Darkside's Hiker Trailer 5x9 Offroad Build

• HTML tutorial

HikerT

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Denver, CO
Member #

Great looking Hiker! My wife and I are going to Noblesville in June to talk with Wes about a 5x9 Offroad. I see you have the forward 3rd roof rack bar. Is that for the awning? I have pretty much decided that is the awning I am going with and just curious if the standard 2 bars will support the awning?
Standard is two and it depends on what awning you go with. Rob

Sent from my SM-G955U using OB Talk mobile app

Lead Dog

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lake Havasu City, Arizona, USA
First Name
Randy
Last Name
Clary
Member #

On another note, how happy are you with that suspension setup? Considering bags on the hiker or timbren on another rig. My experience with leaf springs can best be described as “bouncy.”

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Standard Trailer leafs are bouncy! only because there only 19" in length and designed to carry weight and not cycle in movement! our Springs are 43" long and come standard with a Hyd Shock to control the movement! (Upgraded Gas Shocks Available but not necessary) No one else did this when we started. ! Our trailers are designed to get you home.

Reactions: Darkside Overland

mattd

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Last weekend we added some extra fuel storage, matching wheels and tires to the 4Runner and a folding shelf for the rear door. Ready for a trip to Bedford, VA to attend the Blue Ridge overland gear flea market.

How deep are your shelf’s we are building a 5x9 mid range and debating more storeage in gallly24 in vs more in the cabinet. I just want the inside to feel to small.

HikerT

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Denver, CO
Member #

How deep are your shelf’s we are building a 5x9 mid range and debating more storeage in gallly24 in vs more in the cabinet. I just want the inside to feel to small.
Matt, I would do it .. makes a ton of difference. All my personal trailers are only built that way.

mattd

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Matt, I would do it .. makes a ton of difference. All my personal trailers are only built that way.

I meant to say I don't want it to feel to small. Is there plenty of room on the inside still? Wife doesn't want a galley that is open. So closed off with one pass through middle now the debate is 24 or 17 inch standard. At first when she seen the backpacker setup she really wanted it for clothes bags. Now that she seen the shelf on the other build on this site that folds down she is thinking that for clothes. Do you have an close ups of 24 deep?

HikerT

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Denver, CO
Member #

I meant to say I don't want it to feel to small. Is there plenty of room on the inside still? Wife doesn't want a galley that is open. So closed off with one pass through middle now the debate is 24 or 17 inch standard. At first when she seen the backpacker setup she really wanted it for clothes bags. Now that she seen the shelf on the other build on this site that folds down she is thinking that for clothes. Do you have an close ups of 24 deep?
My personal trailers are all 24 and closed off.20180531_163258.jpeg

Attachments

mattd

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Rob,

My wife feel in love with this setup Dana has. Do you do many of these shelves? She wants to sleep feet to the front of the trailer. So wondering how much room is there for feet on these shelves. I asked Dana for some measurements but he hasn't gotten back yet. She sees up putting our clothes bags here thoughts? I hear this folds.

Reactions: Aussie571

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Reactions: Nomadik Nova

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Is the topic being discussed in the Southeast FB group @Darkside Overland? I just requested to join it. Surprised I hadn’t done that previously.