Explorer I

Fulltime Travelers
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Highland
Member #

New mod installed

We just added the Titan Fuel Tanks Trail Trekker II to our overlanding arsenal.

We opted for this fuel tank rather than the Rotopax for several reasons:

First off, this tank holds 12 gallons. Yes 12.

Secondly, the tank is grounded, vented, and has rollover protection. Because it is grounded, there is no need to take the tank on and off to add or siphon fuel.

Lastly this tank boasts a lifetime warranty.

We’ll be taking this bad boy overlanding to Mexico with us in January.

Haven't used it yet so can't really answer any usage questions. But if there are any other questions, let me know I'll do my best to answer if anyone is curious.

Eric AKA Jeepsies

Titan-Fuel-Tanks-Trail-Trekker-II-Fuel-Tank-Jeep.jpg

Hourless Life

Rank VI
Investor

Explorer I

Fulltime Travelers
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Highland
Member #

That's sweet. Does that only work with certain tire carriers?
Yes.

I copied this from their site. Hopefully it helps:

Aftermarket Bumper / Tire Carrier Fitment:
• Ace Pro Series Rear Bumper with Tire Carrier • ADD Venom Tire Carrier • ARB Tire Carrier & Bumper • Bestop Rear Bumper with Tire Carrier • Currie Tire Carrier • EVO Hinged Tire Carrier • Fab Fours JK Rear Bumper with Tire Carrier • Garvin G2 • Poison Spyder Rock Brawler II Rear Bumper w/Tire Carrier (trimming of license plate extension may be required) • RBP Pro-Series Rear bumper & Tire Carrier • Red Rock 4x4 Hinged Tire Carrier • Rock Hard Patriot Series • Rock Slide Engineering Rigid Rear Bumper and Tire Carrier • Rugged Ridge XHD Rear Bumper with Swing and Lock Tire Carrier • Rugged Ridge HD Tire Carrier Kit for JK • Slee Off Road Swing Out Carrier • Smittybilt XRC Rear Bumper with Tire Carrier • Teraflex Hinged Carrier with Stock JK Tire Mount • Teraflex Hinged Carrier and Adjustable Tire Mount • Warn Rock Crawler Rear Bumper and Tire Carrier • Warn Elite Series Rear Bumper and Tire Carrier • Wilco Off Road Hitch Gate • Check with TITAN for additional fitments not listed here.

Reactions: MazeVX and MoreGone

Heartland Overland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Gretna, NE, USA
First Name
Brandon
Last Name
Talley
Member #

New mod installed

We just added the Titan Fuel Tanks Trail Trekker II to our overlanding arsenal.

We opted for this fuel tank rather than the Rotopax for several reasons:

First off, this tank holds 12 gallons. Yes 12.

Secondly, the tank is grounded, vented, and has rollover protection. Because it is grounded, there is no need to take the tank on and off to add or siphon fuel.

Lastly this tank boasts a lifetime warranty.

We’ll be taking this bad boy overlanding to Mexico with us in January.

Haven't used it yet so can't really answer any usage questions. But if there are any other questions, let me know I'll do my best to answer if anyone is curious.

Eric AKA Jeepsies

View attachment 77900
After having the Titan tank for a while what are your thoughts? I have been eyeing this tank vs Rotopax but haven't found many people that have them. Would like any pros/cons that you can provide. Thanks

Reactions: Hourless Life

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

I had a good long talk with this company at the unlimited offroad show and at 4wp truck and jeep fest. They have tanks for just about everything the products seem well made but for what they cost they had better be. My fuel tank is pretty big to begin with and my truck has great gas mileage so i didnt buy one but if i ever get something else with a smaller tank or bad mileage i would definately go with them.

Reactions: Hourless Life

RoyB

Rank IV

Contributor II

Boston
First Name
Roy
Last Name
Bertalotto
How is it grounded? Only way would be to drag a ground strap or deploy a ground strap when filling.
Looks good!

Reactions: mountainrecce

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

I'd like to see them make one similar with a transverse fitment for Jeep Gladiator (and similar mid size).ETA : across the front of the bed.

That said, I would be worried about the weight on that back door/tire carrier.

