Sailmike

Rank 0

Traveler I

Northridge
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Levin
I'm planning to buy a vehicle to build an overland camper on. I don't plan to go overlanding just for the sake of overlanding. It's just that I'm always staying in free camp sites and the drive to them is always over rough dirt roads. For the last several years I've been driving a borrowed 2008 Honda CRV AWD for my car camping trips across the US and Canada. I currently own a 1994 Ford Ranger 4 x 4, but it's in really bad shape. It needs a new transmission and lots of other engine work, plus the 4 x 4 transfer case doesn't work. I think the transfer case is just dry from lack of use. I suppose I could get it fixed up and use this for an overlanding rig, but it'd be rather small and tight for me. The vehicle I'd like to get is the Ford F350 Supercrew with 8' bed. I'm wondering if this would be too long for overlanding? Also, do you guys have any suggestions on where to find the base vehicle? I know from the little bit I've read that it's possible to find vehicles partly built for overlanding. I don't have much money so I'm planning to spend the next 7-8 years building the camper portion. Also, I hate the smell of diesel so gas engines only for me. The ultimate rig for me would be something like the Earthroamers. I'm exploring a variety of options right now. I could settle for just putting a simple camper shell on the F350 if all other options are too expensive for my budget. Would I still need a torsion free subframe for this? Your thoughts please!

Thank you!

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I'm planning to buy a vehicle to build an overland camper on. I don't plan to go overlanding just for the sake of overlanding. It's just that I'm always staying in free camp sites and the drive to them is always over rough dirt roads. For the last several years I've been driving a borrowed 2008 Honda CRV AWD for my car camping trips across the US and Canada. I currently own a 1994 Ford Ranger 4 x 4, but it's in really bad shape. It needs a new transmission and lots of other engine work, plus the 4 x 4 transfer case doesn't work. I think the transfer case is just dry from lack of use. I suppose I could get it fixed up and use this for an overlanding rig, but it'd be rather small and tight for me. The vehicle I'd like to get is the Ford F350 Supercrew with 8' bed. I'm wondering if this would be too long for overlanding? Also, do you guys have any suggestions on where to find the base vehicle? I know from the little bit I've read that it's possible to find vehicles partly built for overlanding. I don't have much money so I'm planning to spend the next 7-8 years building the camper portion. Also, I hate the smell of diesel so gas engines only for me. The ultimate rig for me would be something like the Earthroamers. I'm exploring a variety of options right now. I could settle for just putting a simple camper shell on the F350 if all other options are too expensive for my budget. Would I still need a torsion free subframe for this? Your thoughts please!

Thank you!
Personal input... my old 2000 Dodge Ram 2500 Extra cab with a 6.5’ bed is about as large as I would want to go. It was almost too big, hence I bought the Bronco.

Reactions: Tetron

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

For your use, I'd say any 3/4 tom 4x4 will work, completely stock.
Gas engine keeps the buy in low. Can you drive a standard transmission or do you need an automatic? And do you need a 4 door cab? Or will a regular cab work.

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

This is a big question. What do you plan to do? I have a Ram 2500, 4 doos 8ft bed 4x4 with a shell and overhead rack. I shopped the auctions for months to find it and built it from there. Gas 3/4 and 1 ton trucks are hard to find. I go where I want but don’t wheel it hard. Basket ball sized rocks is as big as I go, no problem with desert pin stripes. Stock truck will do what you are doing now. If you have cash for the purchase I can put you in touch with my dealer.

Sailmike

Rank 0

Traveler I

Northridge
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Levin
I plan to live in the vehicle as I travel across the US, Canada, and if I can make it work, the world. Travel will be solo, so the back seat of a four door could be ripped out and replaced with shelves. I may try some of the overlanding routes sometime. The truck will need to be an automatic. I don’t have the money for it yet, but hope to have it soon.

rgallant

Rank III

Advocate I

British Columbia
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gallant
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VE7REJ
Service Branch
RCAC (Reserve) 75-00
@Sailmike were you are matters for these discussions US, Canada or other. Costs are radically different, generally higher, in Canada as vs to the US.

