Launch Member

Influencer II

Napa Ca
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Stoner
Member #

Years and years ago I quit paying attention to what other people were doing when I realized I needed to buy a $120 pair of jeans to be cool. Life is better this way. $29 jeans cover my legs the same....
Lol wait till you get to costco ,13.99 and they are stretchy if you fatty like me

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Years and years ago I quit paying attention to what other people were doing when I realized I needed to buy a $120 pair of jeans to be cool. Life is better this way. $29 jeans cover my legs the same....
We use to call it keeping up with the Jones's.
That was a good way to stay broke or indebted full time.
I buy what I think I need for my own adventures, which could be more or less than others need, and depending on the depth of the adventure.

Last edited:
Reactions: The other Sean

MrCoffee

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Springfield, Vermont
First Name
Chuck
Last Name
U
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KB1PMW
We use to call it keeping up with the Jones's.
That was a good way to stay broke or indebted full time.
I buy what I think I need for my own adventures, which could be more or less than others need, and depending on the depth of the adventure.
You all a bunch of uncouth heathens........

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

I was unexpectedly overnight out of town for work. I needed clean clothes to get dinner. I went the Red Apple.... almost a Thrift Shop for maybe a tshirt and fleece, anything clean ..... Well the fleece was $11.... the jeans were on sale for $7..... they worked and I did not look like a WalMart customer. yea hah !!

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I was unexpectedly overnight out of town for work. I needed clean clothes to get dinner. I went the Red Apple.... almost a Thrift Shop for maybe a tshirt and fleece, anything clean ..... Well the fleece was $11.... the jeans were on sale for $7..... they worked and I did not look like a WalMart customer. yea hah !!
So your dinner cost you x + $18= $30 and you looked like a yea hah... good show

Buckaroo

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Bramley, Rotherham, South Yorkshire Forest, UK
First Name
Dave
Last Name
M
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
CB Handle: Buckaroo, UK FM Ch.30
Hi, I'm new here but I'm curious about the overlanding I see on many youtube channels. It seems to me that what they're doing is going on flat, very well-worn offroad trails which look like a Corolla could cross them let alone a lifted Jeep. Also I see them crawling along, so I wonder if they might as well be driving Corollas. I had this idea of overlanding being something like long-range off-roading, or off-roading with camping mixed in. Off-roading to me meant crossing a terrain you couldn't in a regular commuter vehicle. Do I have an incorrect concept of overlanding or is what these guys are doing amounts to pretend overlanding?
You are confusing off roading with overlanding, folks were overlanding way before Jeep’s or any other 4x4 were ever invented.

Shannon

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Shannon
Last Name
L.
“Adventure over land” sounds like a great definition to start with. From there it can probably take any form. How about crossing from one area to another via a ferry? But in or on your vehicle? Still seems exciting, enlightening, and “out of the ordinary”. Maybe that should be another phrase to keep in mind.

Haminacan

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Columbia City, Indiana
First Name
First
Last Name
Lastname
Member #

We have decided not to go to overland expo east because the rules say only small trailers are allowed. My truck and camper have gone thru a lot more crap than, for example a 2wd van and an expensive "overland" trailer. My lifted 3/4 ton Diesel and 20 foot camper are not any bigger than the 250k to 1.5million "Overland" rigs they show off there.

Last edited:

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

We have decided not to go to overland expo east because the rules say only small trailers are allowed. My truck and camper have gone thru a lot more crap than, for example a 2wd van and an expensive "overland" trailer. My lifted 3/4 ton Diesel and 20 foot camper are not any bigger than the 250k to 1.5million "Overland" rigs they show off there.
Last Overland Rally I went to, the camping spots were 20' x 20'. So only small trailers could fit.
In general I'd say overlanding is about compact more than Claas A or 5th Wheel.

There are plenty of events where bigger is better.

Haminacan

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Columbia City, Indiana
First Name
First
Last Name
Lastname
Member #

I guess
Last Overland Rally I went to, the camping spots were 20' x 20'. So only small trailers could fit.
In general I'd say overlanding is about compact more than Claas A or 5th Wheel.

There are plenty of events where bigger is better.
We are not class A or 5th wheel. We camp in mostly middle of nowhere or national forest campgrounds. 4WD with a 20 foot camper with 2 feet of ground clearance?

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ridiculous, I don’t care for the expos anyway. I use to like them but they have become a play ground for the elite. IMO

Reactions: Haminacan