Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
1960's Sears stove I got at a yard sale for $8. Looked like crap. Sand blasted it, painted it, and it's my favorite stove by far now. Way out preforms propane in cold and high elevation. A couple friends were making fun of my 1960's stove on the Rubicon a few years ago, but it was November and got into the teens at night, at high elevation too... and none of their fancy propane stoves would do anything but blow liquid propane out of them in the morning. Guess who's "goofy" old stove made them all coffee that morning. :)

View attachment 29540

Before:
View attachment 29544
I just picked up the exact same stove dated 1/70. Oiled the pump cup and it fired right up! I'm looking forward to getting to use it soon.

20170701_161222.jpg

hairy_apple

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Grass Valley, CA
Member #

Oh man, awesome. I love that stove so much. I like it because it's a bit smaller, and unique. Everyone has a old school Coleman hanging out in their garage, but I had never seen a Sears one before I bought this one. I haven't actually dated mine, I guess I should look sometime.
If you ever need to replace the leather cup, there is a guy on Ebay who sells them from Turkey. They take 2 weeks or so to get here, but they are way nicer then any other replacement cups I've seen. I have a bunch of old stoves and lanterns now.... this old Sears got me hooked. lol

Reactions: Moriarty and TerryD

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
I was hooked before I found this one but it popped up on the facebook yard sale page and I snapped it up. The date is stamped under the fuel tank mounting tabs.

20170628_185923.jpg

hairy_apple

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Grass Valley, CA
Member #

Yeah... it started so innocently. I thought it would be cool to have some 60/70s camping gear to go with my old cruiser. I wasn't even really sure I would use it, just thought it might be fun to go to a car show with the FJ40 full of period camping gear in the back.

Then I was hooked. This stuff is awesome.

I still need a new decal for it, but I finally got a matching lantern.
19430150_10210511615491554_7601017095829323046_n.jpg

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
I just wanted something to cook on at camp. Up till my first stove, we always just cooked hotdogs on sticks. Now we're working toward trail gourmet! Now I'm hooked on them and can't quit buying them when I find them for single digit prices....

Jeepney

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

MN
I recently got a GAS one stove - it works with Butane Cartridges AND Propane tanks. I have been using these kind of stoves lately due to their smaller size and inexpensive gas cartridges, but the ability to use propane was an added bonus for this stove.

I have the butane only and we find that we had been using this mostly vs the coleman 2-burner since it is in our quick box. The butane can goes quick though but like the heat output.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Young Satchel

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Yeah... it started so innocently. I thought it would be cool to have some 60/70s camping gear to go with my old cruiser. I wasn't even really sure I would use it, just thought it might be fun to go to a car show with the FJ40 full of period camping gear in the back.

Then I was hooked. This stuff is awesome.

I still need a new decal for it, but I finally got a matching lantern.
View attachment 29568
That lantern! [emoji1305][emoji1360]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: hairy_apple

DocTorres112

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Antonio, TX, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Torres
Member #

I use the Eureka 2 burner, a partner of JetBoil. Stove has the ability to link up w/ other Eureka stoves off the same propane, or the ability to link up w/ a smaller jet boil, again while sharing the same fuel source.

I selected this stove over campchef and coleman as this had the best rated simmer control. So far, I have had zero issues w/ the stove.

-Chris IMG_4319.jpg

Last edited:

PNWExplore

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Bend Oregon
Member #

I have been bringing my Blackstone Table Top Griddle with me So nice, clean up is seconds, anything that needs grilling, I just do over open coals. I also just have a pocket rocket and my GSI dualist set with me as well for water or freeze dried meals that we sometimes opt to have

IMG_20160626_093756.jpg

adventure_is_necessary

Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Kansas

Traveler III

Bonner Springs, Kansas, United States
First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
I currently use a few different stove set-ups as I do a lot of bikepacking. My go-to is my penny stove and I run it off of denatured alcohol. It seems to burn very clean and when paired with my Vargo wood stove as a base and wind block, it works rather well. The downside to the penny stove is the limited fuel stores for cooking given the size of the stove I made. The Vargo titanium wood stove works great when a wood fire is allowed. It doesn't burn as clean as a gas stove would, but the fuel source is abundant (usually) when camping. My third stove is a Snow Peak Lite Max Titanium stove. I have very limited experience with this particular stove, but I have used similar stoves in the past. The iso-butane fuel canisters are great for the amount of use they offer, as well as the multi-season use. While all of these options are great for lightweight camping, they are not the best for overlanding. I am keeping my eyes peeled for an oldschool Coleman 2-burner in either the propane or dual fuel flavors.

professorkx

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

I would suggest getting a non-built in ignition stove. Get one that requires you to have a flame source to light. Reason being: worst case scenario, if you are always prepared to light the stove, you'll never have to worry about the igniter going out. I guess it would still work the same once you turn the fuel on but mindset is everything...

