US West Death Valley Photography Trip February 24-28th, 2021 (rescheduled)

• HTML tutorial

KLTH19

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Ivins, UT, USA
First Name
Ron
Last Name
Craig
Member #

Have a license and can relay.

I will probably hit the road on December 9th so I can split the drive and will meet you in Olancha (around 11-noon), I guess we can find a gas station to fill up before driving in.
Sounds good. I'll work on getting you an ETA and meeting point.

KLTH19

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Ivins, UT, USA
First Name
Ron
Last Name
Craig
Member #

I have a HAM radio but haven’t given the exam yet for the license. Might not find time either before our trip. It’s good for receiving if someone with HAM transmits.

What about gas? What’s the recommendation for carrying additional amount? I usually get 250 miles on a full tank. Where would we get the last gas station in our trip?
There's a 24/7 Mobil gas station in Olancha, just south of the 190 turnout. From the point we turn out from 190 onto Saline Valley Road to the last waypoint in the trip it's about 260 miles of driving. We will be passing gas stations in the valley at Stovepipe Wells and Furnace Creek, but they have been closing the Stovepipe Wells one recently due to damage to the structure from a wind storm that blew through late last year.

I'd plan on having about 100 miles worth of extra gas just to be sure.

Reactions: Bungy_teckel

KLTH19

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Ivins, UT, USA
First Name
Ron
Last Name
Craig
Member #

Per the Gasbuddy app the station at Stovepipe Wells was open as recently as yesterday ($3.55/gallon).
I hear that because of the damage they were closing it if the winds picked up above 20mph or so. Apparently the structure covering the pump area is rusted.

socal66

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Covina, CA, USA
First Name
Carl
Last Name
Sampson
Member #

I guess in the worst case if we top off tanks to start at Panamint Springs and Stovepipe is closed then the next opportunity to fill up would be at Beatty prior to going through Titus Canyon and that would be around 200 miles total to get to that point in the trip from the start.

Sylvester

Rank V
Investor

Influencer II

Nevada
First Name
Timothy
Last Name
Leto II
Member #

I have a HAM radio but haven’t given the exam yet for the license. Might not find time either before our trip. It’s good for receiving if someone with HAM transmits.

What about gas? What’s the recommendation for carrying additional amount? I usually get 250 miles on a full tank. Where would we get the last gas station in our trip?
There is a Gas station in the Park - I will also be carrying 3.5 gallons Extra J.I.C

Reactions: Overlandenthusiast

KLTH19

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Ivins, UT, USA
First Name
Ron
Last Name
Craig
Member #

A note on expected weather conditions in case you need to plan. Our highest elevation campsite will be near Racetrack Playa which is at 3700 feet. In December it's entirely reasonable to expect overnight temperatures in the 30s, and being the hardy photographers that we are we'll be standing around in those kinds of temperatures waiting for the sun to come up:coldsweat: Beyond a good camping setup, I also recommend bringing spare batteries as the cold tends to shorten battery life.

And another thing to keep in mind for those of us who don't hit cold weather too often, it's a good idea to put a cold weather additive in your washer fluid to stop it freezing. This happened to a buddy of mine when we were out in Moab a couple of years ago, and he ended up having to replace his washer fluid tank. In my experience, washer fluid sold in the Bay Area is not suitable for temperatures below freezing, but many places sell the lower temperature additive.

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

A note on expected weather conditions in case you need to plan. Our highest elevation campsite will be near Racetrack Playa which is at 3700 feet. In December it's entirely reasonable to expect overnight temperatures in the 30s, and being the hardy photographers that we are we'll be standing around in those kinds of temperatures waiting for the sun to come up:coldsweat: Beyond a good camping setup, I also recommend bringing spare batteries as the cold tends to shorten battery life.
Some more night and cold night photography tips
1) Buy a roll of Gaffers tape (I use Gaffer Power Made in the USA Premium Grade Gaffer Tape because it sticks well and does not leave any GOO on my gear. I buy it from them direct gafferpower.com or on amazon).
  • Get your focus set on a bright star early in the evening then switch to full manual mode and tape your lens so it does not change. (tape your zoom ring too if using a zoom lens)
  • Use this to cover up your blinking lights (you'll be shocked how someone's blinking red "writing to card" light casts an unremovable red color cast in your night photos! the blue green Sony ones are worse)
  • Add grip to slick places on your camera and tripod
  • Use a hole punch to punch out dots and put them on nearby similar sized camera buttons / controls so you can tell them apart by feel (yes with gloves on)
  • Get a sharpie marker and wrap 2 feet of tape around the body to keep in your photo bag. You can slit the wide roll down to thinner strips with a razor knife as it comes off the roll and have a couple of sizes ready on your sharpie.
2) Wrap your upper tripod legs (Especially if you have a metal tripod!)
  • This is good for keeping cold metal or carbon fiber away from your body.
  • Increases diameter and adds some squish, to make it eaiser to grip in the cold with gloves on
  • You can use pipe insulation and the gaffers tape above for an inexpensive setup
  • LensCoat LegCoat Wraps are better. Lower profile and more grippy between the leg and wrap. (LegWraps, LensCoat or via BandHphoto.com)
3) Get a set of "wrist reflector bands" used by joggers and cyclists for night visibility
  • Put one on each tripod so you can find yours in the dark w/o using a flashlight.
  • Velcro ones are better than "snap bracelet" or plastic clip ones.
  • Look for them locally by the kids bikes in dept stores or on amazon
4) Get a remote release for your camera.
  • I prefer wired when in groups because we've had some interference with wireless ones in the past.
  • Get one that can do timed shots of at least 30 mins.
  • DO NOT use IR wireless "selphy" remotes as the "invisible" IR light may mess up night shots when the camera sensor picks up the IR light.
  • Phone apps are NOT the way to go here.
5) Head lamps are better than flashlights. Try to get one that is CRI90+ and has brightness that can be turned way down that way you can use it for light painting.
  • You are going to have your hands full and still need to see.
  • Be sure to ask before turning on either as everyone's shot will get messed up if a flash light comes on.
  • I like the older version of the NITECORE HC60M with the "ultra low" 1 lumen mode
6) If you're shooting SLR be sure to close your eyepiece / cover it when taking longer exposures (1 sec+) as light can get in from behind. Mirrorless folks don't need to worry about this.

