Camp Stove

• HTML tutorial

vasily

Rank I
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler II

I'm about to use my REI coupon and dividends to buy a 2 burner portable camp stove...

Any recommendations? Any sugestions on what to look for and what to avoid?

Reactions: CWu21 and TWT

vasily

Rank I
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler II

Sweet. Thanks Steve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Young Satchel

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Just bought a Primus Tupike Dual Burner. I'll be starting a new thread about my recent basecamp reboot and reviewing it (and several other new products) shortly, but suffice to say initial impressions after my first trip with it are quite favorable:

Roger352

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

, Cornwall PL17 , United Kingdom
First Name
Roger
Last Name
Smith
Member #

It depends on what kind of camping you do. If you're car camping then you can't go wrong with a Coleman. They're rugged and will last a generation or 2. I prefer the dual fuel ones that run off of white gas or unleaded. The propane versions are good too.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
+2

vasily

Rank I
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler II

It depends on what kind of camping you do. If you're car camping then you can't go wrong with a Coleman. They're rugged and will last a generation or 2. I prefer the dual fuel ones that run off of white gas or unleaded. The propane versions are good too.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Isn't this whole forum dedicated to car camping?

I have a MSR Pocket Rocket as most of my stuff is geared toward backpacking, but I'm doing bigger trips with more people... That are vehicle dependent... So I have more room and more need for a bigger stove.

Reactions: Eric Neal and Jube

Young Satchel

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

I have a MSR Pocket Rocket as most of my stuff is geared toward backpacking, but I'm doing bigger trips with more people... That are vehicle dependent... So I have more room and more need for a bigger stove.
That's exactly how I got the Primus above. Been rolling with a MSR whisperlite international for years as a backpacker, but once I had kids and got into overland a stouter more capable 2-burner was a must.

Reactions: jbooth07 and vasily

jbooth07

Rank 0

Traveler I

I would suggest getting a non-built in ignition stove. Get one that requires you to have a flame source to light. Reason being: worst case scenario, if you are always prepared to light the stove, you'll never have to worry about the igniter going out. I guess it would still work the same once you turn the fuel on but mindset is everything...

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Paul C.

Rank 0

Contributor I

Yeah, I guess it is :) . I use sites like this and Expo to get ideas that go back and forth between car camping and backpacking. I meant to add "if weight isn't an issue". My wife and I have used a propane version for years (her dad handed it down to her). I just recently purchased the larger duel fuel guide version as well as a duel fuel lantern. This is helping to consolidate the types of fuel that I have to carry and eliminating the need for multiple partially empty fuel canisters rolling around in the rest of my gear. There are adapters that will hook a full sized propane tank to the stoves and lanterns, I just haven't ever tried them out.

Coleman stoves aren't the newest or shiniest but they work and definitely have a certain nostalgia about them if you're into that sort of thing.

Reactions: shandygaff550

Coleman two burner is the way to go, I would say they are the standard that everyone else is attempting to copy. Also the pans you are using make a HUGE difference, cast iron holds heat a million times better so you use less fuel, and can clean up with nothing more than a paper town (in most cases), but that's another topic all together.

Sent from my VS987 using OB Talk mobile app

Paul C.

Rank 0

Contributor I

Also, some outdoors stores rent camping/backpacking equipment. That isn't a bad idea to get an idea of what you need vs what looks cool on the internet lol. Borrowing gear from someone or going on a group trip with others is also a good way to see what really works. I've bought plenty of stuff that I thought was a great idea, only to replace it later or go back to what I was using before.

DMS1

Rank III

Advocate I

San Dimas
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Schmitz
I recently got a GAS one stove - it works with Butane Cartridges AND Propane tanks. I have been using these kind of stoves lately due to their smaller size and inexpensive gas cartridges, but the ability to use propane was an added bonus for this stove.

Reactions: Moriarty

hairy_apple

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Grass Valley, CA
Member #

1960's Sears stove I got at a yard sale for $8. Looked like crap. Sand blasted it, painted it, and it's my favorite stove by far now. Way out preforms propane in cold and high elevation. A couple friends were making fun of my 1960's stove on the Rubicon a few years ago, but it was November and got into the teens at night, at high elevation too... and none of their fancy propane stoves would do anything but blow liquid propane out of them in the morning. Guess who's "goofy" old stove made them all coffee that morning. :)

20046692_10210698614046401_8349730034053346392_n.jpg

Before:
20140121_10210698610566314_9103329144061635412_n.jpg

Eric Haltom

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Mesa, Maricopa County, Arizona, United States
First Name
Haltom
Last Name
Family
Member #

I started out with one of these....

WAY TOO SMALL! So, I got one of these:

Turns out, for overlanding, this is a bit too big. However, if you have a multi-day (more than 2) base camp, the Big Gas Grill is awesome. I bought this before I knew I wanted to set my truck up as an overland vehicle.