Camp Poop (sorry for the bluntness but I want to know)

• HTML tutorial

OBB

Rank VII

Pioneer II

El Dorado Hills, El Dorado County, California, United States
First Name
Frank
Last Name
Speck
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1FMS
Again, sorry for the bluntness of the topic but I would like to know what to do with human excrement:

1. Pack it out in a plastic bag until;
a. you find the first camp ground trash can?
b. you get to town and find a dumpster?
c. something else.....​
2. Dig a hole and:
a. put the bag and waste in the hole?
b. just the human waste in the hole and pack the plastic bag out?
c. just poop in the hole?
d. something else?​

Just looking for what is considered the "right thing to do".
I have two trash bags. Recycling and regular. I do in the regular the human waste, which is in two plastic bags for itself.

If you want to go a step further, buy a dry bag and put the plastic bags with human waste inside there.

I do not recommend to put any kind of waste in a hole. If it's a more regular visited spot, soon people dig into the trash. Also animals, especially dogs, digging it up.

Take all with you and dump it in a dumpster.

Being in bear country, I do my rear tire trash bag insight of the car overnight, or if already filled with nasty stuff, I hang it up in a tree.

Reactions: HeliSniper

Nickel

Rank III

Pathfinder II

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Jones
Member #

I picked this up a few weeks ago and just used it over two nights in the San Bernadino mountains. Worked great. I have a lugable loo as well and like this much better due to its length.

Horrible ad photo. What guy in a tie is using an outdoor potty while camping?

Hammer Time

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Los Angeles
First Name
H
Last Name
T
Member #

I picked this up a few weeks ago and just used it over two nights in the San Bernadino mountains. Worked great. I have a lugable loo as well and like this much better due to its length.

Horrible ad photo. What guy in a tie is using an outdoor potty while camping?

I'm not getting a picture. Do you have a link or name of the product?

RJ Howell

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

My first thought was too tall and how to stow, but it collapses! That's a plus!

We've become used to our cassette toilet as it's low profile and easy to pul out and use. Push comes to shove, it's contains a few nights of pee. We Wag-Bag even in the cassette for poo. So for us, as we do it, this doesn't work as well.

May for others though! I do like it folds down to stow away!

RJ Howell

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

When I post a link it shows the picture and the picture is hyperlinked. Search Amazon for "Pankay Portable Toilet".
I got it, the other dude seemed not to. Actually your post didn't link for me either.. I had to search outside.. as I think he did.. Sorry, just trying to help out here..

Moebius01

Rank V

Advocate I

TN, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Jowers
Member #

My first thought was too tall and how to stow, but it collapses! That's a plus!

We've become used to our cassette toilet as it's low profile and easy to pul out and use. Push comes to shove, it's contains a few nights of pee. We Wag-Bag even in the cassette for poo. So for us, as we do it, this doesn't work as well.

May for others though! I do like it folds down to stow away!
I got one of the collapsible ones to try from Amazon Vine. Overall, pretty happy with it compared to the bucket that is the luggable loo. Doesn't take up much space, easy to slide vertically into a little gap. The design is rather interesting, like the old collapsible cup on steroids, with each layer having little hooks into the layer above. Stability is a little interesting. I'm sitting at around 300lb and it does hold me without any issue. However, it just feels like it might collapse on me at any second. Don't get me wrong, it hasn't so far, and when I was first testing I was even wiggling around a bit to see if it would fail before I used it camping, but it held solid.

About the only plus I give the bucket version is that I have a net bag with all of the waste bags (I like Restop2) for storage. So when we're heading out, I would just toss the whole bag into the bucket and go. Now I have to figure out a new place, or just pack a set number when we're loading up.

Nickel

Rank III

Pathfinder II

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Jones
Member #

About the only plus I give the bucket version is that I have a net bag with all of the waste bags (I like Restop2) for storage. So when we're heading out, I would just toss the whole bag into the bucket and go. Now I have to figure out a new place, or just pack a set number when we're loading up.
I agree on this being an advantage to the bucket but the larger collapsible one is just so darn more comfortable. I dreaded using the Luggable-Loo. I still bring the Loo and store TP, the bags, and some extra waste powder packets in it. Then I set it next to the collapsible one to act as a little side table (hey, I'm not that quick to get the plumbing going!)

I then use the Loo to pack out the waste bags as another layer of containment in the event of a spill (knock on wood hasn't happened!)

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

I got one of the collapsible ones to try from Amazon Vine. Overall, pretty happy with it compared to the bucket that is the luggable loo. Doesn't take up much space, easy to slide vertically into a little gap. The design is rather interesting, like the old collapsible cup on steroids, with each layer having little hooks into the layer above. Stability is a little interesting. I'm sitting at around 300lb and it does hold me without any issue. However, it just feels like it might collapse on me at any second. Don't get me wrong, it hasn't so far, and when I was first testing I was even wiggling around a bit to see if it would fail before I used it camping, but it held solid.

When I look at one of those my imagination instantly leaps to its failure under load and the subsequent effects, LOL I just can't get past it.

Moebius01

Rank V

Advocate I

TN, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Jowers
Member #

When I look at one of those my imagination instantly leaps to its failure under load and the subsequent effects, LOL I just can't get past it.
First time I sat on it (fully clothed with no bag in or anything mind you) my first thoughts went to the same place. That's why I ended up bouncing around and twisting a bit trying to see if I could trigger a collapse when I didn't have to worry about the consequences.

