5 years.

systemdelete

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Nashville, TN
First Name
Erik
Last Name
Rumbaugh
Member #

I approached the problem differently, building my rig, I thought about what, when, and where I wanted to charge all my things. Then after I carefully decided what needed charging, I decided where each should be stored, and when each should be charging.(all time, or only with key on)

I simplified all the things needing removable batteries in my truck to use one of two, the largest are 18650, and they power my clip on fans, and a really bright flashlight from amazon that I keep in the door pocket. The next size down are AAA enloops, which power my pocket EDC streamlight, my petzyl headlamp, and my gameboy advance.(with sleeves to bump the cells up to AA size) Everything else in the rig has an internal battery and a spot where it can be stored/charged. When I have to park in the garage a single 120v extension cord provides power to the critical components(engine block heater on thermo circuit, charger for starting battery, power supply for fridge, CCTV cameras, WiFi hotspot, and continuous USB chargers throughout) so the vehicle can reliably sit still far longer than I can stand to let it.

The only two items that bend the rules are my weapon lights, but they are self sufficient without external charging with a simple monthly check and change of the batteries annually.

Nickzero

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Nicholas
Last Name
Dugdale
Member #

For high quality, reasonably priced LEDs, I use Fenix lights.

For lights I absolutely have to have work when I poke the button, I use SureFire.

[EDIT] Don't let the above dissuade anyone from Fenix. I have never had any of my five AA or AAA Fenix lights fail to work. The only one I've ever seen fail is my mother's who left a dead battery in so long it corroded the tail switch. Some aggressive cleaning solution and it now works most of the time.

My SureFire is weapon mounted. I want be sure it will withstand anything!
I agree with Fenix. I have 4 models of Fenix lights currently. the PD32 and PD35's are AR and Shotgun tac lights with an updated PD32 V2 and mini E-12 AA light as my EDC lights. They are simple to use, sealed against water and rugged as hell for my EDC. I cant tell you how many times that E-12 has come in handy for simple tasks. +1 for Fenix lights! - Nick

Reactions: HappyOurOverlanding

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

My same single-C123 Fenix PD22 is getting ready to start its 4th combat deployment! In addition to all normal pocket flashlight duties, it gets used as my bed lamp every day. It gets activated probably 15-20 times a day downrange, and probably an average of 2-3 times a day at home (because we also dont have any lamps lol).

I lost my first PD22 during my first deployment (i.e. not including the ones I mentioned above), and bought 3 more. However, I gave one away as a gift, and havent ever had to break out the other spare yet.

Oh, I also EDC'd a Fenix TA20 for like 4 years! It now lives on one of my ARs.

Last edited:

theMightyGoose

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

San Diego, CA
First Name
Glenn
Last Name
Gossett
Member #

That's why I settled on the Eneloop rechargeable AA and AAA batteries. They are the new pre-charged nickel–metal hydride batteries, and maintain 80% charge in a drawer after one year, and something like 60% after three. Not quite the life of a CR123, but cheaper, and rechargeable 2000 times. Plus, a cheap AA or AAA can be substituted if needed. And, like you, there's always a spare in my pocket.
This is a good option also. Easier to find AA or AAA in stores if you forget to charge your batteries.

Reactions: HappyOurOverlanding

James Deaton

Rank V

Pathfinder I

Like the dentist says: The best brand of floss is the one you use every day...

My flashlight is my iPhone 8. It’s rechargeable, waterproof, in an Otterbox Defender for impact protection, and the brightness is adjustable.

I don’t carry extra stuff with me, I feel it weighs me down. Even when off the grid I have my iPhone in my pocket all the time for pictures, videos, to take notes, as a flashlight, and for the built in GPS chip. One device, for all that capability.

James

Jorrie

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Durbanville, South Africa
Member #

I have a nice big LEDlenser P17 that does the job great, mounted in he rear of the cab. I also always have my Olight on my EDC, a LEDlenser P7.2 in my bag and a LEDlenser MH6 headlamp in the glove-box.

