Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

Just bring a case of Techron, and a spare fuel filter to Mexico, for gas engines.

Likely didn't burn because it was mostly water.
The days of crappy gas in Mexico are gone. Gas is sold by Chevron, BP, VP Racing Fule and plenty of other. Because of fewer additives my truck gets better mileage than in CA.

I drive a 2500 long bed 4X4 with lockers, gas powered. It gets me most everywhere I want to go. I am going to drive the Pan American taking 6 or 7 years. The two extra feet of living space out weights all other considerations. it goes to Mexico almost every month. It is currently set up to carry my toys, when I go to a pop top, I’ll be trading off mobility for comfort and softer living. Everything is a trade off.

If you are thinking of living on the road you might look up work campers. There is plenty of temp work and free living out there.

LostWoods

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
lastname
Member #

I mean at the right price and with the ability/desire to put in work, almost anything can be worth it. I wouldn't say that's high mileage for a Mog but any of them are going to require some work.

LostWoods

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
lastname
Member #

It all depends. They're not common nor new so there's no telling what you're getting. IMO if you don't have fairly deep pockets for shop work or the skill to work on one, I'd steer clear.

Sailmike

Rank 0

Traveler I

Northridge
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Levin
That’s what I thought. Thanks!

Now, would you guys mind SHOWING me a photo or a link of a truck you think will work for me please. I want to keep my options somewhat broad. I’m willing to explore others besides the F250/350.

Also, I’ll need some links to sales pages for me to browse for the truck.Im not familiar with them. I don’t know where to look. Thanks!

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

I would be looking at any 3/4 or 1 ton truck 4x4 with lockers. You figure the bed and cab size. From 2010 or later. I do know of a car guy. PM me if you want more info. Look at full size truck thread for builds.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
100,000 miles on a city truck that never sees the highway, is a ton of use. I'll never buy another used DOT truck ever again.

I've never seen a Mog on the highway anywhere. Farm and ranch trucks. Saw one used as a bus in the islands. I'd rather have a low mileage Lmtv.

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
100,000 miles on a city truck that never sees the highway, is a ton of use. I'll never buy another used DOT truck ever again.

I've never seen a Mog on the highway anywhere. Farm and ranch trucks. Saw one used as a bus in the islands. I'd rather have a low mileage Lmtv.
I’ve seen half a dozen Unimogs in various bits of the world, over the last couple of decades. A neighbour had one at one point - highly capable but tall, slow, and hardly the best for the highway in terms of comfort. No idea what one should cost, primarily since we’d go for an Iveco if we were going for a vehicle in that general category.

Sailmike

Rank 0

Traveler I

Northridge
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Levin
I’ve seen half a dozen Unimogs in various bits of the world, over the last couple of decades. A neighbour had one at one point - highly capable but tall, slow, and hardly the best for the highway in terms of comfort. No idea what one should cost, primarily since we’d go for an Iveco if we were going for a vehicle in that general category.
I don’t know anything about Iveco. I’d like more information on it please. Maybe a link?

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Check out Acela

Total composites

Grigsby, is a bit less expensive than Acela:

LostWoods

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
lastname
Member #

Maybe I'm missing something here but unless OP has the carpentry and fiberglass skills to convert one into a camper, these Unimog/Iveco/Acela suggestions aren't going to go very far on $40k. OP is solidly in the full size truck market and might be able to stretch it into a medium truck (F-450 or something) if space isn't too tight to get the truck where they want to.

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
Maybe I'm missing something here but unless OP has the carpentry and fiberglass skills to convert one into a camper, these Unimog/Iveco/Acela suggestions aren't going to go very far on $40k. OP is solidly in the full size truck market and might be able to stretch it into a medium truck (F-450 or something) if space isn't too tight to get the truck where they want to.
Isn’t terminology fascinating? To me a full size truck (pickup) is a Hilux, an F150 is huge, and an F450 is gigantic. It’s all relative : )

LostWoods

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
lastname
Member #

Definitely places in the world that even a Hilux to too big to maneuver. In the US it's all by GVWR and not physical size so light is up to around 10,000 lbs, medium up to 26,000 lbs, and heavy up to 33,000 lbs at which point you're into tractor trailer territory. Full-size typically means F-150 through F-350 sizing with mid-size being the Tacoma and modern Hilux which both used to be compacts 15 years ago.

So yeah... It's a little convoluted on terminology.

Reactions: Alanymarce

Sailmike

Rank 0

Traveler I

Northridge
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Levin
I do have some carpentry and fiberglass/carbon fiber skills. I plan to experiment a little with making foam and fiberglass and foam and carbon fiber sandwich panels. I already have some vacuum bagging equipment. The hard part for me is getting around the curved edges. Is it better to use two sheets of 5-6 ounce glass/carbon or one sheet of 10 ounce glass/carbon?

So, what are the best websites to do my truck shopping?