Camp Stove

• HTML tutorial

Enthusiast II

Hartford, SD
We still have the good old Colman white gas that has been used and abused but keeps working. We have one of the jet boild stoves for hiking or warm drinks. We have 2 lanterns that use the same fuel. It's nice to only carry one fuel type. But we cook on the fire as much as possible so the stove doesn't get used a lot unless we are in a hurry.

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
I've posted pictures of my old Sears stove but I've had this 414 Powerhouse longer than the Sears but had never used it. I broke it out this evening to fix supper on, getting it ready to take on a trip this summer. Also got to use my Sea-to-Summit XPOT for the first time too!

20180128_162242.jpg

Hawkeye #1

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Denmark, Iowa
First Name
David
Last Name
Yaley
Member #

I'm just getting started overlading. I have both white Gass and Lp Colman two burner stoves. Which would work best ?

utspoolup

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Member III

Murray Utah
Member #

Best is in the eye of the user. Some LP setups may be finicky once you pass 8000 ft in elevation (give or take a little) but being you are from IA and the max elevation for the whole state being under 1700ft, you dont have to worry about the LP issue at higher elevations unless you cross borders. The dual fuel is great since it can use white gas, av gas, and just general good ole petrol from your rig if shit really hits the fan. As you liked my post previously you know I like partner stove (ALOT) but still own several coleman dual fuels. I would take the partner over the coleman, but I always keep a Primus omnifuel in my GHB. That dam thing can run on vodka and diesel if needed. IE flexibility truly is the king of roost on the zombie apocalypse, but for good ole "works every time with out finicking too much" propane is it. But you will never hear a blues song strumb a cord about the propane blue flame. FYI fox outfitters makes a really nice folding grill that takes up little room in the chuck box (I have all 3 sizes, the medium size is great for the rig and seriously takes up the room of a few deck of card, check it ou) and I just bought in the last month a Titan solo stove and 1800 ml pot for backpacking this year. I have used it a few times and must say it is a decent little setup for using biomass. IE wood/ twigs/ bark/ etc from your explorations.

IE one will find that there is more options to shake a stick at but most are generally pretty cheap which allows one to experiment and find what it takes to make their chuck kit complete.

Its like the Ford vs Chevy vs Toyota argument. That is why I own a Nissan.

Reactions: Hawkeye #1

Hawkeye #1

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Denmark, Iowa
First Name
David
Last Name
Yaley
Member #

Best is in the eye of the user. Some LP setups may be finicky once you pass 8000 ft in elevation (give or take a little) but being you are from IA and the max elevation for the whole state being under 1700ft, you dont have to worry about the LP issue at higher elevations unless you cross borders. The dual fuel is great since it can use white gas, av gas, and just general good ole petrol from your rig if shit really hits the fan. As you liked my post previously you know I like partner stove (ALOT) but still own several coleman dual fuels. I would take the partner over the coleman, but I always keep a Primus omnifuel in my GHB. That dam thing can run on vodka and diesel if needed. IE flexibility truly is the king of roost on the zombie apocalypse, but for good ole "works every time with out finicking too much" propane is it. But you will never hear a blues song strumb a cord about the propane blue flame. FYI fox outfitters makes a really nice folding grill that takes up little room in the chuck box (I have all 3 sizes, the medium size is great for the rig and seriously takes up the room of a few deck of card, check it ou) and I just bought in the last month a Titan solo stove and 1800 ml pot for backpacking this year. I have used it a few times and must say it is a decent little setup for using biomass. IE wood/ twigs/ bark/ etc from your explorations.

IE one will find that there is more options to shake a stick at but most are generally pretty cheap which allows one to experiment and find what it takes to make their chuck kit complete.

Its like the Ford vs Chevy vs Toyota argument. That is why I own a Nissan.
Wow, wasn't expecting that extensive of a response, but I really appreciate it.
Thanks

Reactions: utspoolup

PCO6

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Newmarket, Ontario
First Name
Stew
Last Name
Beatty
Member #

We're heading out in the morning for a week of camping and I decided to get a new stove for the trip. Nothing fancy, quite the opposite actually … just a basic 2 burner Coleman propane stove. I've used the same basic unit for the last 15 years or so and it's held up well. It still works great but it's a 3 burner stove and that's the only thing I don't like about it. Two burner is the way to go.

I also have a Coleman single burner stove which I sometimes take on day trips or as an extra when with bigger groups when camping.

Hawkeye #1

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Denmark, Iowa
First Name
David
Last Name
Yaley
Member #

We're heading out in the morning for a week of camping and I decided to get a new stove for the trip. Nothing fancy, quite the opposite actually … just a basic 2 burner Coleman propane stove. I've used the same basic unit for the last 15 years or so and it's held up well. It still works great but it's a 3 burner stove and that's the only thing I don't like about it. Two burner is the way to go.

I also have a Coleman single burner stove which I sometimes take on day trips or as an extra when with bigger groups when camping.

I have been thinking about getting one of the colman single burner stoves like that power house you have pictured. I will be doing most of my overlanding by myself so I'm thinking I probably don't need a two burner stove.
I have been checking out butane single burner stoves also. Very compact and light. I don't have any experience with them though

Hawkeye #1

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Denmark, Iowa
First Name
David
Last Name
Yaley
Member #

Anyone have any experience with butane fueled stoves ?
They look like I may be able to save some space and weight if they would work out.

utspoolup

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Member III

Murray Utah
Member #

Still using these two old 425's... No complaints yet.

View attachment 60314 View attachment 60315
Do you really camp with a full size coffeemaker and a gallon of dish soap? I just carry a little 4 oz nalgeen HDPE bottle for stuff like that, will cut down on what you have in your kit and prevents messes. Nice setup regardless, just seen the soap and had to say something.

Reactions: Kingsize

Kingsize

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Mont Belvieu, TX
Member #

Do you really camp with a full size coffeemaker and a gallon of dish soap? I just carry a little 4 oz nalgeen HDPE bottle for stuff like that, will cut down on what you have in your kit and prevents messes. Nice setup regardless, just seen the soap and had to say something.
Yep... When we camp with the wife we sure do. Happy wife, happy life. She HAS to have a coffee maker and the dish soap we had just got in town since we didn't have any packed. That was the only one they had, so that was what we grabbed. If it is just the boys and me, I use the percolator. Just as easy IMO.