DIY-Low Cost Swing Down Hitch Mount Spare Tire Rack

• HTML tutorial

Kyle & Kari Frink

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

San Diego, California
Member #

Well, that seems to be a mouthful but I wanted to make sure that it would show up in the search bar for the next guy looking for an inexpensive way to mount your spare tire to your hitch. When I started this endeavor I had looked and looked for a quality hitch mount spare tire holder that didn’t cost $1000.00.
Don’t get me wrong, I would love to get the Wilco Max but my budget just didn’t allow it while trying to do other upgrades to my rig like a rear coil over lift.

So, I ordered the Curt brand spare tire holder thinking it would buy me some time to save up for the Wilco. However, when it arrived and I got the tire mounted up with a two inch spacer I noticed how dang heavy and awkward the thing was to take on and off every time you want to get into the rear hatch. So, back to the drawing board(Amazon and google image search). Here I found the “TMS Folding 2 Inch Trailer Hitch Mount Shank Adapter Cargo Wheelchair Carrier Fold Up” - great title name huh? So, now I’m into this setup for $69.00 for the Curt tire carrier and $36.00 for the folding receiver.

Now, to put them together.... Super easy actually! Basically cut off the lower half of the tire carrier at the weld. I’d suggest to be careful not to cut too close to the down tube as you want to avoid any damage to the structural integrity of this bar. I used a cut off while and cut within ⅛” of the down tube. I then put a flap sander disk on the grinder and cleaned up the tube. It’s important to make sure you get this nice and smooth as this is what is now going to slide into the hitch receiver on the folding hitch mount. Unfortunately I didn’t take any pictures until I was done because I didn’t think it was going to turn out as nice as it did...

*decided since I didn’t take picture I would draw some for you instead -

After the down tube is cleaned up drop it into the fold down hitch mount receiver and measure out the 4 holes that need to be drilled out for the pins. Pop in either pins or a bolt or a combo of the two like I did and you have a swinging spare tire mount that will move out of the way to access your back hatch.

*These are the 4 holes that need to be drilled out of the down tube - use the holes already drilled on the folding hitch as reference -

A few other things you could add - I decided that the tire was swinging way too far down after I tested it out, so I added a bump stop using the lower pin holes that were already there. For this I just used a bolt and a piece of vinyl tubing that I had laying around. Now the spare tire swings down to a little more than a 45 degree angle that turns out to be pretty perfect for my setup. Lastly, paint everything you ground down to make it look pretty and keep from rusting and boom! Your done!

*This is the hole that I installed the bump stop that was just a bolt with a bit of vinyl drain line on the outside.

I hope this helps someone out along the way. It was a fun project that took about two hours to put together. If you have any questions or I wasn’t clear on something feel free to ask away!

CURT 31006 Hitch-Mounted Spare Tire Mount
TMS Folding 2 Inch Trailer Hitch Mount Shank Adapter Cargo Wheelchair Carrier Fold Up

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk
Legit! Making something work for ya, I like it!

Reactions: SKMayers

JasKolp

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Idaho, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Kolp
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4TLR
This is a good design. I'm going to use it or something similar for my ML320!

Ahhh. Yeah, the shank adapter is what I got. For me, the tire carrier wont work. I have a Dodge Raider, that I'm running 37's on. I will just make the tire carrier part out of some thick 2" square tubing and some 3/8" plate steel.

Crispy

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Redmond, OR, USA
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Crisp
Member #

I show that the adapter is still out of stock, but glad to hear one came up for sale.

Craigoh

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Burlingame, CA
First Name
Craig
Last Name
King
Member #

Well, that seems to be a mouthful but I wanted to make sure that it would show up in the search bar for the next guy looking for an inexpensive way to mount your spare tire to your hitch. When I started this endeavor I had looked and looked for a quality hitch mount spare tire holder that didn’t cost $1000.00.
Don’t get me wrong, I would love to get the Wilco Max but my budget just didn’t allow it while trying to do other upgrades to my rig like a rear coil over lift.

