Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
Go to a surplus store and grab a USGI steel 5 gallon can. I used to run my old Isuzu with a plastic can in the bed (only a 10 gallon tank, so extra fuel was a must) and had issues with it off gassing and expanding and all kinds of stuff in the summer months. When I went to the steel can, problems were gone. Not to mention mounts for the old GI style cans are a dime a dozen and cheap and can be easilly adapted to any rig. You could probably get a GI can and a mount for about the price of just a single RotoPax can.

MazeVX

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

My dad used to have spare gas in the trunk all of his life 365 days a year nothing ever happened ...
To be legal as a gas canister in germany the manufacturer must approve its products, they shall not break or leak in a given accident.

Reactions: Arepas

Arepas

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

USA
Member #

My dad used to have spare gas in the trunk all of his life 365 days a year nothing ever happened ...
To be legal as a gas canister in germany the manufacturer must approve its products, they shall not break or leak in a given accident.
Yeah I recall this to from old times and never heard of anyone's car burning to the ground because of it.

Reactions: MazeVX

mep1811

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

El Paso, Texas
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Perez
Are you running an external spare tire carrier?

If so why not invest a $100.00 bucks in spare tire mount?

Or you can use ratchet straps to secure the rotopax to the tire.

Arepas

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

USA
Member #

Are you running an external spare tire carrier?

If so why not invest a $100.00 bucks in spare tire mount?

Or you can use ratchet straps to secure the rotopax to the tire.
FIWI I already resolved this, invested in a beefed up tire mount and enough to carry 10 gallons, I will post photos latter. The reasoning behind this was thinking where I see my build going (not rock climbing/crawling). Investing $120 in the strap, beefier hinges ($280), 4 gallons rotopax fuel container ($140), rotopax mounts, etc.... added a bit more and got something more permanent

Arepas

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

USA
Member #

Rexplorer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Educator I

Lake Country, BC, Canada
Member #

That was the initial was I was going but also needed reinforced hinges to be able to carry a total of 4 gallons of gas plus possible 1 of water
I think the beauty of this syatem is you only need reinforced hinges when you are fully loaded on the trail. And even then its only when you are using or keeping the door open. Learn to keep the door closed more and only have the weight on when you actually might need it, and stock hinges will be fine. Or at least that what i tell myself.

Reactions: Arepas

Retinens803

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

South Carolina, USA
First Name
CJC
Last Name
CJC
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4BMJ
Very lucky

I can't even get my father to free up a weekend to go camping let alone a 7 day adventure.