Launch Member

Advocate II

Scituate, Massachusetts
First Name
Joe
Last Name
Reimels
Member #

So I'd been looking at all the options of roof rack baskets out there and decided to build my own. Figured it wouldn't be hard. Looked at other peoples builds and the DepHep and Garvin drop-ins for ideas. So this DIY build I thought I'd share.

It's a simple design 30"x48" Aluminum basket like the uni-strut's most people are building. Some items I got were free others payed for. All items can be found or substituted for your needs. I work at a lumber yard so some items i got a discount. Angle was a little tougher to locate. Overall price was about 250$ including what the free stuff might cost. I chose to leave it bare to help reflect the heat away from the already black roof.

Materials used:

1/4" x 2" x 4' Aluminum Flat Bar 6pcs
1 3/4" x 8' C-Channel Aluminum 1pcs
2 1/4" x 8' C-Channel Aluminum 1pcs
3" x 5" x 1/2" Angle Iron cut to 6 3" pcs
1/4 x20 x 1" Aluminum Hex Bolts box of 25
1/4" Aluminum Washers bag of 50
1/4" Aluminum Lock nuts box of 25
5/16" x 2" Aluminum Hex Bolts 2 boxes of 10
5/16" Aluminum Washers bag of 50
5/16" Aluminum Lock Nuts box of 25
2" x 3/8" Zinc Vibration Damping Pipe Clamps 6 each
Rubber roofing 6 1" strips

The hardware I ordered from McMASTER-CARR.com

2017-04-17 17.05.41.jpg

The hardware used and laying out my design. Above:
End of rack and mounting bracket. Below
2017-04-18 18.21.22.jpg2017-04-18 18.21.55.jpg 2017-04-18 19.36.07.jpg

The crossbars measure 30" and the rest are all 48" long.
Brackets are mounted 7" from front and back ends. Center is 22" behind the front. As you can see it splits the Xterra logo nicely. Check out my build for other things I've done. Any questions feel free to ask. I'd include the links but still new to this whole thread building.

AdvNerd

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler III

Austin, TX
This is awesome! I've been trying to figure out how to build a low profile rack without welding. I need a place to toss fuel and Maxtraxs without sacrificing aerodynamics. This gives me some great ideas! Thanks for sharing!

Reactions: CapeXterra

Tomo San

Rank 0

Traveler I

New Hampshire
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Jewell
This looks great! I've been considering something similar on mine as well, would like to try to keep it a lower profile.

The vibration dampening clamps are key! Nice find on those!

Reactions: CapeXterra

CapeXterra

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Scituate, Massachusetts
First Name
Joe
Last Name
Reimels
Member #

So an update on my rack build. The cross bars should have been 31" as then trimmed down to avoid having to slot them. Also finished the top basket portion with some more c-channel and 2" aluminum angle. I'm very pleased with how it came out and it's super strong.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: Tomo San

RedSheep

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member I

Harpersfield, NY
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Oakley
Member #

Here is how I made my own recessed Xterra roof rack .. about $50 in parts from Lowes .., and I have a pair of take-down shotgun cases that I keep my Colman stove and camp-kitchen stuff in ..both of which fit side by side and still stay under the factor rack line so as to not get hung up on trees but also have a set pf larger totes that fit up there if I need more room

Made the rack back around '01 or '02 and it's still on the tuck and working just as well as when I first put it on

Attachments