MooreAdventures

Rank VII

Inventor III

Bono, Arkansas, United States
First Name
Stephen
Last Name
Moore
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WSAB981
Service Branch
Army
Again, sorry for the bluntness of the topic but I would like to know what to do with human excrement:

c. something else.....​
2. Dig a hole and:
d. something else?​

We have bucket liners or bags from the grocery store we use for #2 and TP then have a trash bag for just bathroom stuff lol we use a portable toilet and a pop up tent for our primitive bathroom lol

MooreAdventures

Rank VII

Inventor III

Bono, Arkansas, United States
First Name
Stephen
Last Name
Moore
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WSAB981
Service Branch
Army

c. something else.....​
2. Dig a hole and:
d. something else?​

Good ole trail poop lol

Attachments

OBB

Rank VII

Pioneer II

First Name
Frank
Last Name
Speck
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1FMS
4th or 5th vote for pett toilet. Pack it in, pack it out.. We go nowhere without ours. Be cautious though on the high desert, Jackrabbits love to watch.. LOL .
When we are backpacking? We try our best to hit the plastic bag, not really , we carry a small shovel and dig deep. The baby wipes are carried out..
Pet toilet?!? That's interesting. I use cat litter which I do in the bag before doing my business.
Do you have a reference on what pet toilet system you use? Link to Amazon, eBay, the manufacturer, etc.?

Hammer Time

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Los Angeles
First Name
H
Last Name
T
Member #

Just started using a composting toilet, the Trelino. Trelino® | Portable Composting Toilet | Made in Germany

A bit on the expensive side but worth it to us. We use coconut coir from Amazon for the drying/absorbing media and it works quite well to absorb the moisture from the poop side. As with any composting toilet, the first step is to separate the poop from the urine and to then dry out the poop to start the composting process. We add some used coffee grounds to the coir to eliminate the odors completely.

There have been some reports that the bags that Trelino supplies (they're compostable) break down too soon for some users. They suggest that the bags will last 2-3 weeks before they start to break down, but it has to do with how much moisture is in the environment. The higher the humidity, the sooner breakdown will begin. To avoid the possiblity of a bag breaking and making a mess, we line the bag first with a heavy duty garbage bag. If there's the slightest bit of doubt that the compostable bag is not holding its strength, then we dump the outer plastic bag and the inner bag into the garbage. But if it's solid, the compostable bag goes into our composter for the final stages of breakdown. To be accurate, it's not a composting toilet. It just starts the process.

As with any of these devices, the urine goes into a separate container from the poop. This is accomplished by a diverter that funnels the urine into the separate container. The top of this container contains a silicone flapper valve that allows the urine to enter the container but then closes to keep the odor from escaping. This container can be emptied into any toilet that you come across in your travels. It can also be diluted and spread on your lawn/garden where it will act as a high nitrogen fertilizer. Spread it before watering and there won't be any odor.

The toilet is very light, our model is the "Evo M," the middle height one, and it's about 10 pounds, loaded with coir and grounds, and ready for use.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Pet toilet?!? That's interesting. I use cat litter which I do in the bag before doing my business.
Do you have a reference on what pet toilet system you use? Link to Amazon, eBay, the manufacturer, etc.?
It is a brand name PETT, Cleanwaste is another brand name for the same thing.

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/the-pett-portable-environmental-toilet?hvarAID=shopping_googleproductextensions&ds_e=GOOGLE&ds_c=BPS|Shopping|PMax|Camping|General|NAud|NVol|NMT&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAiA7t6sBhAiEiwAsaieYi4ltEiePbH5_XEKg7o4NGU2EifpungS65FftU2EKIa1B2g5WHNFOhoCrmcQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

OBB

Rank VII

Pioneer II

First Name
Frank
Last Name
Speck
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1FMS
It is a brand name PETT, Cleanwaste is another brand name for the same thing.

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/the-pett-portable-environmental-toilet?hvarAID=shopping_googleproductextensions&ds_e=GOOGLE&ds_c=BPS|Shopping|PMax|Camping|General|NAud|NVol|NMT&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAiA7t6sBhAiEiwAsaieYi4ltEiePbH5_XEKg7o4NGU2EifpungS65FftU2EKIa1B2g5WHNFOhoCrmcQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
Oh, now I get it. Heard bad things about this one because it has three instead of four legs or four side walls. People fall in their own....

There is a cool foldable one manufactured in Australia. More on the pricey side. There is a member of OB in El Dorado Hills, CA who distributes them with member discount.

Recently BOXIO came out with a cool concept: Toilet MAX+ Starter Kit, https://a.co/d/8PC1ya8

Even cheaper is this one that I use since three years: BLIKA Portable Toilet for Camping, 400LBS Weight Capacity Portable Camping Toilet, Folding Toilet, Stainless Steel Portable Toilet Seat, Portable Toilet Travel Toilet Car Toilet https://a.co/d/70Bc8P6

Nickel

Rank III

Pathfinder II

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Jones
Member #

I think
Good ole trail poop lol
I think I have that same pop-up for the potty/shower. Was like $20. Folds up easily, a bit flimsy in even the lightest wind unless you use the tie downs with anchors. Honestly my last 3 remote trips I have been the only one around and I just shower/poop in the open and haven't had to use the pop-up.