Staff member

Member III

Falmouth, MA, USA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Nova
Member #

Looking for opinions on the use of a comealong with my '16 T4R Trail until I decide which bumper & winch combo I want.

I know comealongs are not rated for overhead lifting, but is it possible to use it as a manual/hand-operated winch out on the trail? I don't plan on any serious rock-crawling/off-roading, will mostly be sticking to easy or moderate trails.

Ben Cleveland

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Nashville, TN, USA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Cleveland
Member #

It’s possible. But miserable. After some more research, I’m moving from a comealong that’s been used once to a hilift as my “interim” winching setup.

Reactions: Nomadik Nova

RedRob

Rank V

Traveler III

Sonora, CA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Irwin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6VUL
Service Branch
USMC
I have a Wyeth-Scott More Power Puller. I do not have a winch and I don’t know when I will. I know it would be quite a challenge to come-a-long myself, but it’s better than not. I have a Hi Lift and know I could do some winching with it, but that’s a couple of feet at a time in a very precarious fashion. The Wyeth is rated for 6,000 lbs and I could drag myself 15 feet or so.

I want a winch, but I always say that from what I’ve seen people with winches get themselves into situations where they need a winch! ;-)

Nomadik Nova

Rank VI
Staff member

Member III

Falmouth, MA, USA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Nova
Member #

I have a Wyeth-Scott More Power Puller. I do not have a winch and I don’t know when I will. I know it would be quite a challenge to come-a-long myself, but it’s better than not. I have a Hi Lift and know I could do some winching with it, but that’s a couple of feet at a time in a very precarious fashion. The Wyeth is rated for 6,000 lbs and I could drag myself 15 feet or so.

I want a winch, but I always say that from what I’ve seen people with winches get themselves into situations where they need a winch! ;-)
Fair points Rob.... w/out a winch, I am more likely not to push my luck. :)

Ben Cleveland

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Nashville, TN, USA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Cleveland
Member #

Fair points Rob.... w/out a winch, I am more likely not to push my luck. :)
I don’t love this logic. Arguments for a full on winch vs smaller, cheaper options aside, saying “if I’m prepared for problems I’m more likely to create them” is not a safe, prepared approach. What about being prepared for getting stuck when you DIDNT expect to get stuck? That happens! Not just to inexperienced people either.

You don’t have to justify preparedness by creating situations where you needed it. Traveling off the grid safely will always involve some level of being prepared for situations you don’t expect, or may even hope never occur.

Reactions: dr56099

RedRob

Rank V

Traveler III

Sonora, CA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Irwin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6VUL
Service Branch
USMC
I don’t want to start a fight, because I really believe we’re on the same side. I did put a winky face...

I have fire extinguishers in my house even though I’ve never had a house fire. But I don’t have a residential sprinkler system.

I carry a pistol even though I’ve never needed to shoot anyone. But I don’t carry a rifle.

I carry a come-a-long even though I’ve never needed it. And I did say I want a winch, I just don’t have one yet. But I stand by my point that in my experience people with winches tend to put themeselves into situations where they need them.

I would like to believe that when I get my winch I will still be careful with fire around my house, I still won’t get myself into a situation where I need to shoot someone, and I won’t go somewhere just because I know I’ve got a winch to get me out.

Ben Cleveland

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Nashville, TN, USA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Cleveland
Member #

I don’t want to start a fight, because I really believe we’re on the same side. I did put a winky face...

I have fire extinguishers in my house even though I’ve never had a house fire. But I don’t have a residential sprinkler system.

I carry a pistol even though I’ve never needed to shoot anyone. But I don’t carry a rifle.

I carry a come-a-long even though I’ve never needed it. And I did say I want a winch, I just don’t have one yet. But I stand by my point that in my experience people with winches tend to put themeselves into situations where they need them.

I would like to believe that when I get my winch I will still be careful with fire around my house, I still won’t get myself into a situation where I need to shoot someone, and I won’t go somewhere just because I know I’ve got a winch to get me out.
Totally dude. No desire to argue! Just offering “friendly discourse”. Sorry if I came across confrontational! It sounds like you and I are saying the exact same thing, and even if we weren’t, that would be fine too.

Also, props for another ccw! I carry almost 24/7. Always good to be prepared.

Reactions: Nomadik Nova

RedRob

Rank V

Traveler III

Sonora, CA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Irwin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6VUL
Service Branch
USMC
I didn’t think you were fighting, I just wanted you to know I wasn’t.

Reactions: Ben Cleveland

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran

Is this the one?

3 Ton Ratchet Puller With 35' Of 5/16" Amsteel Blue
It’s the one I’ve been considering.

RedRob

Rank V

Traveler III

Sonora, CA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Irwin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6VUL
Service Branch
USMC
Yes. Rated for three tons with the line doubled. I’ve only practiced with it but I think it could do a lot of work. Not nearly as easy to use as a winch, nor as strong, nor nearly as expensive. I keep it in a toolbox in my truck box with other recovery gear.