Reactions: Viking1204

JSearles562

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Potsdam, NY, USA
First Name
Jordan
Last Name
Searles
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2SOC
I've been a flashlight buff for years. I've used and tested dozens of handhelds and weapon lights. As a firefighter and former LEO, I fully understand what an indispensable tool a flashlight is. I never leave home without my streamlight protac 2L in my left side front pocket. (I actually prefer surefire as a brand over streamlight but most of their lights have thick bezels which i find uncomfortable) This protac 2L has been part of of my EDC for almost 5 years now, and the one before that had a good 2 year run before i broke the glass tapping on the starter of a jeep TJ with it. It can throw a beam 100yards, has a few different modes and is slim enough to carry comfortably every day. Inside my rig I have a streamlight survivor LED in the driver side door pocket. Another fine specimen that has held up to the heat (Literally). In my pack I have a black diamond spot headlamp. which comes in extremely handy when i need to go hands free. the Spot has 3 LEDs: A spot beam, a flood beam and a red LED.

The biggest thing I've learned about flashlights over the years is that the switch tends to fail first and usually starts as an intermittent problem. My advice, the first time it flickers or acts a little weird, don't assume its a fluke, replace it. I've had a light fail in a very serious situation and count my lucky stars that I had a spare.

And as a side note: the surefire x300u is the only weapon light that i would trust my life to while on patrol, (Surefire scout m300 for long guns) although I do/did not carry a weapon light on my CCW.

David H

Local Expert Southern ID

Traveler III

Boise, ID, 83713 USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Hopkins
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRKQ684
Service Branch
U.S.A.F.
There are so many brands out there, and since LED's have become mainstream, it's hard to go wrong no matter what you pick. I prefer Surefire, but it's because of the batteries - the Surefire 123A Lithium batters reliability and shelf-life...

Charles M

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Wickenburg, AZ, USA
First Name
Charles
Last Name
M
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1CJM
I have a Streamlight Stinger and love it. I can't say enough good things about it.
I have had a rechargeable stinger for the last 15 years it was in my last truck and is now in this one. Being a rechargeable light it is always ready. On my Tahoe it is mounted under the lid inside the center console.

Reactions: Beer Hounds

Turnerxc

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Midlothian, VA, USA
First Name
Brad
Last Name
Turner
Member #

I’m a SureFire guy as well. EDC, weapon and Jeep. For the vehicle you can’t beat the G2X Pro in my opinion.. small, bright and light

Retinens803

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

South Carolina, USA
First Name
CJC
Last Name
CJC
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4BMJ
Fenix LD22 been carrying the same one for almost 10years now. Used underwater ran it over used it to run wire in drop ceilings. I have had to use it to dig cat holes when my absent minded self forgot my shovel.

IMG_0010.JPG

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
I have a nice big LEDlenser P17 that does the job great, mounted in he rear of the cab. I also always have my Olight on my EDC, a LEDlenser P7.2 in my bag and a LEDlenser MH6 headlamp in the glove-box.
I have a LEDlenser that I've been using for years as my hunting flashlight, use it at home a lot too. It charges using a magnetic connection and has never failed me. It's the older version of the one in the link below. My son has my previous one I passed down to him, that light is easily over 10 years old and still works great!

lugueto

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Caracas, Distrito Capital, Venezuela
First Name
Luis
Last Name
Ugueto
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YY-5-LIU
For a truck light, a Maglite 3D is honestly hard to beat. The only downside to them really is the fact that rechargeable D cells are extremely expensive, so buying the light + rechargeables will get you into the pricerange of much higher performing lights. But non-rechageable D cells last forever on these lights so its not that bad.

I am also a fan of Surefire and own a bunch of them, but the larger models are very expensive.I recently changed the old Maglite 3D on my truck for a Streamlight Protac 5 and I'm VERY impressed with the quality and performance. As a truck light, I can highly recommend it.

