Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Lol at the empty rotopack. I'm just going to glue one to my truck.

I'm getting there, It's going to be hard to continue resisting a slide in camper when my trucks paid off. What sucks, is a wee little camper costs the same as a nicer than average 25'+ TT.

But shower and sleeping im AC are my main wants. I'm considering deleting the stove top, and fridge if that space can be better used for other things.

Reactions: grubworm

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
Lol at the empty rotopack. I'm just going to glue one to my truck.

I'm getting there, It's going to be hard to continue resisting a slide in camper when my trucks paid off. What sucks, is a wee little camper costs the same as a nicer than average 25'+ TT.

But shower and sleeping im AC are my main wants. I'm considering deleting the stove top, and fridge if that space can be better used for other things.
yeah, the wife and i did a lot of tent camping out the back of the tundra and was thinking about getting a camper shell and a bed slide out and work with that. A nice shell and slide out was almost $6K. I saw the small camper trailer for $12K and figured it would be a lot more practical to go that route. my ex and i traveled a lot and did motel rooms...about $1200 a week, so 10 weeks of camping in the trailer and i'm even and everything past that is a savings...plus id rather be out in the boonies instead of in a motel.
when i was a young kid, we lived in a slide in camper for a couple of years and traveled around...it wsn't that bad. the slide in campers are nice and you get to have everything right there with you. i actually like both a lot and prefer the trailer camper because i will do some base camping and like having the truck free for other stuff

its all somewhat expensive, but doing motels and restaurants is very expensive and nothing to show for it afterward. my wife and i love to go boondocking and exploring just the two of us. for me, my time doing that with her is worth every penny i spend and then some, so i need no justification beyond that, thats money well spent to me

Last edited:
Reactions: MidOH

Specter

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Northern VA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Pukish
Member #

Hi, I'm new here but I'm curious about the overlanding I see on many youtube channels. It seems to me that what they're doing is going on flat, very well-worn offroad trails which look like a Corolla could cross them let alone a lifted Jeep. Also I see them crawling along, so I wonder if they might as well be driving Corollas. I had this idea of overlanding being something like long-range off-roading, or off-roading with camping mixed in. Off-roading to me meant crossing a terrain you couldn't in a regular commuter vehicle. Do I have an incorrect concept of overlanding or is what these guys are doing amounts to pretend overlanding?
When I was younger I ran a marathon. I bought running shoes, trained for months and prepared in every way for the race. The week of the marathon I picked up my race packet, visited all of the booths at the starting point, fueled properly, hydrated and rested. Early in the race I remember being passed my an old man - he had to be in his 70’s. He was barefoot, has no shirt on and no race number. When the race ended I looked for him to see if he had finished. After being unable to find him I asked a volunteer there if they had seen him. The woman responded, “ yes, he is still running”. Confused because I don’t remember passing him a second time, I inquired where he was on the course. The woman responded with an answer that I’ll never forget, “he isn’t on the course, he is probably ten miles beyond it at this point - he runs this way everyday and goes out for forty, fifty and even a hundred miles at a time”. I learned a valuable lesson that day. At the start of the race I didn’t consider the old man a serious runner, and, at the end of the race and after hearing about the old man, I didn’t consider myself a serious runner. We all have a different perspective on overlanding. There are people here who won’t give you the time of day if you have a clean rig or a Hi-lift jack and shovel that don’t look like they’ve been used, and there are people here who won’t travel with you if it doesn’t look like you take care of your equipment. There are people here who have rigs that take them to and from work each day, and are mostly stock with the exception of baby seats in the back seat, and there are those who have fully modified and dedicated expedition vehicles. For most of us our rig is a vehicle, for others it is a home. Some people here rarely leave their local off-road trails and consider themselves hardcore, while others only use their rig for the most remote of places and don’t consider themselves experienced at all. But despite our differences, we are all brought together because we love to get into a vehicle and explore - no matter what terrain, what environment or what it is called. Later in life I had the honor of meeting the old man that passed me during the marathon. When I introduced myself there was a part of me that feared he wouldn’t take me seriously as a runner - but he did. “I may not run marathons like you, wear a number like you or even share the same perspective on running as you do, but at the end of the day we both leave the house in the morning for the purpose of getting out and putting one foot in front of the other”. My point is this - forget the title overlanding and what it does or does not include. Do what you do and respect others for doing what they do. We are all just here because of our love for putting the rig in drive and setting out.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
When I was younger I ran a marathon. I bought running shoes, trained for months and prepared in every way for the race. The week of the marathon I picked up my race packet, visited all of the booths at the starting point, fueled properly, hydrated and rested. Early in the race I remember being passed my an old man - he had to be in his 70’s. He was barefoot, has no shirt on and no race number. When the race ended I looked for him to see if he had finished. After being unable to find him I asked a volunteer there if they had seen him. The woman responded, “ yes, he is still running”. Confused because I don’t remember passing him a second time, I inquired where he was on the course. The woman responded with an answer that I’ll never forget, “he isn’t on the course, he is probably ten miles beyond it at this point - he runs this way everyday and goes out for forty, fifty and even a hundred miles at a time”. I learned a valuable lesson that day. At the start of the race I didn’t consider the old man a serious runner, and, at the end of the race and after hearing about the old man, I didn’t consider myself a serious runner. We all have a different perspective on overlanding. There are people here who won’t give you the time of day if you have a clean rig or a Hi-lift jack and shovel that don’t look like they’ve been used, and there are people here who won’t travel with you if it doesn’t look like you take care of your equipment. There are people here who have rigs that take them to and from work each day, and are mostly stock with the exception of baby seats in the back seat, and there are those who have fully modified and dedicated expedition vehicles. For most of us our rig is a vehicle, for others it is a home. Some people here rarely leave their local off-road trails and consider themselves hardcore, while others only use their rig for the most remote of places and don’t consider themselves experienced at all. But despite our differences, we are all brought together because we love to get into a vehicle and explore - no matter what terrain, what environment or what it is called. Later in life I had the honor of meeting the old man that passed me during the marathon. When I introduced myself there was a part of me that feared he wouldn’t take me seriously as a runner - but he did. “I may not run marathons like you, wear a number like you or even share the same perspective on running as you do, but at the end of the day we both leave the house in the morning for the purpose of getting out and putting one foot in front of the other”. My point is this - forget the title overlanding and what it does or does not include. Do what you do and respect others for doing what they do. We are all just here because of our love for putting the rig in drive and setting out.
Damn! A VERY well spoken way to put things in perspective!
Cant follow that with anything but two thumbs up...

