Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Longview, Texas, USA
First Name
Neil
Last Name
Armstrong
Member #

East TX here, 15 min from Barnwell lol. We get to DFW at least once a month to see friends and eat decent food.
We sold our F150 and are now in the process of building up a ‘15 Titan. Hope to have enough done to make a beach trip down to South Padre before summer’s over.

Reactions: Downs

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
I've been spending a lot of time around Broken Bow over the last year since it's only about 2 hours away from me here in Greenville. Tons of dispersed camping spots that haven't been used in a long time.

RadioGuy75067

Rank V
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Lewisville, Texas
First Name
Sean
Last Name
Compton
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5COU
Service Branch
ARMY VET
Nice ride man. Bet you could go a long way with all that extra gas...
I can carry a total of an extra 21 gallons with all of them. That will get me from Dallas, TX to Hot Springs, AR before I have to fill it all up again. Not the best MPG, but I was carrying 5 people, all the gear, 2 Plano Boxes on top and driving between 75 - 80 MPH the whole way. (Lots of downshifting causing higher RPM) We are all going out to Ouachita and Hot Springs again this upcoming weekend so I will try something different. I'm going to try to install a wind deflector, drive a little slower, and we found lots of stuff we over packed and will not be bringing on this trip. Hopefully this will allow the rig to be lighter on the hills.

Offroadnutz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Texas/Missouri
First Name
Steven
Last Name
M
Member #

Both those places are nice. Ive been going to the Ouachitas every couple weeks for awhile now. Got another trip coming up on the 20th. If not sooner. Lol What kind of mileage you get n that? I get about 18 on my 1st gen

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
Both those places are nice. Ive been going to the Ouachitas every couple weeks for awhile now. Got another trip coming up on the 20th. If not sooner. Lol What kind of mileage you get n that? I get about 18 on my 1st gen

I did the math on his numbers. If it really takes his 21 gallon reserve plus his 23 gallon onboard tank that's 44 gallons to get to Hot Springs from Lewisville, which is about 309 miles. So about 7mpg. Sounds like something's wrong with it to me. Or maybe carrying 126lbs of gas on the roof isn't helping either. Even my 25 year old XJ will almost make that trip with the gas in the tank.

RadioGuy75067

Rank V
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Lewisville, Texas
First Name
Sean
Last Name
Compton
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5COU
Service Branch
ARMY VET
I have some fuel left over when I get to the other end, I just don't remember how much. Maybe a half a tank +/-. I just installed a ScanGauge II that I was given as part payment for some work I did and I'm just getting it figured out. I'm seeing that with all the bolt-on stuff (rack, lights, lift, tires, bumper, winch, RotopaX) and my normal payload, (tools, extra fuel, parts and equipment) that I average about 19 MPG & 1800 RPM @ 60 MPH / 16 MPG & 2100 RPM @ 65 MPH / 14 MPG & 2200 RPM @70 MPH and 13ish MPG (? RPM) @ 80 MPH. But when we made the last trip, we were loaded for bear. I could not see out the back windows (not even the sides) at all. Only the 4 door windows were able to be looked out of. I also think I need to find a way to make everything fit more compact.

EDIT:Adding a screenshot of my manufacturer fuel economy according to fueleconomy.gov . I thing considering that those numbers are for a stock setup, 55MPH, flat ground, no wind conditions type of test, I’m not doing so bad after all. I think I will still try to find some sort of combination to get better fuel economy. Maybe install a modified center diff that allows for 2WD on road or add a turbo/blower @ 5lbs max for extra boost so I don’t have to downshift so much. Might even bore out the block .30 over when I rebuild my extra motor I have in the garage. Maybe it’s as easy as changing the gearing in the axles. IDK...

Attachments

Last edited:

Big_Roach011

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Dallas, TX, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Roach
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5JWM
I have some fuel left over when I get to the other end, I just don't remember how much. Maybe a half a tank +/-. I just installed a ScanGauge II that I was given as part payment for some work I did and I'm just getting it figured out. I'm seeing that with all the bolt-on stuff (rack, lights, lift, tires, bumper, winch, RotopaX) and my normal payload, (tools, extra fuel, parts and equipment) that I average about 19 MPG & 1800 RPM @ 60 MPH / 16 MPG & 2100 RPM @ 65 MPH / 14 MPG & 2200 RPM @70 MPH and 13ish MPG (? RPM) @ 80 MPH. But when we made the last trip, we were loaded for bear. I could not see out the back windows (not even the sides) at all. Only the 4 door windows were able to be looked out of. I also think I need to find a way to make everything fit more compact.

EDIT:Adding a screenshot of my manufacturer fuel economy according to fueleconomy.gov . I thing considering that those numbers are for a stock setup, 55MPH, flat ground, no wind conditions type of test, I’m not doing so bad after all. I think I will still try to find some sort of combination to get better fuel economy. Maybe install a modified center diff that allows for 2WD on road or add a turbo/blower @ 5lbs max for extra boost so I don’t have to downshift so much. Might even bore out the block .30 over when I rebuild my extra motor I have in the garage. Maybe it’s as easy as changing the gearing in the axles. IDK...
I love having extra fuel. I installed a 68 gallon diesel tank in my truck. I can make it to California before refuel

Arcbulldog

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

McKinney, TX, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Clennell
Member #

Hope everyone has been safe over the last week hopefully things will move on soon and get back to normal. I have had enough of hiding out so I am putting on a get together the weekend of the 28th, just a meet up to touch base reconnect and talk about planing a trip soon . I will try to create Rally point but if you are on the FB group I know a lot of folks watch that more please put this out there out there to. The Place I think Bass Pro in Grapevine works pretty well for being central, time 11:00 am but we can flex that a little either way.

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
Hope everyone has been safe over the last week hopefully things will move on soon and get back to normal. I have had enough of hiding out so I am putting on a get together the weekend of the 28th, just a meet up to touch base reconnect and talk about planing a trip soon . I will try to create Rally point but if you are on the FB group I know a lot of folks watch that more please put this out there out there to. The Place I think Bass Pro in Grapevine works pretty well for being central, time 11:00 am but we can flex that a little either way.
Link to the FB group?

RadioGuy75067

Rank V
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Lewisville, Texas
First Name
Sean
Last Name
Compton
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5COU
Service Branch
ARMY VET
I'm literally just down the street from there. I can leave my house and be there before two songs play on the radio (no commercials).

I'm Down!

**EDIT**
I just RSVP to the event...

Last edited: