Darkside's Hiker Trailer 5x9 Offroad Build

• HTML tutorial

Darkside Overland

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Cary, NC
Member #

Finally picked up our 5x9 Offroad from Hiker at the Overland Expo east on October 1st. It was a demo at the show for Wes Henry, the owner of the Indiana arm of Hiker Trailers. Below is a photo from when we just picked it up to head home. This thread will track the build and some fun along the way.

Darkside Overland

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Cary, NC
Member #

Thanks, folks, nice to finally have it. So, electrics where first, I added four 100 watt flexible solar panels, that were attached with 3M VHB 1" tape around all the edges, and then across the middle vertically and horizontally. Those four panels went into a 60 amp Zamp charge controller to charge two 200 amp 6-volt batteries setup in series. That outputs to a 12v switch panel from ApolloIntech and a 1000 watt Zamp sine wave inverter.

Beee

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Noblesville, IN
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Ruschak
Member #

Great looking Hiker Trailer and rig. I have only had our Hiker Trailer for a few months and it is getting a fair amount of use. It’s so nice to have it all ready to go and just pack a cooler and clothes and go. Look forward to watching your build thread.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Darkside Overland

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Cary, NC
Member #

Next up was the Alu-Cab awning ;) I did not want to add any height above the roof rack and I also wanted to reduce any wind/rain/etc from entering the gap that would exist if the awning was above the rack. I fabbed up my own box section to use the existing crossbars and allow a solid connection point for the awning to the trailer. (More photos on that later). Here is how the awning looks attached.

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
Last weekend we added some extra fuel storage, matching wheels and tires to the 4Runner and a folding shelf for the rear door. Ready for a trip to Bedford, VA to attend the Blue Ridge overland gear flea market.

Are you going to have your trailer there? I'd love to check it out in person!

Keith McAlister

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Marietta, Georgia
Member #

My wife is going to love this thread. She saw the Hiker trailers at Expo East and was hooked. And I can see where she has good reason too be.

Thanks for posting this and everyone's contributions.

Corey Carrico

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate I

Highlands Ranch CO
Member #

Nice work, you have given me some ideas for our Hiker. What brand of lights do you have on the side by the window? I have been using cheap solar stick on led lights and they keep failing so I need a better solution. Thanks

Keith McAlister

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Marietta, Georgia
Member #

Darkside Overland,

One question in regards to the swingout rear door. If you had a choice, would you still go with the swing out rear galley door or would you go with the swing up? I see the way you attahed the awning lessens the space impact, nice call, but just curious on your thoughts now?

The more I look at the Hiker trailers, the more sold I am becoming.

Reactions: TerryD

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

would you still go with the swing out rear galley door or would you go with the swing up?
I'm not @Darkside Overland but I too went with the side swing door on my Hiker 5X8 Deluxe. I'm only 5'8", but the upswing door would require me to duck when getting close to the trailer. The side swing door is also substantially larger. The side swing door is a $100 option.