Next how serious are you about the world, and you need to have a very serious think about that. What will work wonderfully in the US and Canada, Ford Gm, Dodge could be a parts nightmare in the rest of the world. Parts may have to shipped in from North America, local shops may not have any expertise etc.

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
@Sailmike were you are matters for these discussions US, Canada or other. Costs are radically different, generally higher, in Canada as vs to the US.

Next how serious are you about the world, and you need to have a very serious think about that. What will work wonderfully in the US and Canada, Ford Gm, Dodge could be a parts nightmare in the rest of the world. Parts may have to shipped in from North America, local shops may not have any expertise etc.
...and in some countries importing spares is illegal - you must buy from local concessionaires, which means that if the vehicle is not sold locally there may not be any, and if there are, and the specific model is not sold locally you may have to wait a couple of months for the parts to be shipped in legally. I suggest buying something sold in most places in the world - Land Cruiser, Patrol, Montero (if you want an "SUV") or Hilux, Ranger if you want a pickup. Furthermore, there are challenges with vehicles like F350s simply because they're too big for narrow tracks, low hanging trees, narrow city streets, etc...

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

He says USA and Canada, to start. I have driven to Panama without problems finding parts. I have 3 friends that drove the Pan American With 3/4 ton trucks without problems finding parts. Rebuilt diffs. replace axels, break assembly’s. A Hilux parts are no go in the USA. He wants a full sized truck, my god they drive unimogs around the world. Those of us that have full sized trucks understand the limits and drive accordingly.

Sailmike

Rank 0

Traveler I

Northridge
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Levin
I was just looking at the EarthRoamers and I see that they are built on Ford F550's and designed for global travel. If I was to go visit London or Paris, for example, could I just park somewhere outside city limits and take some other transportation to the sights? My plans are to visit the national parks of various countries not the cities. There are some sights I'd like to see in some European cities such as the Anne Frank House in Amsterdam and the Eiffel Tower in Paris, but otherwise it's all parks for me.

I plan to take some automotive repair courses so I can do my own maintenance to keep al systems running smoothly. There are Ford dealerships in many places around the world. Couldn't I look for a dealership and plan my trips around planned maintenance at one of those places?

Or, would the Ranger I have now be the best option? Can you suggest another vehicle with gas engine that might fit my plans better? Links? If I got the F350 Supercrew with 8' bed, I would build the camper as small as possible.

Thanks!

Reactions: MazeVX

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I was just looking at the EarthRoamers and I see that they are built on Ford F550's and designed for global travel. If I was to go visit London or Paris, for example, could I just park somewhere outside city limits and take some other transportation to the sights? My plans are to visit the national parks of various countries not the cities. There are some sights I'd like to see in some European cities such as the Anne Frank House in Amsterdam and the Eiffel Tower in Paris, but otherwise it's all parks for me.

I plan to take some automotive repair courses so I can do my own maintenance to keep al systems running smoothly. There are Ford dealerships in many places around the world. Couldn't I look for a dealership and plan my trips around planned maintenance at one of those places?

Or, would the Ranger I have now be the best option? Can you suggest another vehicle with gas engine that might fit my plans better? Links? If I got the F350 Supercrew with 8' bed, I would build the camper as small as possible.

Thanks!
My Old Ram 2500 is about the size of the F-350 you propose (6.5 bed instead of ait was an all around good rig... just too heavy for deep snow, which is where I like to be. I lived out of the back for almost a year comfortably.

I don’t think I would have wanted an 8’ bed... I was able to have 25 gallons of onboard water, heat, kitchen, and 3500 kw generator to operate my microwave and top off house batteries when I was parked for several days.

