Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Mount Airy, NC, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
L
Member #

I scored this Coleman Grill/Stove too for $15 to go with our 425e stove! Not Coleman but I also got a Biolite Camp Stove for $30 all off the same FB yardsale page! Feeling pretty good right now! F6E8D3E7-76B4-42BB-A231-65F09ECA717F.jpeg2D6C5F8C-459D-419D-A499-EA1DC21710EE.jpeg
Thats a stock photo of the Biolite but I will post up a pic tomorrow when I pick it all up! Got a plastic molded tool box / container to mount on my safari rack for our recovery gear for $21!

Big G

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Grants Pass, OR, USA
First Name
Gary
Last Name
Cloud
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7MZB
It's possible I have the sickness and won't admit to it. First, I have two Coleman propane stoves, one of which was a wedding present (I'll be married 48 years in April), and the second is a much newer one I bought new in the last 5 years or so. I have a old school Coleman fuel 2 mantle lantern, and a pretty old Coleman catalytic heater--dome style. A few months ago I was wanting a dual fuel stove, you know the one with the external tank, well, a friend of mine saw one in a pawn shop and called me about it. I jumped and went to the shop only to find a very dirty, somewhat rusty, old dual fuel stove with a reduced price to $10. After looking it over, and knowing from Youtube vids it could be refurbished, I offered $5 and they agreed. Haven't done much with it yet. But wait, it gets worse, or better depending how you look at it. Last Friday, Feb. 7, friends of mine were having an estate sale. Thursday night I found out about it and after inquiring about a few items they sent me pics of some of the things they had. In one pic I saw a Coleman lantern, and a red lantern carrying case. I didn't get to the sale until about noon Friday, totally expecting that stuff to be gone but it wasn't. To shorten this, there was a very clean looking 2 mantle fuel lantern, one clean looking gas bottle 2 mantle lantern, and a battery operated lantern, all Coleman. One of the lanterns was in the red case which is broken so you can't lift the case without it coming apart. But wait, it gets better. Then I spied a Coleman dual fuel stove box and inside was a very clean stove. I took these 4 items to the counter and asked my friend what he wanted for all of it. Wait for it--$25.00 for the whole thing!! Is there a Dr. in the house? LOL. I scored big time. Won't be buying anymore Coleman things, or will I?

Granite Ridge Overland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Mount Airy, NC, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
L
Member #

It's possible I have the sickness and won't admit to it. First, I have two Coleman propane stoves, one of which was a wedding present (I'll be married 48 years in April), and the second is a much newer one I bought new in the last 5 years or so. I have a old school Coleman fuel 2 mantle lantern, and a pretty old Coleman catalytic heater--dome style. A few months ago I was wanting a dual fuel stove, you know the one with the external tank, well, a friend of mine saw one in a pawn shop and called me about it. I jumped and went to the shop only to find a very dirty, somewhat rusty, old dual fuel stove with a reduced price to $10. After looking it over, and knowing from Youtube vids it could be refurbished, I offered $5 and they agreed. Haven't done much with it yet. But wait, it gets worse, or better depending how you look at it. Last Friday, Feb. 7, friends of mine were having an estate sale. Thursday night I found out about it and after inquiring about a few items they sent me pics of some of the things they had. In one pic I saw a Coleman lantern, and a red lantern carrying case. I didn't get to the sale until about noon Friday, totally expecting that stuff to be gone but it wasn't. To shorten this, there was a very clean looking 2 mantle fuel lantern, one clean looking gas bottle 2 mantle lantern, and a battery operated lantern, all Coleman. One of the lanterns was in the red case which is broken so you can't lift the case without it coming apart. But wait, it gets better. Then I spied a Coleman dual fuel stove box and inside was a very clean stove. I took these 4 items to the counter and asked my friend what he wanted for all of it. Wait for it--$25.00 for the whole thing!! Is there a Dr. in the house? LOL. I scored big time. Won't be buying anymore Coleman things, or will I?
That’s an awesome story and even more score!!! You lucked up getting all of that and no one else gad the right mindset to snatch it up like you did!!

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
You might! I have 4 stoves and 11 lanterns right now....

Sounds like you've got some nice stuff! Those rough $5 stoves are hard to beat camping. I have a 1970 Sears I gave $5 and only had to oil the pump and have been using it as is for several years now!

A buddy got a 60s model 425 for $1 and was gonna scrap it. I talked him in to trying to light it and it's now his favorite porch cooking stove. Lives right beside his Traeger.

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
Nice, I need to find me a couple old ones. We have a newer version but it just don't perform like these!
These are great little units but are 80s and 90s models. I'm working on a good collection of the single mantle lanterns right now and the 286a and 242b are my most recent acquisitions.

I'm looking forward to having that 1940s 242 going again! I love bringing these old lanterns back from the dead. Something very satisfying about having this old gear running after such a long time sitting dormant.

Granite Ridge Overland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Mount Airy, NC, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
L
Member #

These are great little units but are 80s and 90s models. I'm working on a good collection of the single mantle lanterns right now and the 286a and 242b are my most recent acquisitions.

I'm looking forward to having that 1940s 242 going again! I love bringing these old lanterns back from the dead. Something very satisfying about having this old gear running after such a long time sitting dormant.
Yea, you can't beat the Vintage Coleman gear, In my thoughts they are the best hands down!