Carrying extra fuel on the cheap

• HTML tutorial

Arepas

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

USA
Member #

Planning on going to death valley next month, there is a place that I want to visit and I'll probably need extra fuel if one of the nearest gas station is closed. I plan to visit the Eureka Dunes and explore around, I would like to be able to go, explore and return and still have some gas to go to the second nearest gas station. I think my tank is enough but I would feel better if I have an extra 3 or 4 gallons.

I ran some numbers and I think I can get away with a rotopax inside my car instead of spending money and carrying it outside. Any concerns with this? any suggestions?

EDIT:
My rig is a Jeep JKU (4 doors) stock with soon to have (hopefully) a RTT and roof rack but very close to dynamic capacity

Last edited:

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

@Arepas

Planning on going to death valley next month, there is a place that I want to visit and I'll probably need extra fuel if one of the nearest gas station is closed. I plan to visit the Eureka Dunes and explore around, I would like to be able to go, explore and return and still have some gas to go to the second nearest gas station. I think my tank is enough but I would feel better if I have an extra 3 or 4 gallons.

I ran some numbers and I think I can get away with a rotopax inside my car instead of spending money and carrying it outside. Any concerns with this? any suggestions?
Sounds like you're planning ahead.
Personally I avoid carrying Gas inside the car. Esp on rough roads, in the heat. As the gas sloshes around and gets warmer it'll start to atomize increasing the pressure inside the jerrycan/rotopax making it easier to leak and at a minimum stink everything up. Not sure what rig you have or if something like this would work but here is what I did:
I'm running a Wavian 5 gal jerry can in a simple holder (https://wavianusa.com/products/2-5-gallon-jerry-can-mounting-system-html) mounted to a drop hitch receiver turned upside down via a piece of plywood, locked in with a locking hitch pin.
Been using it since the 2017 Eclipse trip and has worked well. Nice because I can pop it off and move it to the back of the trailer when I'm towing. Does not interfere too much with exit angle and can be removed if I see something coming that might bash it.

If you have a roof rack and already have the RotoPax here is an idea from Sir_FJ_Harington on the FJ forums that might also work for you:
https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/interior-exterior-visual-tech/164598-diy-rotopax-factory-roof-rack-mount.html

Boort

Reactions: Jedi

Arepas

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

USA
Member #

Yes, my plan was to only fill it before heading there from the nearest gas station, if it was closed then postpone that trip. Take it out on every stop and (ground my self by touching the metal of my car) vent it, as soon as I consumed 1/4 tank (5.7 gallons) or so, then put that gas in to the tank. I do have a roof rack and I think I can fit this in but I am concern that it is going to be taking lots of sun up there and heat it self... also it will put me really close to the dynamic weight limit along with my roof top tent and some other stuff (chairs, etc..)

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

@Arepas
Yes, my plan was to only fill it before heading there from the nearest gas station, if it was closed then postpone that trip. Take it out on every stop and (ground my self by touching the metal of my car) vent it, as soon as I consumed 1/4 tank (5.7 gallons) or so, then put that gas in to the tank. I do have a roof rack and I think I can fit this in but I am concern that it is going to be taking lots of sun up there and heat it self... also it will put me really close to the dynamic weight limit along with my roof top tent and some other stuff (chairs, etc..)
That is much the same as what we've done when camping off grid in Utah (Canyonlands and CapitolReef NP with similar lack of gas stations).
I'd be more worried about the Dynamic weight limit of the rack that you mention. Likely only because I ran around for about 2 years in a rattle can black VW Baja Bug with a full 5 gal Gas can tied to the roof (Gas Gauge never worked). This was a Borg store cheepo plastic gas can not a RotoPax. I found that you can help with the heat by shading the can from the sun. I used a scrap of white Tyvek house wrap tied at the front and bungied in the rear to keep the flapping down.

Another (NOT inexpensive) option if you have an underbelly spare would be to track down a reserve spare tire jerry can from an older Benz, Porsche 911, or VW beetle. Originals are stupid expensive collectors items, last I looked and I'm not sure if anyone makes reproductions but the 7L Benz one has a hole in it to allow the spare hoist to pass through. I don't recall the Porsche or VW ones having the donut hole.

Boort

Reactions: Eric Neal

v_man

Rank IV

Advocate I

Redwood City
I've carried two 3-gallon Roto's on my roof for many trips through many altitude and temperature changes. The trick is to tighten the heck of of the spouts; I use a cresecent wrench to tighten the spouts. The Roto's do swell and expand but I've never had a leak.

Common sense tells you it's wiser to carry gas on the outside of the car. You never know when you might be in an accident, or get hit by someone, that causes the gas carried inside a vehicle to spill.

Eureka Valley is really great, or you heading through Dedeckera Canyon into the Saline?

Reactions: Graeman and Jimmy P

v_man

Rank IV

Advocate I

Redwood City
I don't think there's a right or wrong way to go but going: Saline Valley > Saline Valley Hot Springs > over Steele Pass > through Dedeckera Canyon > To Eureka Valley Sand Dune is almost entirely on dirt, more challenging, more remote, more fun IMO.

Arepas

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

USA
Member #

I don't think there's a right or wrong way to go but going: Saline Valley > Saline Valley Hot Springs > over Steele Pass > through Dedeckera Canyon > To Eureka Valley Sand Dune is almost entirely on dirt, more challenging, more remote, more fun IMO.
That seems awesome but first time soloing here in this country, new car, family, new setup, etc... I rather be safe this time

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

Strongly recommended never to carry gas cans in your car. Extremely dangerous for many reasons. You could probably get away with just lashing it to your roof rack as long as you do so carefully. Cheaper than using rotopax mounts.

Arepas

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

USA
Member #

That one does look nice.
It does but it is some money for 3 galons of gas. I wonder i can push it with the 3.5 at least... I mean I only plan to use it for this trip, not as a part of my daily driver setup

RedRob

Rank V

Traveler III

Sonora, CA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Irwin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6VUL
Service Branch
USMC
I have no direct experience with RotoPax. I understand them to be very high quality and the chances of having a problem with them inside your vehicle are extremely slim. Of course if you do have a problem you might burn to death. This risk/benefit ratio doesn’t work for me.

Reactions: SashaLee