Reactions: Ghost

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
My point is this - forget the title overlanding and what it does or does not include. Do what you do and respect others for doing what they do. We are all just here because of our love for putting the rig in drive and setting out.
He get's it! If others don't oh well.

In previous posts on this thread some mentioned some folks like to stir the pot. You see that everywhere on social media and it takes away from the positive aspects of it. I just try not to take the bait. I am not perfect though. Let miserable people be miserable. If one day the wake up and change their tune fantastic. I was a very angry negative individual in my youth for some very valid reasons and some not valid. If they die miserable oh well. Keyboard warriors are useless individuals. If you are on Facebook, read news story comments, etc look at how many random people argue with each other. It's stupid. OB Forums have been mostly devoid of these types of folks and I hope it stays that way. The internet has taught me there are a lot more stupid people on this planet than I thought. Oh well.

I will try to make this my last comment because I also agree this thread has had too much life and time is better spent discussing gear vs what others think. I could care less.

Go out and explore!

Overland Omnivore

US MidWest Region Local Expert
Investor

Explorer I

New Albany, IN
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Price
Member #

Dallas to Anchorage Alaska is a less-than-3-day trip according to Google Maps. Basically that means there are highways that will take you all the way across the North American continent. I mean IS there such a thing as "overland" travel in the US and Canada? Would I need to go explore deep into the Arctic before going into "overland" territory?

There's these Earthroamer off-road capable "expedition" campers. 900 mile range, nice appointments, etc. But for a half million dollars for what amounts to a tough truck camper....if I had that kind of money I'd buy a big sailboat and cross the Atlantic. I would be center of attention at the overland camp though.

So, could I just get a used van, put a bed and portable toilet in the back and basically do overlanding? It seems like you wouldn't even need a tent.
Took me 5 days to get across Indiana on an overlanding trip....I could have done it on the interstate in 4 hours but the destination is not the point. On our trip we started with 7 rigs and 16 people...after the first day we had a hydro locked rig I had to winch out of 3 foot of water...by the time we got to Lake Michigan there were 3 rigs and 5 people....so if you think there is no good overlanding in the US or Canada you really need to get out of the armchair and off the computer and explore the world more...as far as bashing others and their rigs; I can't follow your logic there...I've seen a Jeep Renegade take on the gnar and Jeeps Wranglers broke down on a road...if you think overlanding is about 'grams and You Tube views your are mistaken....come join me October 3 if you want...KY, WV, VA along the DBBB, KAT and Hatfield and McCoy, bring your rig and lets see whats happen....