7) Someone should pick up some glow sticks. When you are done with "serious" photography at a given site crack a few glow sticks and have some fun. Setup for a 30-120second exposure then Draw what you like with a beautiful DVNP setting as the backdrop. "Terminator Time travel" Energy balls can be made by tying 1 or more colors of glowstick on a length of paracord and swing it in a circle in front of you while spinning 360* around slowly on your heel. :D

And another thing to keep in mind for those of us who don't hit cold weather too often, it's a good idea to put a cold weather additive in your washer fluid to stop it freezing. This happened to a buddy of mine when we were out in Moab a couple of years ago, and he ended up having to replace his washer fluid tank. In my experience, washer fluid sold in the Bay Area is not suitable for temperatures below freezing, but many places sell the lower temperature additive.
Another reminder for those in warmer climates, Check your rig's battery. There are batteries for "Northern" and "Southern" states with different chemistry. Folks from Tx, SoCal, etc get stranded here in Co often when the temps drop and the battery fails to take a charge. Likely to be really bad this year for anyone who has not been driving as much due to lockdowns.

Wish I was able to meet up with all of you!
Boort

Overlandenthusiast

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Francisco, California, United States
First Name
Aparajit
Last Name
Bajpai
Member #

KLTH19

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Ivins, UT, USA
First Name
Ron
Last Name
Craig
Member #

I just checked, my annual pass expires this month. I always buy at the entrance station of a national park. Is purchasing online recommended?
There is no entrance station in Death Valley - your only option for a pass is to get one at the Visitor Center at Furnace Creek, which is about 75 miles from where we first hit dirt roads to get into the park. You likely have enough time to get one online.

Reactions: Overlandenthusiast

KLTH19

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Ivins, UT, USA
First Name
Ron
Last Name
Craig
Member #

If you aren't already doing it, you may also want to investigate 'focus stacking' before the trip. This is the process of shooting multiple photos of a scene - each of which is focused on a different part of the scene - and combining them later to get better front to back sharpness (assuming that's what you want ;)). Since part of the process is how you setup the shots in the field, you may want to get familiar with the process before the trip. There are many videos on how to achieve this, but here's one that gives a good overview -

Reactions: Boort

KLTH19

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Ivins, UT, USA
First Name
Ron
Last Name
Craig
Member #

I had a chance to head over to Death Valley and do some schedule planning over the last few days, and confirm where we need to be and how we get there on time ;) All roads are passable right now - even Hunter Mountain after some brief snow last week. I didn't have to engage 4-Low for any part of the trip, but the road to Marble Canyon is pretty rough and ungraded. Camping spots were busier than I expected, but that may have been due to people taking advantage of the Wednesday holiday to get out of town. I counted 25 tripods at Zabriskie Point for sunrise this morning, and probably 15-20 more photographers without tripods.The photo below was taken looking in the opposite direction to Manly Beacon before sunrise.

Zabriskie Badlands.jpg

Looking forward to December...

KLTH19

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Ivins, UT, USA
First Name
Ron
Last Name
Craig
Member #

And an update on weather. Overnight temperatures were in the 20's at the Racetrack on Thursday night, while other camping spots at lower altitudes were in the 40's-50's overnight.

Sylvester

Rank V
Investor

Influencer II

Nevada
First Name
Timothy
Last Name
Leto II
Member #

This is going to be a Fun Trip - Might even Head over Thursday afternoon

Reactions: KLTH19

KLTH19

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Ivins, UT, USA
First Name
Ron
Last Name
Craig
Member #

How difficult is the route? Are planing to do complicated passes?
Checking if outback will make it.
Otherwise would love to join you.
With your Outback, the only part I'd be concerned about is the road to Marble Canyon. I did it earlier in the year with my Cherokee with 8.7 inches of ground clearance, which I believe is the same as what you have. You shouldn't need underbody protection, but going may be slow in parts to pick smooth lines. Aside from that, it's just the standard washboard to get to other backcountry locations - with the usual guidance about having good tires.

Last edited:
Reactions: OutbackInTheWild

KLTH19

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Ivins, UT, USA
First Name
Ron
Last Name
Craig
Member #

This is going to be a Fun Trip - Might even Head over Thursday afternoon
Based on the dry run last weekend, I'd say we will be at Racetrack playa by around 3PM or so on Thursday if you want to meet us there. If you are coming in over Hunter Mountain you can potentially catch up with us earlier. If it's later, camping will be at Homestake, or Ubehebe Lead Mine if Homestake is full.