Camp Poop (sorry for the bluntness but I want to know)

• HTML tutorial

canadianoverlanders

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Whitehorse, YT, Canada
First Name
Marcus
Last Name
and Laurie
Member #

We use a “Lug-a-loo” which is a 5 gal bucket with a toilet seat on it with “Double Dooty Bags “ in the bucket. They are light weight and double ziploc shut. My wife uses is for #1 & 2, she loves it and has made all the difference for her....and no complaints from her.I use it for #2 only if no outhouse, privy or toilet of some type not available. We put the full ones in a drum liner in the trasheroo until we get to gas station or garbage can. If your a dude and have to pee grab a tree or tire. Anything else it’s the Lugaloo.
I hope everything comes out ok!

F.S.Overland

Rank 0

Contributor I

Georgia
We use a “Lug-a-loo” which is a 5 gal bucket with a toilet seat on it with “Double Dooty Bags “ in the bucket. They are light weight and double ziploc shut. My wife uses is for #1 & 2, she loves it and has made all the difference for her....and no complaints from her.I use it for #2 only if no outhouse, privy or toilet of some type not available. We put the full ones in a drum liner in the trasheroo until we get to gas station or garbage can. If your a dude and have to pee grab a tree or tire. Anything else it’s the Lugaloo.
I hope everything comes out ok!
Pretty much the same here, Walmart sells the seat/lids that clip on to any 5gallon bucket for dirt cheap. If you want to save money on the bags and stuff we just use heavy duty trash bags and keep a jug of kitty liter on hand.

Kyle & Kari Frink

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

San Diego, California
Member #

We have thought about getting one of those portable toilet seats that basically goes on a bucket with a bag but having to take that with you is kinda gross even with a Trasharoo so we just do the old dig a decent depth hole large enough for your poop and do your business using biodegradable wipes and cover the hole with the dirt you dug up and call it a day just don't dig up any grass/roots/ plants and such. Find a spot of uncovered dirt or sand.

Reactions: HeliSniper

Gary Stevens

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Reseda California
Member #

Remove shovel from roof rack
Grab toilet paper, a plastic bag (ziploc works best or a grocery bag will do), and travel bottle of hand sanitizer
Walk to a secluded place with shovel
Dig a 12" deep hole with shovel (at least 200' away from any rivers or lakes)
Spike shovel down into the ground in front of the hole (you'll read why later)
Pull pants down
Squat over hole while holding onto spiked shovel for balance (see - this is why you spiked the shovel)
-poop-
-wipe-
Place toilet paper (I really prefer baby wipes to be honest) in plastic bag
Tie up plastic bag
Pull pants up
Remove shovel from ground
Use shovel to scoop dirt and fill in hole
Use hand sanitizer to clean hands
Return shovel to roof rack
Stow plastic waste bag in Trasharoo, or some form of waste compartment on/in your vehicle (to be dumped later)
Stow toilet paper and hand sanitizer

James
All of the above is 100 % right, BUT just get one of these to make you life much easier, now bring a book, your dog and take your time

upload_2018-10-18_21-56-20.png

JimBill

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

San Benito County, CA, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Madison
Member #

He came sliding in just in front of the Porta-Pottie, jumps out, flings the door open, and the poop pyramid (according to him) was unbelievable. He said the last person that put the "Cap Stone" on that pyramid was truly talented and must of had uncanny balance.
That's exactly why on our last Death Valley trip we decided NOT to camp at Eureka Dunes. Finding that, and not a bush in sight, the ladies on the trip said keep going.

Williamdavis22915

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Atlanta, Cobb County, Georgia, United States
First Name
William
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Again, sorry for the bluntness of the topic but I would like to know what to do with human excrement:

1. Pack it out in a plastic bag until;
a. you find the first camp ground trash can?
b. you get to town and find a dumpster?
c. something else.....​
2. Dig a hole and:
a. put the bag and waste in the hole?
b. just the human waste in the hole and pack the plastic bag out?
c. just poop in the hole?
d. something else?​

Just looking for what is considered the "right thing to do".
Dig a hole

shansonpac

Rank V

Traveler III

Bakersfield, CA, USA
First Name
Stephen
Last Name
Hanson
Member #

Again, sorry for the bluntness of the topic but I would like to know what to do with human excrement:

1. Pack it out in a plastic bag until;
a. you find the first camp ground trash can?​
b. you get to town and find a dumpster?​
c. something else.....​
2. Dig a hole and:
a. put the bag and waste in the hole?​
b. just the human waste in the hole and pack the plastic bag out?​
c. just poop in the hole?​
d. something else?​

Just looking for what is considered the "right thing to do".
I have a small cassette toilet. Leaving ANY waste in the wild is becoming a major problem at many heavily traveled places. Pack it in and pack it out.

OcoeeG

Rank II

Enthusiast III

SE TN
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Gee
Thanks for starting this thread. This has been on my mind.
Historically I have been a hole pooper. But I tend to agree there are too many people out there pooping poorly and I do not want to be a part of it. Maybe on a backpacking trip in the middle of nowhere but even in dispersed camp spots I see it being a problem that is just getting worse. If you have a trailer or a truck there is no reason not to carry something like this. Heck, I imagine my wife and 10 yo would be more comfortable pooping like this than in a stinky fly ridden pit toilet. Will be following to find a solution that suits our needs.

Advocate I

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Wade
Last Name
Jackman
Member #

We have a little Cleanwaste toilet with the bags. Packs down nice and small. No one seems to ever dig cat holes deep enough. Pretty much every established campsite I've been to in CO has some evidence of human waste. I usually clean it up but man, theres been some bad ones. We bolted a frontrunner box to the roof rack, all the trash and stinky stuff goes in there so we dont have to keep it in the cab or camper.

Reactions: shansonpac