Cleaning (and protecting) an emblem on a rig

• HTML tutorial

Tyler Higgins

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Houston,TX
Member #

I am happy I checked this thread out. I I live on the Oregon Coast and we have a very high salt content all the time around us. I will make sure that I keep an eye on my emblem once I get it installed. I also like that @Michael is willing to replace some emblems free of charge. It shows how much this community means to the founders.

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
I am happy I checked this thread out. I I live on the Oregon Coast and we have a very high salt content all the time around us. I will make sure that I keep an eye on my emblem once I get it installed. I also like that @Michael is willing to replace some emblems free of charge. It shows how much this community means to the founders.
I love this thread! Thank you guys! We want to emblems to last a lifetime, but we have found that some environments are very harsh on the emblems...like Minnesota :) "Hot to Protect" the emblem is great, and we appreciate everything you do to ensure they last a long time, but as @Tyler Higgins said, if an emblem gets tarnished by "The Elements" we will replace it for free, just contact info@overlandbound.com.

Reactions: toxicity_27

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
Reviewing this thread, I think we should do a FAQ on possible emblem treatments. The factory can do a protective coating, but honestly - it looked heavy handed and too thick. Here is an example. The factory also said they could do less coating. What do you guys think? To do this, we would probably offer it as an option and not do it on every emblem.

unnamed (2).jpg

Reactions: Ironhide Fx4

Tyler Higgins

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Houston,TX
Member #

I think offering a coating would be a good idea, I think for me living on the beach with a lot of sand and salt in the air it would come in handy, but I also agree that the coating in the pic is to heavy.

Reactions: Michael

Ironhide Fx4

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

VT
Member #

Reviewing this thread, I think we should do a FAQ on possible emblem treatments. The factory can do a protective coating, but honestly - it looked heavy handed and too thick. Here is an example. The factory also said they could do less coating. What do you guys think? To do this, we would probably offer it as an option and not do it on every emblem.

View attachment 21262
I would like the coating option. I scrubbed my emblem the other day and it has taken a hit from the salt spray. It's not ruined yet but one more winter will be brutal.

Malkerie

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Val-Des-Monts, Quebec, Canada
Member #

View attachment 21262
its either too thick or too thin........ if one was to cast the emblem in ultra clear casting acrylic, sand it to desired profile and then buff the heck out of it, I'm sure it would look great. Gona give it a try when I get mine (ordered 2 days ago) and I'll let you know how it looks.

toxicity_27

US MidWest Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Member II

Minnesota
Member #

Glad I found this thread. My emblem is in bad shape from the salt this winter. Going to try to clean it up with some baking soda and water and see what happens.

Reactions: OuterLimits

Jade Overland

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneola, FL
I've found that toothpaste and a hard bristle tooth brush can be good for a lite polishing of metal. Maybe that would be enough to get your badge cleaned up. My badge should be in tomorrow (got delayed in shipping somewhere) and I plan to plastidip it to match my other badges.

KTM GRIZZLY

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Apache Junction, AZ, USA
First Name
Charles
Last Name
Girard
Member #

Try painting them with a non yellowing clear coat for the States where there's road salt .any kind of non yellowing clear coat that you can coat it with will protect it. I lived in Pennsylvania 4 years clear coating thing has helped a lot to protect finishes

Reactions: jgould