Launch Member

Member II

Galvez, Louisiana. USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Somebody
Member #

I drove down to a neighbor's house to look at a welding job he needed to have done on his debris trailer's tail-gate. While I was there, I saw a couple camping lanterns sitting outside on the ground. One was a no-name and the other was a Coleman. I asked about them and he said he was going to put them in the trash. He asked if I would be interested in having them. Well, "Yes", I said. :smiley: I left with the Coleman only. The model is a 290.
It still had 1/4 tank of old smelly fuel in it. I taped all around the tank and it seems solid. It need some TLC. I don't see anything wrong with it, other that a slightly bent thumb-nut stub on top. I'll disassemble it for inspection and replace whatever parts it will need.

Does anyone know how to tell the year it was made?

IMG_3477.jpg

IMG_3478.jpg

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
I drove down to a neighbor's house to look at a welding job he needed to have done on his debris trailer's tail-gate. While I was there, I saw a couple camping lanterns sitting outside on the ground. One was a no-name and the other was a Coleman. I asked about them and he said he was going to put them in the trash. He asked if I would be interested in having them. Well, "Yes", I said. :smiley: I left with the Coleman only. The model is a 290.
It still had 1/4 tank of old smelly fuel in it. I taped all around the tank and it seems solid. It need some TLC. I don't see anything wrong with it, other that a slightly bent thumb-nut stub on top. I'll disassemble it for inspection and replace whatever parts it will need.

Does anyone know how to tell the year it was made?

View attachment 128215

View attachment 128216
Look at the bottom of the fount. Should be stamped month and year. Looks like late 80s early 90s.

What was the other one? Some of those are pretty rare!

Reactions: eagle_A40

eagle_A40

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

Galvez, Louisiana. USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Somebody
Member #

Look at the bottom of the fount. Should be stamped month and year. Looks like late 80s early 90s.
Thanks. I'll look in the morning

What was the other one? Some of those are pretty rare!
Don't know. I may go back to get it before it's tossed out. It was shorter than the Coleman, was black and the base was similar to 4 duck feet.

IndyBrian

Rank 0

Contributor I

Indianapolis, IN
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Deiwert
I love my Coleman lanterns and two burner stove for my trips. The lanterns put out so much light compared to LEDs and solar powered lights. Last weekend my 220 and a duel fuel lit up our eating area fine. Over the winter I hope to get a few antique store and flea market pickups working again. I have 3 or 4 lanterns that just need a new fuel cap O-ring I think.

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
TerryD, it's stamped 6............................84
Ok! I had it in my mind they switched to the CLX badging in the late 80s. My bad!

My $5 find yesterday!

20191123_172105.jpg

Supposedly it just needs a pump. It's much nicer than my current 288a, which is my truck lantern, and I thought it was only the case till I picked it up. That puts me about 4 deep on "The Healing Bench" now.... haha!

eagle_A40

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

Galvez, Louisiana. USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Somebody
Member #

OK. The brass nut that holds the cap on will turn, but will not unscrew from the threaded stud/shaft. I'm guessing they are turning together. It's been soaking with Kroil overnight.
Anyone know a trick?
Thanks.

288A700_WW_1.gif

Reactions: MuckSavage

Mojavewanderer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Steward I

Hemet, CA, USA
First Name
Brent
Last Name
Caldon
Member #

I have the sickness too! My buddy just gave me a model 425 stove, so I only need a 425B to complete my 425 series collection. That goes with the 2 413s. No 3 burner yet, but I just missed on at a garage sale by about 2 minutes. I have 3 working 220 series lanterns, and 3 or 4 more waiting on repair. Also a 200 lantern dated 7-58 that looks like brand new still. I also just got a 3 gallon steel belted jug, dated 8-74 that I’m really happy about! I’m looking for a 501 stove, I think that would be really handy.

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
OK. The brass nut that holds the cap on will turn, but will not unscrew from the threaded stud/shaft. I'm guessing they are turning together. It's been soaking with Kroil overnight.
Anyone know a trick?
Thanks.

View attachment 128337
Yeah, I'm afraid you'll have to saw the stud in two. It's welded to the top of the burner assembly which in the later pieces were stamped steel. You can probably salvage the nut and burner by replacing the stud if you can get it apart but you may have to sacrifice the nut.

Check www.oldcolemanparts.com for a whole burner assembly for your 290. I think a 285 uses the same assembly IIRC. But double check me on that.

MuckSavage

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

South Jersey, NJ, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
McG
Member #

Since I have 6 or so old lanterns awaiting my attention.... Do y'all have a preferred vendor for buying parts? Thanks in advance