• HTML tutorial

jgould

Rank I
Founder 500
Launch Member

Contributor I

Circleville, OH
Member #

So, I have a question regarding keeping your emblem clean. Unfortunately I'm not talking about mud or regular dirt and grime, but that damned road salt they use up here in the northern states...

I ran my rig through a car was last night and got most of the grime off of her, but I still have salt all over the emblem...

Anyone have any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

4xFar Adventures

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Benefactor

San Francisco,CA
First Name
Brenton
Last Name
Corns
Member #

Not too long ago, someone had a similar issue. I suggested using CLR (not sure what caused his corrosion). White vinegar or a baking soda and water mixture. You could also try a place like West Marine. They might have something to remove or mitigate salt corrosion.

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
@jgould @B Wild If you guys have any trouble getting your emblem clean, or you find that your emblem is tarnished permanently (we have had a few cases of certain muds reacting to the emblem), contact @Corrie at: info@overlandbound.com and we will replace it for you for free.

Let us know!

M

B Wild

Rank VII
Supporter
Investor

Creator I

Issaquah, Washington
First Name
Neil
Last Name
Hall
Member #

Reactions: Michael

maktruk

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Member #

If you use an automatic carwash, the reclaimed water has a very very high level of total dissolved solids, and will buildup in the crevices.

Reactions: John~SWNM

jgould

Rank I
Founder 500
Launch Member

Contributor I

Circleville, OH
Member #

@jgould @B Wild If you guys have any trouble getting your emblem clean, or you find that your emblem is tarnished permanently (we have had a few cases of certain muds reacting to the emblem), contact @Corrie at: info@overlandbound.com and we will replace it for you for free.

Let us know!

M
Mine has what appears to be salt all over the emblem. I've tried to use a soft bristled tooth brush and dawn dish soap to clean the crevices but it seems to have done no good. Is there a way to safely apply clear coat to the emblem to protect it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Glenn

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate I

New Tazewell, Tennessee, USA
First Name
Glenn
Last Name
Cote
Member #

I have not mounted mine yet but when I do get them on I will regard any tarnishing, stains etc. as I regard the scratches in my rig and call it "experienced"... :sunglasses:
I have not had a chance to put a magnet to it yet but if they are steel Im gonna tack weld them on too...lol

mase001

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

Fwiw if you have any ren wax you can put a coating of that on to protect it. Rub that on and buff off after each wash if the finish is important to you and should work wonders without scratching it. It's delicate enough to be able to remove it from the crevices.

Reactions: awolfnspirit

Vyscera

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chico, CA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Smith
Member #

No kidding, I wash my motorcycle once a year, when it rains so I don't have to keep rinsing it. The truck gets rains bathes, unless I have to kick off some dried crud.

AdventureWithDanan

Local Expert, Florida USA
Investor

Pathfinder II

Safety Harbor, FL, USA
First Name
Danan
Last Name
Coleman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W3AWD
Service Branch
CERT
Thinking of plastic dipping mine matt black !!!!
I plastidipped my bumpers and grill on my truck, if there's one piece of advice I could give you it would be to do at LEAST 4 coats, suggest 5 or 6. I only did two on mine (on purpose) to see what the results were, and it looked great for a while, but then road rocks started taking little pieces out and the chrome started showing through. Rear bumper was perfect.

Bear in mind that I did mine with a spray can instead of purchasing the gallon cans. So if you use a paint sprayer, I'd bet 3 coats would be just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: David B

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
One of mine is mounted on the back of my wagon and as a result is next to impossible to keep clean when the snow flies. It just started showing salt marks and if I have to remove it to clean it up I'll go right past dip and just powder coat it.

Reactions: SLO Rob