Camp Poop (sorry for the bluntness but I want to know)

• HTML tutorial

Moebius01

Rank V

Advocate I

TN, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Jowers
Member #

As long as we're on the topic of pooping in the woods, as it were... Has anyone used both Restop and Double Doodie products? If so, is one particularly better? We've been using a Luggable Loo bucket with the Restop 2 bags for the past year, but as I'm about to be out and need more, was looking at the Double Doodie brand bags since they're a bit cheaper. Just wondering if there's a marked quality difference.

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Something that I have done as a female is to bring a long pull on skirt, then you can go about anywhere, you know checking my phone near my rig… or checking out that darn wheel - pesky thing..…achievement unlocked.
We travel with a Phillips seat + privacy tent (now sold as CleanWaste); I dig a small hole under the seat and remove the bag/net for my wife to pee into the hole. Gives her a civilized place to sit at camp w/o wasting a wag bag for urine. I'll pass your tip along for going "roadside".

RJ Howell

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

I debated the PETT, yet ended up with a Thetford portable. This is mainly for the wife to pee at night and thinking if she requires more than once it could be weird.. The Thetford works great as such. Poo time is what most seem to do anyway, a place bag in in and dispose of. We use those grocery bags with scented cat liter. Tie them off and dispose at nearest convent place. When gone for months at a time, bring it home is no an option..

ArJayDubbaU

Rank V

Traveler III

New Hampshire, USA
First Name
Reggie
Last Name
Winterburn
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
…We use those grocery bags with scented cat liter. …
Ditto. I’ve used this for years out camping, and on my boat, that doesn’t have a head. Keeps everything absorbed, and contained. We have a 5 gal bucket and a toilet seat on top.

Nickel

Rank III

Pathfinder II

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Jones
Member #

After much debate and research and based on my needs, I ordered a Luggable Loo today with their Double Duty bags. I read mixed reviews on the Double Duty bags ability to control #2 scents, so also ordered a 10-pack of Eco Gel as backup. It has a lemongrass scent and gets good reviews. I have just a one night outing in mid June to a dry camp with a group so I will get a chance to try it out.

Decided on the Luggable Loo so I can store TP, bags, and other stuff in it while in transport. And also keep the full bag in the bucket on the way out before disposing. The Double Duty bags are supposed to be zip lock water tight based on what I read. LL and DD bags I got from REI. They were by far the cheapest which surprised me. And free shipping this week for members. LL has a new design with a rope carry handle instead of the metal one. And a handle on the bottom of the bucket for pouring out they say. Do people use these things in the raw without a liner bag?

I'll put an update here based on my experience. Also got a pop up poo/shower tent off AMZ. Didn't go cheap but didn't go expensive. $48. All in with the LL and Eco Gel and Double Duty bags came in under $100.

Kevin108

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Virginia Beach, VA
Member #

I use a small pop-up tent for ablutions. A Luggable Loo seat on a 5-gallon bucket provides convenience and comfort. I use black trash bags. Press as much air out as you can, and drop the bag into your Trasharoo or whatever you use to store trash.

IMG_1489.jpeg

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
I only overland to water now.

Add a few pounds of lead to my belt.
Jump in.
Warhammer maneuver.

Note: Anywhere south of Texas requires it to be performed inverted. (Not exactly like Top Gun, but close)

Moebius01

Rank V

Advocate I

TN, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Jowers
Member #

After much debate and research and based on my needs, I ordered a Luggable Loo today with their Double Duty bags. I read mixed reviews on the Double Duty bags ability to control #2 scents, so also ordered a 10-pack of Eco Gel as backup. It has a lemongrass scent and gets good reviews. I have just a one night outing in mid June to a dry camp with a group so I will get a chance to try it out.

Decided on the Luggable Loo so I can store TP, bags, and other stuff in it while in transport. And also keep the full bag in the bucket on the way out before disposing. The Double Duty bags are supposed to be zip lock water tight based on what I read. LL and DD bags I got from REI. They were by far the cheapest which surprised me. And free shipping this week for members. LL has a new design with a rope carry handle instead of the metal one. And a handle on the bottom of the bucket for pouring out they say. Do people use these things in the raw without a liner bag?

I'll put an update here based on my experience. Also got a pop up poo/shower tent off AMZ. Didn't go cheap but didn't go expensive. $48. All in with the LL and Eco Gel and Double Duty bags came in under $100.
We just made our first trip trying out the Double Doodie bags. While they did work, they definitely feel a little less "sure" than the Restop 2 bags I had been using. They sealed ok, and no leaks, but the Restop bags definitely feel higher quality and more secure. Odor wise, they were close, but I give the nod to Restop there as well. Double Doodie is a good bit cheaper, but to an extent this is one of those get-what-you-pay for cases.

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
We just made our first trip trying out the Double Doodie bags. While they did work, they definitely feel a little less "sure" than the Restop 2 bags I had been using. They sealed ok, and no leaks, but the Restop bags definitely feel higher quality and more secure. Odor wise, they were close, but I give the nod to Restop there as well. Double Doodie is a good bit cheaper, but to an extent this is one of those get-what-you-pay for cases.
A (guys) camp joke was how a person carries their used bag to the garbage - do they have the confidence to carry it in the palm of their hand feeling the warmth and the heft or do they pinch it by the corner and gently carry it? Humor probably lost on most ;)

Last edited:

Advtres

Rank VI
Investor

Steward I

Hollister, CA, USA
First Name
Lizabeth
Last Name
Deliriumskid
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6STB
I use one of these fold out seats and the DD bags, been working ok for me.
Disclaimer :
Note this is seat is SUPER short... so honestly its like a mini throne and a squatty potty all in one... win/win..
( being a short 웃 person does have its benefits )

I use the back tent vestibule to stow it, and it is just big enough if needed for potty breaks when in camp.
When not needed everything folds down and gets stowed away.

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

A (guys) camp joke was how a person carries their used bag to the garbage - do they have the confidence to carry it in the palm of their hand feeling the warmth and the heft or do they pinch it by the corner and gently carry it? Humor probably lost on most ;)
How much have I had to drink?

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
Thinking its sort of the same as when asked to carry your wifes purse, do you carry it loud and proud with style, or tuck it up close and hope no one notices....

• Haha
Reactions: Ubiety

WTSMatt

Rank V

Advocate I

Monterey, CA, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Stoddard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6TZY
Service Branch
Fire
5gal paint bucket, 3oz contractor bag, kitty litter, little blue packet that dissolves with liquid for the smell, snap on toilet seat with lid and a square egg crate to keep bucket in for more stable footing. Tie it up and throw it away. I pee outside to not load up with liquid and my GF uses it for 1 and 2

Reactions: CR-Venturer