Darkside's Hiker Trailer 5x9 Offroad Build

• HTML tutorial

welby

Rank 0

Traveler I

Just curious, how wide is the opening on the rear door? I've been trying to find something that I can balance as a camper and for utility use as well, it hasn't been easy. Have never heard of these until your post, I've been eyeballing Intech's Pursue and Explore models, but they're both pretty spendy. Sure doesn't look like it, but if it's just over 4' I'd at least be able to haul sheets of plywood in the Hiker. Thanks in advance

Darkside Overland

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Cary, NC
Member #

Just curious, how wide is the opening on the rear door? I've been trying to find something that I can balance as a camper and for utility use as well, it hasn't been easy. Have never heard of these until your post, I've been eyeballing Intech's Pursue and Explore models, but they're both pretty spendy. Sure doesn't look like it, but if it's just over 4' I'd at least be able to haul sheets of plywood in the Hiker. Thanks in advance
40" but I know you can order a larger door. Just spec it with Hiker. Probably will cost $10 more.

ChrisM

Rank III
Launch Member

Influencer II

Little Elm, TX 75068, USA
Member #

If you are looking at the Mid-Range or Off-Road Hiker models, they are on taller suspension than the Basic or Deluxe models. The roof of my trailer is only something like 5'5" tall. (I got my tape measure and headed for the door to measure before remembering that it is 150 mikes away in my brother's barn...)
Steve, do you have a mid-rage or the basic/deluxe model?

Rubicon Ro

Rank 0

Traveler I

darkside overland thanks for making this tread and sharing your build, I've leaned a lot. You have a super nice looking set up. Quick question...are you running 33'' tires and what is the overall height of your trailer (with and without the rack? Thanks again buddy.

Darkside Overland

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Cary, NC
Member #

darkside overland thanks for making this tread and sharing your build, I've leaned a lot. You have a super nice looking set up. Quick question...are you running 33'' tires and what is the overall height of your trailer (with and without the rack? Thanks again buddy.
33.5 inches and the height at the top of the racks is 81.25 inches. (fully loaded with a full water tank).

drrobinson

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Evergreen, CO, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Robinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W0DRR
Last weekend we added some extra fuel storage, matching wheels and tires to the 4Runner and a folding shelf for the rear door. Ready for a trip to Bedford, VA to attend the Blue Ridge overland gear flea market.

What fold down shelf is that?