Darkside's Hiker Trailer 5x9 Offroad Build

• HTML tutorial

Keith McAlister

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Marietta, Georgia
Member #

I'm not @Darkside Overland but I too went with the side swing door on my Hiker 5X8 Deluxe. I'm only 5'8", but the upswing door would require me to duck when getting close to the trailer. The side swing door is also substantially larger. The side swing door is a $100 option.
Big Thanks for the feedback Steve. I'm just over 6 ft. so sounds like the swing up door for me would be a problem. Or the trailer gets a full on lift kit. :laughing:

What I really like about Darkside's setup is the Alu Cab Foxwing with sides is a great piece for cold weather camping which is what we like.

Thanks again for jumping in on this.

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

I'm just over 6 ft. so sounds like the swing up door for me would be a problem.
If you are looking at the Mid-Range or Off-Road Hiker models, they are on taller suspension than the Basic or Deluxe models. The roof of my trailer is only something like 5'5" tall. (I got my tape measure and headed for the door to measure before remembering that it is 150 mikes away in my brother's barn...)

Keith McAlister

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Marietta, Georgia
Member #

If you are looking at the Mid-Range or Off-Road Hiker models, they are on taller suspension than the Basic or Deluxe models. The roof of my trailer is only something like 5'5" tall. (I got my tape measure and headed for the door to measure before remembering that it is 150 mikes away in my brother's barn...)
Yeah, I would get the off road model for sure but it just sounded like for me to clear the swing up door, the trailer would need to go taller.

Sounds like to me the swinging barn door is the option I want to take.

Reactions: TerryD and Steve

Darkside Overland

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Cary, NC
Member #

Yeah, I would get the off road model for sure but it just sounded like for me to clear the swing up door, the trailer would need to go taller.

Sounds like to me the swinging barn door is the option I want to take.

Keith, the side open was recommended by Wes for two reasons, 1. It leaks at the hinge. 2. To have a door that does not interfere with the awning. The edges are sharp and would damage an awning over time with it open. Thanks for the compliments!

Darkside Overland

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Cary, NC
Member #

Nice work, you have given me some ideas for our Hiker. What brand of lights do you have on the side by the window? I have been using cheap solar stick on led lights and they keep failing so I need a better solution. Thanks
Corey, that is a Labcraft SI7 led light, waterproof but very bright. I have it direct wired by my switches. Ebay link here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/LABCRAFT-SCENELITE-SI7-BLACK-12V-24V-LED-INTERIOR-EXTERIOR-SCENE-LIGHT-LAMP-VAN-/221520253103

JersT4R

Rank V
Investor

Traveler III

Norfolk, VA
First Name
Jeremy
Last Name
Bailey
Member #

Hey, I met you all this past weekend at the swap meet at Blue Ridge Overland Gear in Bedford. Talked to my wife about a couple of different trailers I saw, and your solar setup. Looks like I’ve got some research to do. Thanks for sharing your build!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Schmack

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Virginia
Member #

My setup from Cross Country Teardrops is so similar. You've given me some great ideas. The extra storage on the rear door is great. No problems getting the door closed?

Darkside Overland

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Cary, NC
Member #

My setup from Cross Country Teardrops is so similar. You've given me some great ideas. The extra storage on the rear door is great. No problems getting the door closed?
No problems at all, there are 2" between the door and the shelves. Thanks! Let see pictures!

Darkside Overland

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Cary, NC
Member #

Darkside,

First State Overland has a YouTube video on his trailer that is excellent. Go to his channel "FirstStateOverland" and check it out. I saw his setup firsthand at Expo East and he did an awesome job.
Keith, Chad and I are friends already. We are constantly exchanging ideas, watch this space to see the next addition to the trailers. ;)

Reactions: Keith McAlister

Keith McAlister

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Marietta, Georgia
Member #

Keith, Chad and I are friends already. We are constantly exchanging ideas, watch this space to see the next addition to the trailers. ;)
Sounds good. Chad really sold my wife on the Hiker at Expo giving us the tour around his. We are planning a 3 week trip to Grand Canyon, Monument Valley and surrounding area next November and looking seriously at getting a Hiker off road to tag along.

Keep posting you upgrades as they offer us ideas as well.

Reactions: Pete Evans

Darkside Overland

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Cary, NC
Member #

This weekend was about heat, and adding it. The missus delivered an early present in the form of a Propex HS2121 propane furnace. With separate heating and firing chambers it is safe to run, and running off of 12V makes it an easy choice. I still have the ductwork to run, but here are some shots of the unit and the propane and exhaust lines.

Keith McAlister

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Marietta, Georgia
Member #

This weekend was about heat, and adding it. The missus delivered an early present in the form of a Propex HS2121 propane furnace. With separate heating and firing chambers it is safe to run, and running off of 12V makes it an easy choice. I still have the ductwork to run, but here are some shots of the unit and the propane and exhaust lines.

Is there an equivalent word like Glamping for Overlanding? :laughing:

Humor aside, nice setup. Keep us updated to what you think, reviews, etc.

Reactions: Darkside Overland

FireMedicPQ1

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Rio Rancho, New Mexico
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5PCB
Nice work. My future plans includes a trailer. I've been looking at the Hiker; it seems tough and reasonably priced. I'd like to mod a basic model, but probably won't go all out like yours. I'd also like to see some photos of the interior.