Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Columbia City, Indiana
First Name
First
Last Name
Lastname
Member #

So overlanding is "offroad" driving? Does a gravel or dirt road qualify as offroad? What percent of the trip has to be offroad? If I see a Prius while I am "offroad" am I disqualified?

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Maybe we should start a list of vehicles, accessories and activities that will enable us to determine if a person is a real or fake overlander. Must have one from column A, 2 from B and 2 from C to be real.
There kind of already is for offroading. If you are offroading in any vehicle that wasn't explicitly built to be off road like something awd or 2wd you are classified as a softroader( most of your time is on pavement but every now and then you get a little dirty), if you have a vehicle that is meant to be offroad aka 4x4 and you spend most of your time offroad then you are a offroader. If you have a 4x4 and only go off road once or twice a year but spend most of your time in parking lots your classified as a mall crawler. Then there are the bro trucks with massive lifts big rims and thin tires which never see any offroad action. Overlanding is simply getting from point a to point b and camping. It dont really matter if your on or off road but if you dont do offroad camping why even bother getting into the overland scene? Why not just join some other camping forums? Since most "overlanding" is geared toward offroad vehicles offroading is a major part of the game.

Reactions: JCWages

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

when people talk about off road, i immediately think Prius....

View attachment 119954
LOL mine was the opposite. I lowered it and ran 17" Centerline wheels. It was terrible off-road but handled well on-road and still got 48mpg hauling land management gear. Nothing quite like watching a rancher drive by slowly in his F250 to watch you repairing a fence out of the back of a Prius. They started calling my car the King Ranch edition whenever I rolled into the farm supply store for materials.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
LOL mine was the opposite. I lowered it and ran 17" Centerline wheels. It was terrible off-road but handled well on-road and still got 48mpg hauling land management gear. Nothing quite like watching a rancher drive by slowly in his F250 to watch you repairing a fence out of the back of a Prius. They started calling my car the King Ranch edition whenever I rolled into the farm supply store for materials.

ok...that's pretty good!
and the pic of you snoozing against the gate post with the Prius in the background...love it! :sunglasses:

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

ok...that's pretty good!
and the pic of you snoozing against the gate post with the Prius in the background...love it! :sunglasses:
Thanks mate! I'll try to find the pic where I mounted a goat skull and horns on the hood. The Prius didn't have enough HP to run a set of cattle horns. lol

billum v2.0

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Flyover Country
Member #

You had me...............................until I caught the big A$$ subwoofer.

You've got to be the first fence mender doing it for the Gram. You're obviously doing it wrong. Real fence menders would......... ;-)

As for the rest of the thread.......do what you want, call it what you will, clean up after yourself and we're all good.

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

You had me...............................until I caught the big A$$ subwoofer.

You've got to be the first fence mender doing it for the Gram. You're obviously doing it wrong. Real fence menders would......... ;-)

As for the rest of the thread.......do what you want, call it what you will, clean up after yourself and we're all good.
That photo was taken way before the Gram was a thing. I'd remove the sub when I needed to haul more gear. ;)

But you're right. I try to get my pup to do the work for me. lol

billum v2.0

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Flyover Country
Member #

But you're right. I try to get my pup to do the work for me. lol
Atta Boy.

We have a couple hundred posts to set on my son-in-law's land before the ground freezes this Fall. Sure you know how many friends "aren't available" when post setting/fence stretching comes up. You and Elle do "by the hour"? California to Iowa is a pretty good trip, bring the Prius.

Bill

• Haha

slomatt

Rank V

Influencer I

Bay Area, CA
Maybe we should start a list of vehicles, accessories and activities that will enable us to determine if a person is a real or fake overlander. Must have one from column A, 2 from B and 2 from C to be real.
What if we set up a points system where the scoring is determined by a group of super overlanders who are elected by other certified overlanders and who serve a 3 year term? They would add up all the points you earn, and if you exceed a certain score then you get to call yourself an "overlander". If you don't score high enough then you have to call yourself an "offroader" or some other less impressive sounding name. People could re-apply after they add more patches or make other overland worthy upgrades. It should be easy to come to a consensus on exactly what mods are a must-have for overlanders.

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

What if we set up a points system where the scoring is determined by a group of super overlanders who are elected by other certified overlanders and who serve a 3 year term? They would add up all the points you earn, and if you exceed a certain score then you get to call yourself an "overlander". If you don't score high enough then you have to call yourself an "offroader" or some other less impressive sounding name. People could re-apply after they add more patches or make other overland worthy upgrades. It should be easy to come to a consensus on exactly what mods are a must-have for overlanders.
Sweet! I'm going to try for a low score so I can get a "Mall Crawler" badge. :sunglasses:

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Do they have a badge for:
'' Chainsaw King. Making every trail 10' wide. ''

?

• Haha

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
That's perfect. I think we should use patches anyways. That way I can stop walking around with my jeeps half door.

I need a smokey bear patch as well.
'' I start forest fires. ''

And a ''This is your brain on overlanding''
But the patch just has a picture of a porterhouse steak, over a camp fire.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

What about a campaign to get all the offroad vehicles than never see dirt to get out and see some, start printing out maps to locations with general instructions how to offroad and putting them under wipers of all offroad vehicles you see in parking lots. The "a little dirt don't hurt campaign"

I think it would be fun to park nearby and watch the reactions

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Heck, we need that right here. Post a shiny pic, and someone replies with some maps and coordinates. [go here, newb]

My truck has no mud left on it. Feel free to post any Ohio, or midwest, fullsize friendly routes, coordinates, anything.

Cpol

Rank IX
Launch Member

World Traveler III

Jackson Heights, Queens, NY, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Pol
Member #

Iam a fisherman a night anglers, my vehicle is catered to what I do with the family and on my own. Videos are marketing and informational materials that are used to help others identify what they need on there vehicle, where to camp with there vehicle. And at time serve as visual aid on what to do and what not to do.. worry about what you have and what you need and where to go and have fun with it. Hope to see your video.. and a carola won’t make it in or out of the sand...

Reactions: MidOH

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

Sweet! I'm going to try for a low score so I can get a "Mall Crawler" badge. :sunglasses:
No, you have to have a Grand to be a real Mall Crawler. This is all about finding ways to exclude people, right?

They are out there

I've reaaaaaaally thought about these for my WJ!

That's perfect. I think we should use patches anyways. That way I can stop walking around with my jeeps half door.

I need a smokey bear patch as well.
'' I start forest fires. ''

And a ''This is your brain on overlanding''
But the patch just has a picture of a porterhouse steak, over a camp fire.
Hah, I like both ideas!

Heck, we need that right here. Post a shiny pic, and someone replies with some maps and coordinates. [go here, newb]

My truck has no mud left on it. Feel free to post any Ohio, or midwest, fullsize friendly routes, coordinates, anything.
Maybe we need an Overlanding version of the 9th Green at 9?

-TJ

PS- am I just an idiot, or is there no easy way to multi-quote? I just see the "Reply" button to single-quote a post, but I've been manually building up my multi-quotes...