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk
Off topic, but I'm never without phosphoric steel and a knife, and haven't used a lighter in years. I use tree sap mixed with pine needles and roll into a little log. Cut off a slice and you have a fire in seconds. When riding the dual sport, I carry a zip lock bag that contains cotton rounds smeared with petroleum jelly. Works as good as tree sap. I even fly with pyrophoric steel, and when I land, I stop and buy a cheap knife for fire and defense, then toss the knife in the trash before I go through security.

You never know when or where you will get stranded, and adventures in the back woods increase the risk. With fire, you won't freeze, can purify water, can cook anything you find to eat, with the added benefit of being able to light your camp stove.

adventure_is_necessary

Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Kansas

Traveler III

Bonner Springs, Kansas, United States
First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
Off topic, but I'm never without phosphoric steel and a knife, and haven't used a lighter in years. I use tree sap mixed with pine needles and roll into a little log. Cut off a slice and you have a fire in seconds. When riding the dual sport, I carry a zip lock bag that contains cotton rounds smeared with petroleum jelly. Works as good as tree sap. I even fly with pyrophoric steel, and when I land, I stop and buy a cheap knife for fire and defense, then toss the knife in the trash before I go through security.

You never know when or where you will get stranded, and adventures in the back woods increase the risk. With fire, you won't freeze, can purify water, can cook anything you find to eat, with the added benefit of being able to light your camp stove.

Agreed! I have a few different types of fire starting implements in my rig at all times with a few things to aid in starting a fire.

Don Meredith

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Greenville, SC
Member #

+1 on the Primus Tupike. I got a Coleman from REI but returned it because the flame control was...well, awful. The primus is much better made and has really fine flame control that doesn't hunt over time. The built in ignitors are a nice touch. Pressing from the side makes it less likely for me to splash other pots when I'm lighting a burner. Good stuff!

Dana

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Reno, NV
Member #

I use the Eureka 2 burner, a partner of JetBoil. Stove has the ability to link up w/ other Eureka stoves off the same propane, or the ability to link up w/ a smaller jet boil, again while sharing the same fuel source.

I selected this stove over campchef and coleman as this had the best rated simmer control. So far, I have had zero issues w/ the stove.

-Chris View attachment 29894
Chris does the jetlink work with a jetboil flash for example?

Jeff Swain

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Springfield, Missouri
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Swain
Member #

1960's Sears stove I got at a yard sale for $8. Looked like crap. Sand blasted it, painted it, and it's my favorite stove by far now. Way out preforms propane in cold and high elevation. A couple friends were making fun of my 1960's stove on the Rubicon a few years ago, but it was November and got into the teens at night, at high elevation too... and none of their fancy propane stoves would do anything but blow liquid propane out of them in the morning. Guess who's "goofy" old stove made them all coffee that morning. :)

View attachment 29540

Before:
View attachment 29544
I have a old sears stove just like that. I got it at an auction probably 6-7 years ago, brand new in the box. I decided to try it out and see if it would work after sitting all those years. It worked great! I usually use my coleman 2 burner stove but I like to use the old sears stove at times. It is an awesome stove!

Reactions: TerryD

Dana

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Reno, NV
Member #

I have a old sears stove just like that. I got it at an auction probably 6-7 years ago, brand new in the box. I decided to try it out and see if it would work after sitting all those years. It worked great! I usually use my coleman 2 burner stove but I like to use the old sears stove at times. It is an awesome stove!
I don't know anything about retro stoves but it seems a new in the box old Sears camp stove might actually be worth something. Like to a collector but it sounds like you are getting more enjoyment out of it than any collector would.

Jeff Swain

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Springfield, Missouri
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Swain
Member #

I don't know anything about retro stoves but it seems a new in the box old Sears camp stove might actually be worth something. Like to a collector but it sounds like you are getting more enjoyment out of it than any collector would.
I didn't use it for awhile after I got it. Then curiosity got the better of me and I wanted to know if it would still work.

Reactions: TerryD