Fellow Jeeper

Rank V

Influencer II

Latrobe Pa
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Bobincheck
From this weekend at Assateague Island National Park. Camped and drove the beach 12 miles from the MD side to the VA border with @DRJ @NovaBound @JRElaxED @Zombie and others. Assateague is known for its wild horses, which we saw plenty of!

View attachment 91683

View attachment 91684

View attachment 91685

View attachment 91687

View attachment 91688

View attachment 91690
Where did you guys get on the beach at? Ive been interested in doing this trip for about a year now.

Reactions: sabjku

DRJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Springfield, VA
Member #

Where did you guys get on the beach at? Ive been interested in doing this trip for about a year now.
You want to enter the island from the Maryland side. The VA side is Chincoteague and is limited in terms of driveable beach.

Look up Assateague Island National Seashore OSV and it will give you all of the details you need from a map, directions, and pricing.

Reactions: sabjku and Hafaday

MaximusPrime

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Charlotte, NC, USA
Member #

From this weekend at Assateague Island National Park. Camped and drove the beach 12 miles from the MD side to the VA border with @DRJ @NovaBound @JRElaxED @Zombie and others. Assateague is known for its wild horses, which we saw plenty of!
Very cool! I've never been up there, but I think I'm going to put it on the list for this summer after seeing your pics.

Reactions: sabjku and Hafaday

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM

View attachment 91683

View attachment 91684

View attachment 91685

View attachment 91687

View attachment 91688

View attachment 91690
Nice picks. Looked like you had a fun time. It's been decades since I've been there. Glad to see it's still a place to go.

Reactions: sabjku

RiverJon

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Valley Forge, PA, USA
Member #

New to the forum thanks to an awesome group of fellow overlanders we met up with down in Assategue Island. Down there to camping and on our way into the park we happened to meet Tom and Bill who were out zombie hunting for the weekend. The next day we saw them with Steve, Jon, Chris and a whole group of outfitted Jeeps and Toyotas on the beach. Great time driving the beach, exploring the island and sharing war stories around the fire!

Will post some pics but it sounds like as a newbie I may need to send a few posts before doing more.

sabjku

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Alexandria, VA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Beh
Member #

New to the forum thanks to an awesome group of fellow overlanders we met up with down in Assategue Island. Down there to camping and on our way into the park we happened to meet Tom and Bill who were out zombie hunting for the weekend. The next day we saw them with Steve, Jon, Chris and a whole group of outfitted Jeeps and Toyotas on the beach. Great time driving the beach, exploring the island and sharing war stories around the fire!

Will post some pics but it sounds like as a newbie I may need to send a few posts before doing more.
Hey Jon! Glad to see you joined OB! It was definitely a great time over at Assateague! Great people and fun times! Loved the Ursa Minor setup too!

Matt L.

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Midland, TX
Member #

How is the NMBDR technical-wise? Handled easily with a full size truck?
No problem at all. Keep in mind that I only did the portion from Del City to Reserve. I have no reason to think the rest would be much more difficult. Outside Reserve, on 180, we did have to turn around because the trail had not been cleared from the winter storms. I think it is a little too early to do the Northern portion until crews have had a chance to clear the fallen trees. Chloride Canyon was really my biggest concern but it was not difficult and it was amazing. I'll write up a trip report soon so keep watch for that if you are interested.

Reactions: HappyOurOverlanding

Jkk

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Georgia
No problem at all. Keep in mind that I only did the portion from Del City to Reserve. I have no reason to think the rest would be much more difficult. Outside Reserve, on 180, we did have to turn around because the trail had not been cleared from the winter storms. I think it is a little too early to do the Northern portion until crews have had a chance to clear the fallen trees. Chloride Canyon was really my biggest concern but it was not difficult and it was amazing. I'll write up a trip report soon so keep watch for that if you are interested.
Gotcha, perfect! I do appreciate it and am staying tuned

Reactions: Matt L.

DRJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Springfield, VA
Member #

Welcome Jon! Hope you can join us for other trips in the future.

Ricky-Bobbi

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Colorado Springs, CO, USA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Arguello
Member #

Possibly my last winter camping trip of the year. Spring is in the air, and summer soon to follow. Snow is melting flowers blooming and my excitement grows. Can’t wait for my next weekend off to get out and explore. This trip was by Lake Tarryall east of Wilkerson pass in Colorado. Nothing like waking up to 6 inches of fresh powder.

Attachments