Camp Poop (sorry for the bluntness but I want to know)

• HTML tutorial

HeliSniper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Dallas, Texas
First Name
Brad
Last Name
S
Member #

Again, sorry for the bluntness of the topic but I would like to know what to do with human excrement:

1. Pack it out in a plastic bag until;
a. you find the first camp ground trash can?
b. you get to town and find a dumpster?
c. something else.....​
2. Dig a hole and:
a. put the bag and waste in the hole?
b. just the human waste in the hole and pack the plastic bag out?
c. just poop in the hole?
d. something else?​

Just looking for what is considered the "right thing to do".

James Deaton

Rank V

Pathfinder I

Remove shovel from roof rack
Grab toilet paper, a plastic bag (ziploc works best or a grocery bag will do), and travel bottle of hand sanitizer
Walk to a secluded place with shovel
Dig a 12" deep hole with shovel (at least 200' away from any rivers or lakes)
Spike shovel down into the ground in front of the hole (you'll read why later)
Pull pants down
Squat over hole while holding onto spiked shovel for balance (see - this is why you spiked the shovel)
-poop-
-wipe-
Place toilet paper (I really prefer baby wipes to be honest) in plastic bag
Tie up plastic bag
Pull pants up
Remove shovel from ground
Use shovel to scoop dirt and fill in hole
Use hand sanitizer to clean hands
Return shovel to roof rack
Stow plastic waste bag in Trasharoo, or some form of waste compartment on/in your vehicle (to be dumped later)
Stow toilet paper and hand sanitizer

James

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Here's another thread, three pages long, with all sorts of replies on this topic: Toilet Time - lots of ideas and do's and don'ts there.

Also interesting is @Plisken 's thread Wisdom from the River - who's first post is about this same subject and includes a Groover I'd not known about before.

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Cat holes are becoming less and less popular or allowed some places, as you'll see in the other thread. Too many places getting too many people all doing the same thing too many times and it ends up being more of a problem than before. I've been places eight miles away from the nearest living soul and discovered cat holes, usually improperly done, and toilet paper. Disappointing.

HeliSniper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Dallas, Texas
First Name
Brad
Last Name
S
Member #

I pack it out... I use Restop bags... self contained poop and pee bags... I throw everything in my trasharroo in a separate trash bag and throw it away when I get home
I googled the Restop Bags and those things are very cool, they seal with enzymes so they cannot leak, that's cool stuff right there..... I'm thinking a couple of cases of their #2 bags and some "Dude Wipes" from Amazon and I'll be good for a while. Thanks for all the feedback!!

Reactions: Chadlyb and Ditch

HeliSniper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Dallas, Texas
First Name
Brad
Last Name
S
Member #

Cat holes are becoming less and less popular or allowed some places, as you'll see in the other thread. Too many places getting too many people all doing the same thing too many times and it ends up being more of a problem than before. I've been places eight miles away from the nearest living soul and discovered cat holes, usually improperly done, and toilet paper. Disappointing.
I heard a story about a guy that was in his Jeep in the desert and had take a dump in the worst way. Of all things, he sees a Porta-Crapper in the distance, imagine that, in the middle of nowhere and there is a Porta-John. So he speeds to it, the urge getting stronger the closer he got. He came sliding in just in front of the Porta-Pottie, jumps out, flings the door open, and the poop pyramid (according to him) was unbelievable. He said the last person that put the "Cap Stone" on that pyramid was truly talented and must of had uncanny balance. The urge still twisting his stomach he ran around back where he just busted out laughing, he said everywhere you look were landmines or poop-mines, he said he danced through them for what seemed like 100 yards before he found his own place to leave his mark in the desert. It goes to show you how many people are really out and about these days. We all need to do our part to keep things clean.

Last edited:

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
PETT toilet, with our without a shelter, depends on the audience and the need for privacy...

Get the bags, double bag it, pack it out!

Cat holes are no way to do it these days, uncomfortable, messy, likely to have an, err, uh, accident. and stuffing paper into a plastic bag is not desirable for me.
And, like Road said, too many people out there pooping now. We have to leave it nice for the next generations.

I spent 45 minutes cleaning up around the corner from my spot in Lone Pine, what a mess of toilet paper and human waste. :poutingcat:

...my $0.02

Dan.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
I second the PETT toilet they work great. Also one of our members sells a toilet called the Thunder Box from Australia very heavy duty and compact

Rocksylvania

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Hatfield, Pennsylvania
First Name
Jason
Last Name
M
Member #

I use the cleanwaste go anywhere portable toilet. Uses a bag. Instead of their expensive cleanwaste bags I use a 13 gal trash bag. Fits great. Drop in a scoop of happy campers holding tank treatment to gel any liquids and kill the smell.

Tried the type on eBay that contains water and all, too heavy/ awkward/ hard to clean.

Cort

Rank VI
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Grand Rapids
First Name
Cort
Last Name
Beard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD8GQL
Another vote for the pett cleanwaste system, it’s been used by my family for a couple years.

Reactions: HeliSniper and DMS1

Shaggy

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

US
Member #

I've always wondered if anyone ever screwed up and pooped in the PETT mesh liner!

Last edited:
Reactions: HeliSniper

JDGreens

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Englewood Co.
Member #

We bought a porta-Potty for our off road camper I'm building. There are several places you have to pack out. Moab/Ouray areas come to mind. So I made a make shift shelter that I can pull out while we are wheeling for my wife and I. We also have a nice shower tent we are going to use when we set-up camp.

The other reason I really don't want to do cat-holes is that Tick's are something I don't want to invite into the equation for me and my wife.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-5-3-Gallon-Travel-Outdoor-Camping-Boat-Portable-Toilet-Potty-Commode-US-/372248210266?hash=item56abb8eb5a
With the use of enzyme packets dumping this is really not a bad people make it out to be.
The one thing you need to do it slightly crack the gates to relieve pressure before using each time.

Now my wife doesn't mind going off grid. It will actually work well inside out tent too, so at night we don't have to go outside.

amateurhour

Rank III

Advocate II

I don't know if it's different in desert climates, but in the dense forest filled Southeast US we typically just dig a hole, poop in it, use bio degradable toilet paper, and fill in the hole.

I've started using little enzyme packets just to help out mother nature more.

Reactions: HeliSniper

ArkansasDon

Rank V
Launch Member

Member I

we use Ironman Bush toilet w\ 13 gal bio-degrade able trash bags & septic safe toilet paper when disperse camping. I've came across cat holes whether by fellow overlanders or hunters that wild animals dug up & scattered. I'm all about Leave No Trace. When we pull out of camp & heading for home, we double bag with bio-degrade able 13 gal. trash bags & use Feline Pine cat litter (bio-degrade able) to help clump up the waste & depose of the bag in our trashroo (which is lined with a 55gal contractor trash bag). Once home it dump it into our regular trash for pick up by the garbage truck.
Human waste and can be safely disposed of in regular trash.
035.JPG

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
4th or 5th vote for pett toilet. Pack it in, pack it out.. We go nowhere without ours. Be cautious though on the high desert, Jackrabbits love to watch.. LOL .
When we are backpacking? We try our best to hit the plastic bag, not really , we carry a small shovel and dig deep. The baby wipes are carried out..

Reactions: HeliSniper and DMS1