Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

I have been using Fenix lights I think for about a decade now.

My current Fenix PD22 has been with me through three combat deployments. We operate in remote areas (Iraq, Somalia, etc) and sleep in tents. Because everyone is on a different 24-hour schedule, there are never lights on inside the living tents. So, between working, navigating at night, and simply using it as a lamp in my room, I actuate the switch probably 3-dozen times per day on a given deployment. I find a single 123 would last about a month downrange, providing light for perhaps 3 or 4 hours per day at mostly-low settings.

Far and away the biggest two advantages of the PD22 are its compact size (1x CR123 and 20mm in diameter) and widely variable settings; it will burn for 120 hours at 3 lumens, and goes all the way up to 210 lumens for finding things quickly (like locating a loose dog in the dark).

In my experience, the best gadgets in the world are the ones you actually have on you when you need them, so I tend to advocate for smaller lights like the PD22, rather than large ones that sit in a box or a backpack.

I lost my first PD22 a few years ago in Afghanistan, then I bought three more and am still on the first of those three (though I gave one of those away also.

I also carried a Fenix TA20 for probably 5 years, but it kinda got too big for pocket EDC (2x CR123 with a 1" body and like 1.25" bezel). However, now it sits on one of my AR15s (and previously two 12gs and two AR10s). Again, I love its super-bright strobe feature that can be tempered to a 170-hour 4 lumen burn with a simple twist of the bezel ring.

If you hadn't gathered, I happily support Fenix stuff, if for nothing else their ingenuity in design. Most of the Surefires and Streamlights (at least, before the last decade) always seemed to focus on just being as bright as possible for a few hours, whereas I really wanted a good long-running EDC light for finding my keys under the car or digging through a closet, while still having decent power in reserve.

roninrunner

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Chesapeake, VA
Member #

I have a Streamlight Stinger and love it. I can't say enough good things about it.
Is your's charging via an ignition controlled 12v plug? Have you had any issues with the constant on/off of the power? I have one sitting in my amazon cart, but don't want to bight the bullet if it will get messed up with the power flux.

Beer Hounds

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lakeville, MN, USA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Pettit
Member #

Is your's charging via an ignition controlled 12v plug? Have you had any issues with the constant on/off of the power? I have one sitting in my amazon cart, but don't want to bight the bullet if it will get messed up with the power flux.
I have never had to charge it out on a trip. It holds a charge excellent, and we only end up using it in the dark less than an hour total during our trips I would guesstimate. I have had it for years, and usually will throw it on the charger before heading out camping just to top it off so to speak.

Reactions: roninrunner

Gothere

Rank 0

Traveler I

Alabama
If you are looking for a great rechargeable flashlight, at a good price, I recommend the Anker LC900 or LC1300. Model #s match their light output in lumens. Very high quality product. I bought my LC900 for something like $26 off of amazon. I use it more than I ever imagined I would. After the 300 lumen light I bought for my fiance failed, I gave her the LC900, and bought a LC1300, for S&G. It's amazing how far and how clear I can see at night with it, and I will always recommend it.

As a side note, after I bought the Anker flashllights, I started buying their other products. Phone chargers, wall adapters, portable battery charger, bluetooth speaker, etc. I love ever single thing they make. They make 10ft charging cables that work like the factory 3ft. 10/10 products.

Musubie

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Los Angeles
This past trip I surprised myself by not once using the flashlight I always carry. I ended up reaching for what is now my preferred light source, the Luci. I love these things. Just let its solar panel do its thing in the day on the dashboard or a window and you're good to go. No more batteries, no more wires, no more "How much energy do I have left in this thing?"and the charge lasts a long time. Deflated they take up barely any space, and they're lightweight.

Not as cool as a machined tactical light, but when the goal is to navigate a path to the tent at night, just how tactical do you need to be?

Reactions: HappyOurOverlanding

Gary Stevens

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Reseda California
Member #

Both Fenix and streamlight LED flashlights are well liked in all the flash light fourms. I have a bit of a collection. Be careful with streamlight as they use an 18650 that is designed for their lights and a standard 18650 will not work. Nitecoure flashlight are a really good option using high quality 18650 batteries and many are rechargeable via a usb port in the flashlight. That would be my preference. http://www.nitecorestore.com/?gclid=CjwKCAjw6djYBRB8EiwAoAF6oVYF_HXia9elSX3GpP_50YlwIteO97Rdjh_Dq2OhHlTOXLiPhh_c1RoCAzYQAvD_BwE

Gary Stevens

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Reseda California
Member #

Both Fenix and streamlight LED flashlights are well liked in all the flash light fourms. I have a bit of a collection. Be careful with streamlight as they use an 18650 that is designed for their lights and a standard 18650 will not work. Nitecoure flashlight are a really good option using high quality 18650 batteries and many are rechargeable via a usb port in the flashlight. That would be my preference. http://www.nitecorestore.com/?gclid=CjwKCAjw6djYBRB8EiwAoAF6oVYF_HXia9elSX3GpP_50YlwIteO97Rdjh_Dq2OhHlTOXLiPhh_c1RoCAzYQAvD_BwE
I should add you likely want the P 25, I have this, good lumens, recharable in flashlight and it is on sale right now, add the 3400 nirecore battery and you are set. This will also take CR 123 which can be found most places, but are not may favorites.