Reactions: 64Trvlr

Hourless Life

Rank VI
Investor

Explorer I

Fulltime Travelers
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Highland
Member #

After having the Titan tank for a while what are your thoughts? I have been eyeing this tank vs Rotopax but haven't found many people that have them. Would like any pros/cons that you can provide. Thanks
So for FUEL we think this tank is superior to Rotopax. I wrote an article about it here: Titan Vs Rotopax

As far as how it has performed over time, in a word fantastic. It is really nice to be able to add over a half tank of fuel in 6 minutes out off grid. We've used it quite a bit because we travel fulltime. Hope that helps. ~ Eric

Reactions: Heartland Overland

Hourless Life

Rank VI
Investor

Explorer I

Fulltime Travelers
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Highland
Member #

How is it grounded? Only way would be to drag a ground strap or deploy a ground strap when filling.
Looks good!
Sorry for the delayed reply Roy, we've been traveling. So it is grounded by a ground wire directly to the vehicle. You can read more about our thoughts on this tank on an article I wrote here: Titan Fuel Tank Trail Trekker II

Here's a photo from that article. Hope that helps. ~ Eric

Screen Shot 2019-12-20 at 9.17.04 AM.png

Reactions: MazeVX

RoyB

Rank IV

Contributor II

Boston
First Name
Roy
Last Name
Bertalotto
Thanks for the reply, but still not "earth grounded" to the pump. Be careful with this. Plastic cans , gasoline and static electricity is a bad day!

Reactions: M Rose

Hourless Life

Rank VI
Investor

Explorer I

Fulltime Travelers
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Highland
Member #

I'd like to see them make one similar with a transverse fitment for Jeep Gladiator (and similar mid size).ETA : across the front of the bed.

That said, I would be worried about the weight on that back door/tire carrier.
It is about 100 lbs full. You definitely need to upgrade the tire carrier. For the Jeep JKU the TeraFlex JK Alpha Hinged Tire Carrier is what we use and can more than handle this weight plus up to a 37 series spare in addition. Wrote an article about the tire carrier here: Teraflex Tire Carrier

Sorry for the delayed response, we've been on the road. ~ Eric

Reactions: bgenlvtex

mountainrecce

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Colorado Springs, CO 80920, USA
First Name
Chad
Last Name
Edwards
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD0VGV
@Jeepsies thanks for the right up and the comparison between Rotopax and Titan. From the pictures it looks like you are using the stock tire carrier? If so, did you put a hinge and tailgate support kit in? Any info would help. Thanks

Hourless Life

Rank VI
Investor

Explorer I

Fulltime Travelers
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Highland
Member #

@Jeepsies thanks for the right up and the comparison between Rotopax and Titan. From the pictures it looks like you are using the stock tire carrier? If so, did you put a hinge and tailgate support kit in? Any info would help. Thanks
Great question. I know it looks like the stock carrier, but it is not and I DEFINITELY would not recommend that you use this tank and/or an oversized tire on the stock tailgate. The tire carrier we use is the TeraFlex JK Alpha Hinged Tire Carrier and I wrote an article on this carrier if you have interest in reading it.

This article will also explain why you'd never want to put that kind of weight on the stock carrier. Hope it helps. ~ Eric

Here's the article: TeraFlex JK Alpha Hinged Tire Carrier

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Like RoyB said, your fuel tank needs to have a static ground line from tank to a metal grounding rod stuck in the earth while fueling. A 3 foot iron pipe with steel cable and a Set of jumper cables running between the pipe and the tank ground pictured above would be more than sufficient to keep a static electricity spark from occurring.
And yes it does happen, and yes it’s very dangerous.

I used to work on refueling trucks for many years. I never did any tank work without grounding the fuel tank.

OffWheelin

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Torrance, CA
Member #

"your fuel tank needs to have a static ground line from tank to a metal grounding rod stuck in the earth while fueling"
[/QUOTE]

Most new vehicles have plastic fuel tanks grounded to the chassis. The Titan tank is the same design. Filling the Titan at a gas station is no different than filling the main vehicle tank.

dboy

Rank III

Traveler III

Oregon
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Jaquith
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KF7LDA
Like RoyB said, your fuel tank needs to have a static ground line from tank to a metal grounding rod stuck in the earth while fueling. A 3 foot iron pipe with steel cable and a Set of jumper cables running between the pipe and the tank ground pictured above would be more than sufficient to keep a static electricity spark from occurring.
And yes it does happen, and yes it’s very dangerous.

I used to work on refueling trucks for many years. I never did any tank work without grounding the fuel tank.
Filling up your lawn mower on the weekend must be an ordeal, with driving a ground rod and all.

• Haha
Reactions: Jim SoG

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
Eric old thread but how did that tank do over time?

Jim