Attachments

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Don’t get me wrong, here in North America I drive a gasoline powered vehicle. However, if I was planning on traveling the world, the gasser would go by the wayside and I’d be looking for a diesel powered truck . The smell? Modern Diesel engines do not stink of diesel. I drove 18 for 25 years and yes, I’d say pre-1990 or thereabouts the stench of diesel could sometimes be overwhelming. No longer. But why diesel? One word, range. The kind of vehicles you have mentioned with a gasoline engine will get, at best, 1/2 the fuel mileage of a Diesel engine. If an E350 diesel or a Dodge/Cummins is getting 14-16 mpg, you’ll get, if you’re lucky, 7-8 mpg with gasoline. If I were planning on world travel solo, I’d start out right from the beginning with an older 70 series manual shift , diesel powered Landcruiser. Why older? Because we can work on them and make them go. They have minimal electronic gizmology. Even the smallest most remote villages will have a resident that knows these vehicles. Maintained properly these vehicles are just breaking in at the 200,000 mile mark and are well known to be very reliable for up to a half million miles. Am I prejudiced? Yes, I own an 80 series gasser with 323,000 miles on it and do not hestitate driving it on our annual 10,000 mile tours of the western US. It’s only ever broken down one time and that was my own stupid fault because I purposely ignored a small leak in my heater core. Am I a fanboy? No, I’ve owned full-size American made pick ups, and more than a couple of Jeeps. I do know what works for me, and works well for me.

Sailmike

Rank 0

Traveler I

Northridge
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Levin
My Old Ram 2500 is about the size of the F-350 you propose (6.5 bed instead of ait was an all around good rig... just too heavy for deep snow, which is where I like to be. I lived out of the back for almost a year comfortably.

I don’t think I would have wanted an 8’ bed... I was able to have 25 gallons of onboard water, heat, kitchen, and 3500 kw generator to operate my microwave and top off house batteries when I was parked for several days.
What you have there would be the most doable option for me. I've looked at many design ideas for that kind of camper. I would mock fit everything before buying them to see if everything can be worked in. The hard part would be preparing it for very cold weather if I was ever to get stuck someplace where it's -20 degrees out.

Are diesels more expensive to repair? You guys are starting to change my mind on diesels. Military surplus vehicles maybe? Where to buy them?

rgallant

Rank III

Advocate I

British Columbia
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gallant
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VE7REJ
Service Branch
RCAC (Reserve) 75-00
@Sailmike military surplus is a literal roll of the dice, those trucks are run hard really hard. You can get some nice ones but most need a lot of work.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
What you have there would be the most doable option for me. I've looked at many design ideas for that kind of camper. I would mock fit everything before buying them to see if everything can be worked in. The hard part would be preparing it for very cold weather if I was ever to get stuck someplace where it's -20 degrees out.

Are diesels more expensive to repair? You guys are starting to change my mind on diesels. Military surplus vehicles maybe? Where to buy them?
A 6.5’ bed is big enough for a queen mattress... with the tailgate up. I slept in the back in -10 weather and had to turn the heater off, remember your living in a smaller space.

As for a diesel rig, get a pre 2000 model Ford or Dodge (stay away from the GM diesels as the 6.2 and 6.5s had huge reliability issues in these older years). Fords are about the best as far as dependability over all, but the Cummins 24 valve in the Dodge is the most sought after engine being swapped into everything.

military surplus rigs are a surplus for a reason. While usually low mileage, they have been severely abused in their lifetime. Finding parts is hard enough in their own countries, let alone in outside countries. US Militar vehicles use a 24 volt system, so converting them over to 12 volt on everything but the starting system would need to be addressed.

What is your budget, it might help us give you better advice.

Sailmike

Rank 0

Traveler I

Northridge
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Levin
My budget will be around $35k to $40k. I won't know for a while. Then I can spend around $700-$800 a month for a next 7-8 years.

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

Diesel cost more to maintain but doesn’t need replacement for many more miles. I have friends that are in the 300k on theirs, it’s almost 2k every time it goes in.
For what you are describing you can get a very nice 3/4 or ton truck. I love my 8 ft bed my truck has gone everywhere I wanted it to.

Reactions: Billiebob

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Thanks!
If you plan to ship it around the world and see Europe, a full size quad cab with an 8' box will double yer budget. I'd never leave North America with anything North American full size on a budget.

Reactions: MOAK and Dilldog