So, I ordered the Curt brand spare tire holder thinking it would buy me some time to save up for the Wilco. However, when it arrived and I got the tire mounted up with a two inch spacer I noticed how dang heavy and awkward the thing was to take on and off every time you want to get into the rear hatch. So, back to the drawing board(Amazon and google image search). Here I found the “TMS Folding 2 Inch Trailer Hitch Mount Shank Adapter Cargo Wheelchair Carrier Fold Up” - great title name huh? So, now I’m into this setup for $69.00 for the Curt tire carrier and $36.00 for the folding receiver.

Now, to put them together.... Super easy actually! Basically cut off the lower half of the tire carrier at the weld. I’d suggest to be careful not to cut too close to the down tube as you want to avoid any damage to the structural integrity of this bar. I used a cut off while and cut within ⅛” of the down tube. I then put a flap sander disk on the grinder and cleaned up the tube. It’s important to make sure you get this nice and smooth as this is what is now going to slide into the hitch receiver on the folding hitch mount. Unfortunately I didn’t take any pictures until I was done because I didn’t think it was going to turn out as nice as it did...

*decided since I didn’t take picture I would draw some for you instead -

After the down tube is cleaned up drop it into the fold down hitch mount receiver and measure out the 4 holes that need to be drilled out for the pins. Pop in either pins or a bolt or a combo of the two like I did and you have a swinging spare tire mount that will move out of the way to access your back hatch.

*These are the 4 holes that need to be drilled out of the down tube - use the holes already drilled on the folding hitch as reference -

A few other things you could add - I decided that the tire was swinging way too far down after I tested it out, so I added a bump stop using the lower pin holes that were already there. For this I just used a bolt and a piece of vinyl tubing that I had laying around. Now the spare tire swings down to a little more than a 45 degree angle that turns out to be pretty perfect for my setup. Lastly, paint everything you ground down to make it look pretty and keep from rusting and boom! Your done!

*This is the hole that I installed the bump stop that was just a bolt with a bit of vinyl drain line on the outside.

I hope this helps someone out along the way. It was a fun project that took about two hours to put together. If you have any questions or I wasn’t clear on something feel free to ask away!

CURT 31006 Hitch-Mounted Spare Tire Mount
TMS Folding 2 Inch Trailer Hitch Mount Shank Adapter Cargo Wheelchair Carrier Fold Up

Very clever! But as I don’t have space for a lot of tools in my condominium garage, I’d still go for the Wilco (it’s definitely more expensive, but not $1,000 - more like $550.)

BAT

Rank I

Contributor III

Do you all think that the kuat pivot and the Curt 31006 could work together with some mods to make a nice swing away tire carrier? Would be about 400$. Or just pony up 580$ for the Wilco Hitchgate Solo High Clearance . Thanks.

UltimaSanctus

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
B
Last Name
W
Member #

Ordered all the stuff to do this for the Tahoe this weekend. The swingdown is the only thing I'm still waiting on and the last update I got was it left Ontario on monday, so fingers crossed it gets here today or tomorrow

bsp_taco

Rank III
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bay Area, CA and Portland, OR
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Hopple
Member #

The unit has been holding up great! We went out and did a few days in Boulder Ut. Spent time on some back trails of Capital Reef and on Burr Trail. I had 5 gallons of fuel, a trasharoo and all of my recovery gear strapped to the spare tire assembly. I figured we would push it and see about any failures. Pins are still tight. No sign of bending or cracking at all. Looks as good as the day we built it.

I did however order a anti rattle device for when the carrier is not weighed down. If it is only the spare tire I noticed a little bit of movement but this was solved with the anti rattle device.

How did you get the spare fuel mounted to the carrier? I'd like to do something similar to get the gas cans out of my bed

Ready6delta

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Va
First Name
JACOB
Last Name
MYERS
Member #

Good stuff man! Exactly what i am looking for until i get full bumper swingout or one of those fancy hitch swing outs but still debating on all that weight.