CA West Canada Conquering the Dempster Highway: Road Trip to Tuktoyaktuk, Northwest Territories, Canada

• HTML tutorial

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
Have fun! Take insect repellent (the Arctic Mosquitos have an international aerobatic team). If you're leaving soon you should see lots of aurora borealis. Say "hi" for me to Tuktoyaktuk - I was last there in 1989...

Paula - Canadian Explorer

Rank VI

Influencer I

Okotoks, AB, Canada
First Name
Paula
Last Name
Ponte
Member #

Have fun! Take insect repellent (the Arctic Mosquitos have an international aerobatic team). If you're leaving soon you should see lots of aurora borealis. Say "hi" for me to Tuktoyaktuk - I was last there in 1989...
Ha! Ha!
This is only for 2021, so lots of time to prepare. If you were there in 1989, lots has changed. You are definitely due for another visit *smiles*

Reactions: Alanymarce

Rank VI

Influencer I

Okotoks, AB, Canada
First Name
Paula
Last Name
Ponte
Member #

That’s awesome, my son and I are planning on making the trip up the Dempster next summer.
Great!
It is beautiful up there. I have driven the Dempster many times. Had it planned for this year again -- all the way to Tuk, but then Covid happened. Hope Covid will be gone by the time July/August 2021 comes around. This time, I'll be heading to Tuk for the first time
Hope you'll join the Rally in 2021.

LowbuckLS

Rank 0

Contributor I

Sylvan Lake, Alberta, Canada
First Name
Randy
Last Name
Engler
Great!
It is beautiful up there. I have driven the Dempster many times. Had it planned for this year again -- all the way to Tuk, but then Covid happened. Hope Covid will be gone by the time July/August 2021 comes around. This time, I'll be heading to Tuk for the first time
Hope you'll join the Rally in 2021.
Same, I here the NWT is being pretty restrictive with their Covid regulations... I'm new here, what Rally is happening in 2021?

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
Ha! Ha!
This is only for 2021, so lots of time to prepare. If you were there in 1989, lots has changed. You are definitely due for another visit *smiles*
I was first there in 1980.

Yes - we have a North American trip in long term planning, not sure when exactly - Montréal - Newfoundland - Key West - South Texas - San Diego - Alaska - Montréal (more or less). We have two Asia trips we'd like to do before then (one's on the shelf, and one's in planning), and may do others prior to NA. It will be good to visit again.

In terms of timing for your trip, I think I'd aim to be in Tuktoyaktuk at the end of September or early October - still lots of sunlight, fewer mosquitos, no concerns re recently melted snow/ice, it'll start getting colder mid-October. So you could aim for this and build around this timing for the rest of your trip - before and/or after.

PS: haven't been in Okotoks since 1990 - it was on the way to Black Diamond for the rodeo.

Rank VI

Influencer I

Okotoks, AB, Canada
First Name
Paula
Last Name
Ponte
Member #

I was first there in 1980.

Yes - we have a North American trip in long term planning, not sure when exactly - Montréal - Newfoundland - Key West - South Texas - San Diego - Alaska - Montréal (more or less). We have two Asia trips we'd like to do before then (one's on the shelf, and one's in planning), and may do others prior to NA. It will be good to visit again.

In terms of timing for your trip, I think I'd aim to be in Tuktoyaktuk at the end of September or early October - still lots of sunlight, fewer mosquitos, no concerns re recently melted snow/ice, it'll start getting colder mid-October. So you could aim for this and build around this timing for the rest of your trip - before and/or after.

PS: haven't been in Okotoks since 1990 - it was on the way to Black Diamond for the rodeo.
That is a great plan what you have in the works. I'll do the Maritimes in 2022 (which was actually supposed to be in 2021). Then, Arches/Moab in 2023. All just draft plans for now.
The dates will change in early 2021 (right now it's a placeholder), but they are dependent on many factors -- Covid for one, ferry/road opening/closures and then my work commitments. The pic used to announce the Rally was taken in early August. No pesky bugs with the exception of the Peel River crossing! They were nasty! After that, it was ok. Caught some snow on the way back to Eagle Plains, but not bad either (snows in Calgary in the summer time, so I'm used to it).
Thanks for the suggestion. It is appreciated.

Rank VI

Influencer I

Okotoks, AB, Canada
First Name
Paula
Last Name
Ponte
Member #

Same, I here the NWT is being pretty restrictive with their Covid regulations... I'm new here, what Rally is happening in 2021?
That is correct, Yukon and NWT Govs were very restrictive with their Covid regulations. NWT still has the border closed linked to the Dempster Highway. I am not surprised and do support it given the Aboriginal communities need to be protected. Only essential travel was allowed in: NWT Border Information | GNWT's Response to COVID-19

There are lots of events taking place in 2021. The one I am referring to is the one I posted. These events (trips/gatherings, etc.) once posted then become Rally points on the map. As a member, you have access to view the map showing Rally points all over the world. Have you tried the Member Map?

naysjp

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Renay
Last Name
Johnson
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ6DHG
This will be a multi-week road trip with lots of off-roading, hiking, camping (including off-grid), pic stops...and.... lots of 'white-knuckle-holding-on-to-the-edge-of-the-seat' passenger reactions! (just kidding). We will also be dipping our toes in the Arctic Ocean.
You have a message. :)

Terry Pickens

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Evansville, WY, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Pickens
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FTV
Made it up to Tuktoyaktuk in 2019. Left Vancouver, WA July 21 and was gone for 3 weeks. It was a great trip. I hope to get back up there with my son and his family as soon as this lockdown is over.
Have a great time and leave yourself time to stop and enjoy some of the other sights along the way.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_614.jpg
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_617.jpg
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_618.jpg
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_61d.jpg