Camp Site Tips and Tricks.

• HTML tutorial

Mike G

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

San Jose, CA
Member #

Picked up this compact squeegee at Loves Truck Stop for my Overland trips. It works great to remove the dust/dirt and bugs off the windshield when on the trails. IMG_3281.JPGIMG_3283.JPG

ArkansasDon

Rank V
Launch Member

Member I

I made a thermo cover for our Coleman Folding Oven from a welding blanket. I also use a digital thermometer to keep accurate temperature inside the oven. The cover works very well & helps keep the heat steady & inside the oven. The wife makes cinnamon rolls, casserole's, & other dishes that require baking. We keep our folding Coleman Oven & the fitted welding blanket cover when not in use in the shoe bag that came with our Smittybilt RTT. For our shoes we use the Compact Camping Concepts shoe hammock.
Another is cold weather camping is the Tepui RTT Insulator Insert. The one I bought from Scott @ Compact Camping Concepts fits my Smittybilt mod. 2783 like a glove. This make a huge difference in warmth. The install & removal only take 4 minutes putting it up & 4 minutes taking it down.
29216344_1615039718544896_999860023382274099_n.jpg29261035_1615038928544975_8865162866324259668_n.jpg54364816_2102365713145625_8755161206488039424_n.jpg50872942_2043111025737761_3854854734389182464_n.jpg

jimbofoxman

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Oshtemo Township, MI, USA
Member #

Another is cold weather camping is the Tepui RTT Insulator Insert. The one I bought from Scott @ Compact Camping Concepts fits my Smittybilt mod. 2783 like a glove. This make a huge difference in warmth. The install & removal only take 4 minutes putting it up & 4 minutes taking it down.
Sounds like you are digging those inserts. Been leaning towards a Tepui myself for that reason. Having the option to easily add those in.

Reactions: Mike G

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
I use these lines for my dogs. I attach one end to my recovery point and the other on a tree. Use carabiners to connect their leash to the line. This gives them 100 feet to run and explore so I don't always have to keep an eye on them. Takes a quick glance down the line and you know what your pet is up to!
If you let your dog roam free around camp unsupervised, or they like to go off exploring by themselves, remove their collar and use a HARNESS. While it's still possible to get hung up, they are much less likely to strangle if they get hung up. The first time i took my dog out off leash, I let him get out about 50-60 feet, before calling him back. After a couple of repeat sessions, he never went further on his own, aka....he self regulated himself. It gave me 'peace of mind' on not worrying on where he might be.

Mike G

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

San Jose, CA
Member #

A tip I learned from @kkauweloa for cold weather camping is to use hand warmers in your sleeping bag.

I recommend using the Super Warmers by Hot Hands. Their twice as big as the regular hand warmers and last way longer. I used a bunch of them on my December trip to Alabama Hills when it got down to 28 deg. Toss a couple in the sleeping bag before you go to sleep and you’ll have a nice warm bag when you get in.

IMG_5222.JPGIMG_5191.JPG

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
I made a thermo cover for our Coleman Folding Oven from a welding blanket. I also use a digital thermometer to keep accurate temperature inside the oven. The cover works very well & helps keep the heat steady & inside the oven. The wife makes cinnamon rolls, casserole's, & other dishes that require baking. We keep our folding Coleman Oven & the fitted welding blanket cover when not in use in the shoe bag that came with our Smittybilt RTT. For our shoes we use the Compact Camping Concepts shoe hammock.
View attachment 96713View attachment 96714View attachment 96716View attachment 96719
Damn, I've had motel rooms not near as nice.

TexasGMG

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Hell
First Name
Fuck
Last Name
Off

newhaircut

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Kentucky
First Name
Wes
Last Name
Smith
The item I use the most are these little magnetic flashlights. I have probably a 6-8, though the kids usually have a few. They’re “2-in-1” so you can change the beam pattern, they’re magnetic, and they have a hook that’s super handy. I hang them in the tent (not overly bright, just enough), under the tent, on the awning, etc. I’m usually in/out of the RTT a few times a night with young kids and these are perfect to pop on/off. I couldn’t find the exact ones I have but I think they came from tractor supply ($2-3 ea), they look like below.

I did just purchase these rechargeable lights - going to give those whirl, try and use less batteries.

I also second the door mat. I also purchased a 6x8 plastic straw mat to put under our 270 awning (haven’t been able to use it yet). Anxious to try that but hope it reduces debris in the annex and trailer, and maybe some extra comfort for bare feet (weather dependent).

Lots of great ideas here!

Attachments