Darkside's Hiker Trailer 5x9 Offroad Build

• HTML tutorial

jim lee

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Anacortes, WA
Member #

How are your solar panels working out? I notice that you have bars of your rack going over them. From my boating days, we were taught that any shadow was a complete no no because the slightest shadow could 1/2 the output of a panel. Hopefully panels are better than that today?

Neat setup though!

-jim lee

Darkside Overland

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Cary, NC
Member #

How are your solar panels working out? I notice that you have bars of your rack going over them. From my boating days, we were taught that any shadow was a complete no no because the slightest shadow could 1/2 the output of a panel. Hopefully panels are better than that today?

Neat setup though!

-jim lee

Jim, I have no idea. That said, they are working well and providing what I need.

jim lee

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Anacortes, WA
Member #

Jim, I have no idea. That said, they are working well and providing what I need.
Well, then I wouldn't give it another thought. I was just wondering.

We went to a bunch of nonsense trying to design solar systems for boats that minimized shadow issues. Sailboats have all that rigging throwing shadows everywhere.

-jim lee

Kris022

Rank II
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Houston, Texas
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KF5UXO
I'm loving the rig and trailer man. May I ask what tent/shelter are you using during that RTT rally in the second and third pic. I need something like that. Thank you.

Darkside Overland

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Cary, NC
Member #

I'm loving the rig and trailer man. May I ask what tent/shelter are you using during that RTT rally in the second and third pic. I need something like that. Thank you.

The tent is a Lightspeed Stratton 2 person. Which is no longer available. The Awning is an Alu-Cab with the sidewalls. The sidewalls really help in windy situations.

Reactions: Kris022 and TerryD

Steve Simpson

Rank I

Contributor III

This weekend was about heat, and adding it. The missus delivered an early present in the form of a Propex HS2121 propane furnace. With separate heating and firing chambers it is safe to run, and running off of 12V makes it an easy choice. I still have the ductwork to run, but here are some shots of the unit and the propane and exhaust lines.

This weekend was about heat, and adding it. The missus delivered an early present in the form of a Propex HS2121 propane furnace. With separate heating and firing chambers it is safe to run, and running off of 12V makes it an easy choice. I still have the ductwork to run, but here are some shots of the unit and the propane and exhaust lines.

Steve Simpson

Rank I

Contributor III

Where did you get the mounting box for the propex? Nice install. Have you noticed any hot air getting sucked back into the inflow tube?

Darkside Overland

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Cary, NC
Member #

Where did you get the mounting box for the propex? Nice install. Have you noticed any hot air getting sucked back into the inflow tube?
Thanks Steve, I am confused a bit by your question. What do you mean by mounting box? If you mean the galvanized unit as show, that is the HS2121, it comes that way. No, issues with direct recycling.

Steve Simpson

Rank I

Contributor III

Thanks Steve, I am confused a bit by your question. What do you mean by mounting box? If you mean the galvanized unit as show, that is the HS2121, it comes that way. No, issues with direct recycling.
I see that now. I’ve been looking at the hs2000 model and was worried about space. This looks like it might be a good solution.

How has it worked?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Darkside Overland

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Cary, NC
Member #

I see that now. I’ve been looking at the hs2000 model and was worried about space. This looks like it might be a good solution.

How has it worked?
It is great! Plenty of heat on a thermostat, with no fear of CO2. Over the new years holiday, did a weekend at 9F, and it was terrific.

Last edited by a moderator:

Steve Simpson

Rank I

Contributor III

It is great! Plenty of heat on a thermostat, with no fear of CO2. Over the new years holiday, did a weekend at 9F, and it was terrific.
On another note, how happy are you with that suspension setup? Considering bags on the hiker or timbren on another rig. My experience with leaf springs can best be described as “bouncy.”

Reactions: HikerT

Darkside Overland

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Cary, NC
Member #

On another note, how happy are you with that suspension setup? Considering bags on the hiker or timbren on another rig. My experience with leaf springs can best be described as “bouncy.”

Yes, very happy. First, it is not bouncy due to the pro comp shocks that dampen very well. Secondly, parts (if you do have a problem) are easy to find. Going timbren would have you stuck for at least a day or two, unless you carried spares.

Reactions: Lead Dog and HikerT

HikerT

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Denver, CO
Member #

Going with Timbren will give you way more bounce than the long leafs on a stock extreme hiker. Plus the ease of repair on the hiker is worth its weight in gold. Rob

Sent from my SM-G955U using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: D&D and Lead Dog

flmike911

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Florida
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Heagy
Member #

Great looking Hiker! My wife and I are going to Noblesville in June to talk with Wes about a 5x9 Offroad. I see you have the forward 3rd roof rack bar. Is that for the awning? I have pretty much decided that is the awning I am going with and just curious if the standard 2 bars will support the awning?