DoubleA_FL

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Florida, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
DoubleA
Member #

To me, overlanding is anything you cant do in a camper. For me, overlanding does include camping and when I see even the little campers, they in no way could handle any sort of offroad situation, heck, I've been to campsites that even the tiny van RVs couldn't make it to. When I think about overlanding, it's going everywhere where they cant. Making the experience that much better and that much less crowded.

AA

Hi, I'm new here but I'm curious about the overlanding I see on many youtube channels. It seems to me that what they're doing is going on flat, very well-worn offroad trails which look like a Corolla could cross them let alone a lifted Jeep. Also I see them crawling along, so I wonder if they might as well be driving Corollas. I had this idea of overlanding being something like long-range off-roading, or off-roading with camping mixed in. Off-roading to me meant crossing a terrain you couldn't in a regular commuter vehicle. Do I have an incorrect concept of overlanding or is what these guys are doing amounts to pretend overlanding?

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
I'm going to have to say "YES"...
If you can afford it, You wont regret it. I have my Scamp trailer for civilized sites, but if I leave it at home I still want a tail gate kit in my LRD2. I like to eat good just like at home.

Last edited:

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
If I want to go camping I grab a backpack and some dehydrated meals, If I want my wife to come along the teardrop gets stocked with all the fixings for a gourmet meal.

Man I want to go backpacking.
LOL, does that mean you'd rather leave your better half at home ??

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
I'll never understand teardrop trailers. But whatever, it's cool that people still get out there.
damn MidOH, i just saw the pic of your rig! no wonder you like don't a tear-drop....it wouldn't hold 1/10th of your gear!!!

Last edited:

flyfisher117

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Idaho
First Name
John
Last Name
Hansen
Member #

Kind of tired of the "overlanding scene" because its just a big competition. In the US its an odd mixture of offroaders and campers all trying to outcompete to see who truly is the most #overlandasf%^#.

I dont really call what I do overlanding, even though the way I do it is in true overland fashion.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
In the US its an odd mixture of offroaders and campers all trying to outcompete
yeah, thats definitely some of the vibe. i see you are in idaho. idaho is one of the few states that has land people can get on. if you grew up there, you are more used to that and have a different mindset. i spent a lot of time in texas and louisiana where EVERYTHING is private property. you set foot on it, youre either getting shot (texas) or getting cops called on you (louisiana) so when a lot of the people in that environment get a chance to get out on some land, they lose their mind. you probably can get out and do stuff whenever you want so your time is in actual camping, etc. places like here, people cant get out much and will have to travel a ways to find land to get on and are limited to getting out on big trips during their vacation days, so rest of the year all they can really do is add gear and "out compete" each other since they are not getting out and about actually using their gear...

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Kind of tired of the "overlanding scene" because its just a big competition. In the US its an odd mixture of offroaders and campers all trying to outcompete to see who truly is the most #overlandasf%^#.

I dont really call what I do overlanding, even though the way I do it is in true overland fashion.
Call it as you will, no ones cares what it's called, at least not me. I agree that 80% of it is getting to the destination, after that it's whatever you do best !

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign

That's a real confusing statement. It's like saying you don't know where you are when your there already !! Grubworm hit it on the head, if your there already, you don't need to travel. By the time we get there it's going to be for some overlanding on new open territory.

oldmopars

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Selah Wa
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Solomon
Member #

I have been involved in the motorcycle community for a number of years, and over there they call it Adventure Riding. Basically you ride non-paved roads to cool destinations and camp off of your motorcycle. Half way between backpacking and Overlanding.

However after the series "Long Way Around" came out, staring Ewin McGregor and Charlie Borman, the ADV community exploded and BMW's sold like hot cakes. You have guys thinking they are Ewin and Charlie running around on fully outfitted BMWs and the farthest they go in them is to the local Starbucks because they found out that sleeping on the ground and wrestling a 650lb motorcycle over rocks is not easy. Makes good TV, but is hard in real life.
It became very popular to outfit your bike like you were going to have a Round the World Adventure, but never go. The guys with big money go get all the cool stuff from the big names in the game and show the stuff off to their buddies to look cool.
The evidence of this can be seen by shopping for a used BMW R1200GSA. You can find a lot of these bikes outfitted to the max, and not have a scratch on them anywhere.
To some extent I think you will see that in any community even here.

Scott Murray

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Leinster WA, Australia
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Murray
Member #

Historically, "overlanding" is an Australian term to denote the droving of livestock over very long distances to open up new country or to take livestock to market far from grazing grounds. Between 1906 and 1910 Alfred Canning opened up the Canning Stock Route.