Horse Soldier

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Louisville Ky
First Name
B
Last Name
Davis
Member #

I got to thinking about mounting a flashlight or two in my truck while Im building it and the question that keeps coming up in my head is which brand?

Ive always used streamlight around my shop as the go to flashlight. Im not sure if thats because the snapon man sells them and that just convenient for me or their actually a better light than whats out there. :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

So I figured why not ask here. So which rechargeable flashlights do yall have in your rigs?
My go to is a streamline stylus pro and Energizer head lamps in my rugs or my semi. Always have a pro and pick knife on me.

Overland_Serenity

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Middleburg Florida
Member #

I second the streamlight stinger. Mine came with the hardware to mount it in my rig and while it charges the internal battery while it's in it's clip, it also can charge a second on the same charger so it does have the quick swap option as well. They are special batteries but you can even buy more for pretty cheap on Amazon, and as far as light goes, if you need more than it puts out then there may be no hope for you. I honestly don't think I have ever run the battery down actually. I don't use it all that much as I carry a little two cell cr123 led light on me for my day to day needs at work. I also got that off of Amazon for about ten bucks, and it is all that I need...

Sent from my LG-H910 using OB Talk mobile app

Gary Stevens

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Reseda California
Member #

I second the streamlight stinger. Mine came with the hardware to mount it in my rig and while it charges the internal battery while it's in it's clip, it also can charge a second on the same charger so it does have the quick swap option as well. They are special batteries but you can even buy more for pretty cheap on Amazon, and as far as light goes, if you need more than it puts out then there may be no hope for you. I honestly don't think I have ever run the battery down actually. I don't use it all that much as I carry a little two cell cr123 led light on me for my day to day needs at work. I also got that off of Amazon for about ten bucks, and it is all that I need...

Just so you know, these 18650 batteries are modified by Streamlight and you can only use a Streamlight branded battery. Which you can get on Amazon, at a reasonable cost, just not as inexpensive as a starndard 18650.

Overland_Serenity

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Middleburg Florida
Member #

The stinger doesn't use 18650s. In fact they don't use lithium at all. And they are completely proprietary yes. There are some on Amazon not made by streamlight that do work, although I'm not sure if they are as reliable, but it's like 15$ for a three pack...

3 Fenzer Rechargeable Flashlight Battery for Streamlight Stinger LED HP, Stinger XT, DS L, HP W, LED, W/ A, W/ D, W/O, XT H, XT W

Reactions: Gary Stevens

Robert Jordan

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Grass Valley, CA
Member #

The stinger doesn't use 18650s. In fact they don't use lithium at all. And they are completely proprietary yes. There are some on Amazon not made by streamlight that do work, although I'm not sure if they are as reliable, but it's like 15$ for a three pack...

3 Fenzer Rechargeable Flashlight Battery for Streamlight Stinger LED HP, Stinger XT, DS L, HP W, LED, W/ A, W/ D, W/O, XT H, XT W
Streamlight 75176...Lithium battery for Stinger. They are all I use.

Sent from my LGMS550 using OB Talk mobile app

cody_roberts

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

US
First Name
Cody
Last Name
Roberts
Member #

I have stremlight for all my needs , they have been fantastic for me . The only one I destroyed didn't stand a chance, took a direct hit from a 9mm. Have had zero issues.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Flash9

Rank I

Contributor III

US
I have been using Streamlight Stingers for several years in the worst environments, they hold up and their warranty is unbeatable.

Reactions: Jedi

MuckSavage

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

South Jersey, NJ, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
McG
Member #

Coast HX5 is my EDC light for 5 years. Inexpensive, good light pattern, slide focus, 2 position clip so you can clip it to a hat brim, AA batteries available anywhere. I typically use a rechargable in it but carry a spare Duracell AA just in case.
Reasonably priced, if I lose it or someone "borrows" it, i'm not heart broken.

Nef

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Kingman, AZ, USA
First Name
Harold
Last Name
Malave
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AC2UD
I pretty much use Fenix, although I have a couple of petzl and black diamond headlamps I use at camp regularly. Big fan of 18650s, just don't buy any with fire in the name. These have proven to be recycled, rebranded 18650 cells that are not even close to the stated capacity.

Maverick1701

Rank I

Off-Road Ranger I

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Tiedemann
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5KBG
We just bought some backup flashlights to keep in our patrol units (in case our streamlights due while on a major scene). They are "Nebo" brand & can be charged via USB. We have the RC Blast model and it's super bright. The website claims 3200 lumens but I think it is a little less in reality. However, the light output is great and the price is only $80.

Jedi

Rank VI
Staff member
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Ferndale, WA USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McClory
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6JDI
I have been using Streamlight Stingers for several years in the worst environments, they hold up and their warranty is unbeatable.
I have so many of these. They are everywhere. One in every bag, vehicle, dresser. I've used Streamlight stuff for 3 decades now and they never let me down.

Reactions: Flash9