Reactions: 64Trvlr

64Trvlr

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Northern AZ
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Trvlr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK7NAZ
Service Branch
MM1 US Navy
For a truck light, a Maglite 3D is honestly hard to beat. The only downside to them really is the fact that rechargeable D cells are extremely expensive, so buying the light + rechargeables will get you into the pricerange of much higher performing lights. But non-rechageable D cells last forever on these lights so its not that bad.

I am also a fan of Surefire and own a bunch of them, but the larger models are very expensive.I recently changed the old Maglite 3D on my truck for a Streamlight Protac 5 and I'm VERY impressed with the quality and performance. As a truck light, I can highly recommend it.
I agree with you about the 3 D cell Maglight. My Willys has had 3 of them in it for at least 25 years, I have the LED versions now but they're still there. I have one clipped under each front seat and one inside the right rear door. You can hit stuff, dig holes, drop them they work no matter what.

I do have at least 6 Surefire lights and now I've come out of the dark ages a little farther with 2 rechargeable Surefires.

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

I was an early adopter of Surefire, so early they were marked "Laser Products" I rode the Surefire train for many years. They were the premier light on the market, best machining, best warranty, best output, the Cadillac of lights no doubt.

Then they went to sleep at the wheel, refusing to adopt rechargeables, refusing to use cutting edge LED technology, resting on their laurels, and doing so at a price point way beyond lights with better output and comparable machining/finish. Years late, they started building lights compatible with 18650, the most cost effective and prolific battery type on the market, and did so still at a price point incompatible with reason. Were it not for taxpayer funded sales Surefire would have failed a decade ago..

I'm a China hater, they are not our friends, they steal our technology when they are not extorting it, they bribe our politicians and spy on us with reckless abandon. I avoid their products largely and refuse to eat anything sourced there.

That said, if there is a segment of the market that China leads in technology it is hand held lights. "Made in China" is not an indicator that quality is good and technology is cutting edge, quite not, but there ARE many Chinese light manufacturers who produce very nicely machined and finished, lights using the very cutting edge of LED's, and do so at a ridiculously low price. Regardless the brand of light you buy the LED is sourced in China. Hand held incandescent are dead. The overwhelming majority of driver boards are sourced in China, and the CNC machine that spun the tube/head/reflector will be found in Wang Dang Hot Dam China about 99% of the time.

Those Streamlight people are recommending? China.
Surefire LED? China.

So with that in mind, when I am sourcing hand held lights, I look the Chinese products first.

Best value on the market? Chinese lights.

• Haha
Reactions: Desert Runner

lugueto

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Caracas, Distrito Capital, Venezuela
First Name
Luis
Last Name
Ugueto
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YY-5-LIU
I agree, Surefire did fall asleep on the wheel, but I can't fault them for not making rechargeable lights.

For me, lights that use proprietary batteries are no good. I'm all for "multi fuel" lights. Its easy, cheaper and makes more sense to find rechargeable cells.

For example: My Surefire lights use their classic CR123 cells. I bought a bunch of rechargeables and use them on all the lights just the same. Then I bought the Streamlight, which can use 2x18650 (their own cells are pretty awesome) or 4xCR123, which I already have. To me, this is key.

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
I have lights that use 123's , D's, 18650's. Must be two dozen counting weapon lights. The one I use all the time is a cheapie that stays plugged in to the trucks cig lighter.

Tupenny

Rank V
Investor

Pathfinder I

Longwood, Florida
First Name
Boulder
Last Name
Dash
Member #

I also have a Mag 3D mounted to my seat rail. Not the greatest light source when compared to others but versatile as it can be used for other things than seeing in the dark.

My favorite lights now are Nitecore. I have several sizes, all rechargeable, in recovery kits, several areas of the house and the glove box. The lighting is adjustable from red (for low light signature) all the way to a super light that actually warms up the unit (instructions say not to use the high-power for extended use).

Good solid construction, carrying cases included, simple intuitive operation. Highly recommended.