US Rocky Mountain COLORADO: Miner's Loop & More!

• HTML tutorial

Neal A. Tew

US Rocky Mountain Local Expert
Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
Hey All,

Is there an alternates list for this trip? looks like the 12 rig limit has been hit but i'd be down to roll with if someone drops out!

thanks,
I'll make sure @JDGreens has you on the standby list. Thanks much for expressing your interest!

Reactions: Kent R

Dave Purvis

Rank VII

Creator II

Elizabeth, Colorado, United States
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Purvis
Member #

@JDGreens
Great meeting you this past weekend, and looking forward to this trip! I’ll arrive to meet at camp Thursday evening, I won’t make it for the Antero run.
I did have a thought/suggestion for Friday night camp and Saturday… Napoleon Pass is a cool alternative to Cumberland and could be a more exciting way to transition back towards Hancock. Couldn’t find it on TrailsOffroad but Funtreks has it in their book/site.

Reactions: JDGreens

Sup3rrad

Rank V

Enthusiast I

Minneapolis, MN, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Brennan
Member #

dang seem like an awesome trip!! id totally be down if i was still in Colorado in august. I'll be there in July :(

JDGreens

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Englewood Co.
Member #

@JDGreens
Great meeting you this past weekend, and looking forward to this trip! I’ll arrive to meet at camp Thursday evening, I won’t make it for the Antero run.
I did have a thought/suggestion for Friday night camp and Saturday… Napoleon Pass is a cool alternative to Cumberland and could be a more exciting way to transition back towards Hancock. Couldn’t find it on TrailsOffroad but Funtreks has it in their book/site.

I was Planning on exploring Mnt. Antero and the Baldwin Lakes trail after coming back down, there are supposed to be some good campsites near the beginning of that trail. Which is about a 45 minute drive away from the Antero trail head. If I can I'll make it a point to do some recon when I get the chance. That would give us plenty of time to break camp (departure by 9 a.m?) and make our way down to the staging area of our second trail run (Tincup Pass) near the Saint Elmo staging area. We can definitely consider Napoleon Pass as Cumberland is nothing more than a washboard filled road. We can discuss these thing in more detail as we get closer to the trip.
I appreciate your insight! Thanks

Last edited:
Reactions: Neal A. Tew

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
I updated the event details to show the event is full with a standby list.

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
@JDGreens, we had one drop out today. I also notice there are 2 RSVPs that also signed up and were no shows for JJ3.

JDGreens

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Englewood Co.
Member #

Maybe we can PM those 2 and ask them to be sure. It would be nice to have everyone who is going on the RSVP list?

JDGreens

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Englewood Co.
Member #

I'm planning on heading up to scout out the Baldwin Lake trail Wednesday July 7th, I'm hoping there will be a big enough area for our group there.

I had a couple issues arise on my rig from my last trip (June Jam/Ouray area). Spent the last couple weeks working on the fixes, So we did a shakedown run last Sunday evening on Slaughter house Gulch. Jeep did fantastic. I meet someone who live close to the trail there in Bailey and exchanged info. I'm thinking this trail will be on my list of trails to do for the fall colors and I'll be able to ask him when they begin to peak. We are going to keep our weekends open so that we can go up and enjoy this years colors. I'll try to do a impromptu Rally Point during the week for that??

Hope everyone is having a great summer. I'm looking forward to our Miners loop run. It will be my last hurrah for the summer before getting back to work.
Cheers!

JDGreens

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Englewood Co.
Member #

I went to checkout the camp spot for Thursday night. (I gave a friend a ride home from the airport Monday morning to South Park and did not want to drive home with all that traffic so took the opportunity) Drove up Mnt Antero trail to the intersection that goes to Baldwin Lakes. There is a pretty large area that could easily accommodate our group on one side and a area one the other side that is good size also. I camped there overnight. The only thing is that there were some mosquitoes, not to bad but beware!

That intersection is about a 30-45 minute drive up the trail. While I was up there I decided to hike up the Baldwin Lake trail. I wanted to gauge the level of difficulty for our rigs. I think most of us will have no issue with that trail but,..... then again it is 3 times as rough as the Mnt. Antero trail is. So I think that a option would be for some who would rather be on the safe side (not beat on your daily driver) we could set-up our camp and passenger those who are not comfortable risking things. On that same theme Mnt Antero has some serious shelve roads the same thing rings true. If you are not comfortable driving shelf roads passengering and leaving your rig at camp is a really a great option for that as well. The other side of Mnt Antero down to the lake does have couple sketchy spots as well. The lakes is probably half empty by that time and may or may not be something for everyone. (I'm fond of that side but may pass on it)..

I am really stoked about this trip, I have never ran any part of Hancock pass and am looking forward to that part as well.

Note: we have our limit at 15 but truly if anyone wants to go we can accommodate you.

Reactions: 5280Ranger

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
Just FYI, for those that ran Tincup last year, that technical section on the west side of the pass has been filled in. Also, as of yesterday the water crossing is almost non-existent.

Fortis Overland

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Colorado Springs, CO
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Kelly
Member #

All, I apologize but I'm going to have to back out of the trip as my wife is unable to change a work commitment and I need to stay home with my kiddo. Was really excited about this one!

Fortis Overland

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Colorado Springs, CO
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Kelly
Member #

All, I have to apologize, but I will be unable to make this trip as my wife is unable to get out of a work commitment and I need to stay home with the kiddo. Was really looking forward to this one! Have fun everyone!

@Rio Sauce - go RSVP!

• Sad
Reactions: trail_runn4r

Iridium

US Rocky Mtn. Local Expert CO: Ft. Collins Area

Influencer III

Fort Collins, CO, USA
First Name
Aleem
Last Name
Qureshi
Member #

Is the plan to stage at the mt antero trail head on Thursday, or at one of the nearby parking lots?

JDGreens

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Englewood Co.
Member #

We can discuss that in more detail during the next couple weeks, the plans was to meet there but there isn't tons of room (like a large parking area right there for that many rigs all together). But there are several spots with in a few 100 yards of it that we could get our rigs aired down for the trail.
It might be good to get organized somewhere before we get there where we can have a driver's meeting and then head to the trailhead afterwards. Maybe Johnsons village so we could gas up (those who want to there) , wait for everyone to show.

Iridium

US Rocky Mtn. Local Expert CO: Ft. Collins Area

Influencer III

Fort Collins, CO, USA
First Name
Aleem
Last Name
Qureshi
Member #

I’ll be coming up Thursday afternoon, and will have to find you guys at camp. Be sure to post your final camp spot for Thursday night so I can find you!
I'll send you my zoleo number you can just text me on that so we can coordinate you finding us

Reactions: Dave Purvis

trail_runn4r

US Rocky Mtn. Local Expert. Colorado: Denver Area

Pathfinder III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Carlo
Last Name
Donzelli
Member #

Sadly I won't be able to make this trip due to family commitments, my RSVP is up for grabs!!

• Sad
Reactions: Iridium

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
Sadly I won't be able to make this trip due to family commitments, my RSVP is up for grabs!!
I had allowed more to sign up than David originally wanted so the way I have it set up now may not allow for new RSVPs.

If anyone new wants to go, express your interest here.