Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Lets see something like that that isnt photoshopped. Im sure someone has to be willing to put a prius body on a jeep just cuz.... down here in texas it aint uncommon to see lifted camaros and el caminos ive even seen a 65 mustang lifted here. But ive never seen them off road it is more the idea of i have a small pecker so look at me or look what i can do im a redneck.
When I was a kid monster muscle cars had there own off road racing class in a top truck challenge kind of race. I havent been to the races in years so dont know if they are a class anymore

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

This is a long long thread but I would just like to chime in and say that before getting my Outback I did some epic trips with my Jetta that a lot of people would be jealous of and it did great, granted sometimes I would just need to send it and hope I didn't rip the bumpers off but it was always fun!
Yes, I have friends from the 1970s who did more in a rear wheel drive '65 Chevy II wagon than 90% of the 4 wheelers on this forum do. That station wagon went from Canada to Chile in the '70s. And it got us into more back country skiing than anything I have owned since. We often drove to the base of a glacier to go summer skiing.

internet pic but this was our first "overland" experience... less the fancy wheels
65-wagon-1-1200.jpeg

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Yeah and that is kinda funny. I was born and raised in west texas and i remember that having a worn ring in your back pants pocket from a can of dip was cool and people would stick an empty can in their pocket to get that ring even if they didnt dip. that was in the 70s and 80s so of course its going to be the same thing now only with vehicles and stuff. "posing" and being "fake" is nothing new. texas had the "dime store cowboy" back in the day with the giant belt buckle, pointed boots, western shirt and long belt that had the end hang down to their knees. i grew up on a farm and drove tractors at a very young age shredding cotton stalks and hauling cotton trailers...at no point would a giant belt buckle be comfortable or sensible to wear, but it was "the thing" to wear for the city folk. its just typical people wanting to be special and unique all the while trying desperately to "fit in" or identify with some weird persona they have in their head.
Yep its called all hat and no cattle, got folks living in couldisacs able to touch their neighbors house from their porch yet wear the cowboy get up and drive a king ranch f350 knowing damn well they are going to a cushy office job and not going to tend livestock. I had one of them with a flat tire in front of my house a few weeks ago, i was relaxing when i heard a loud bang when i looked out the window the guy nearly squashed himself under his truck trying to change his rear wheel, the guy completely removed all the lug nuts before he attempted to jack his truck up on a bottle jack, he was attempting to jack it up by the rear axle on black clay and the jack slipped the tire flew off and his king ranch rear hub was sitting in the dirt. I grabbed my hi lift and helped only because i didnt want to have someone die on my property

Reactions: grubworm

Wile_Coyote

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Santa Fe, NM, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
da Gearhead
Member #

Yep its called all hat and no cattle, got folks living in couldisacs able to touch their neighbors house from their porch yet wear the cowboy get up and drive a king ranch f350 knowing damn well they are going to a cushy office job and not going to tend livestock...............
dang, sounds like me, 'cept I can't afford a King Ranch F350, but do go to an office (cubicle) job, and drive my Camry to get to that job.
I have a really nice Cowboy hat that I wear when fishing; great cover for the head and stays on my noggin. It sorta matches the 45 in the back pocket when out and about fishing. Never know when those fish are gonna jump outta river and flat-out attack you.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

found this on another forum, this defines how I see overlanding, a higher purpose than the drive

Reactions: Louiston

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
wow, this "overlanding" stuff is getting very complicated...

i read the criteria for an "expedition" from what Billybob just posted from expedition portal.

from now on, i'm just calling what i do "going outside to play"