Buying a Vehicle for Overlanding

• Hi Guest, you may choose a LIGHT or DARK theme that works best for you with the "Style Chooser" button at the bottom left on this page!
  • HTML tutorial

Sailmike

Rank 0

Contributor I

Northridge
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Levin
An LMTV is a bad ass rig. The Cat engine is very reliable, but very costly to repair if something goes wrong. The electrical system is way too complicated for what it really is... the push button transmission shifter is a common problem on these, as is the CTIS system (think when it fails your tires go flat), you need a CDL or farm endorsement to drive the rig because it has air brakes. And Lastly it’s to large to take down most Forrest service roads... this is all coming from a guy who spent 14 years driving and working on them. While it’s a great truck, it’s not a great Overlanding truck for most of the US.
Thank you. That’s the kind of answer I needed. All modern cars and trucks have complex electrical systems. I don’t think there’s any getting away from that, especially with self driving cars/trucks on the horizon. I’m wondering, if after working out major problems the first year or two of driving them, are they much more reliable from then on? Also, if the CTIS fails, isn’t it just a matter of looking for the air leak?

M Rose

US Northwest Region Director
Benefactor

Traveler II

La Grande, Oregon, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham Callsign
KJ7MFV
Thank you. That’s the kind of answer I needed. All modern cars and trucks have complex electrical systems. I don’t think there’s any getting away from that, especially with self driving cars/trucks on the horizon. I’m wondering, if after working out major problems the first year or two of driving them, are they much more reliable from then on? Also, if the CTIS fails, isn’t it just a matter of looking for the air leak?
If the CTIS system fails, it’s the controls... when I say overly complex... I mean more so than civilian vehicles... if the controller goes out it takes the whole system down with it... designed that way to be easier to fix in the military settings... unfortunately parts for this aren’t available to civilians... so again, there are lots of other military vehicles to choose from besides the FMTV line of trucks.

Sailmike

Rank 0

Contributor I

Northridge
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Levin
If the CTIS system fails, it’s the controls... when I say overly complex... I mean more so than civilian vehicles... if the controller goes out it takes the whole system down with it... designed that way to be easier to fix in the military settings... unfortunately parts for this aren’t available to civilians... so again, there are lots of other military vehicles to choose from besides the FMTV line of trucks.
What other military vehicles would you suggest?

Lanlubber

Rank V

Off-Road Ranger I

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
One way to locate military vehicles is to go online to Government liquidation.com. You can buy some nice trucks there with very low mileage on them. They sell them according to their age not the mileage. You can buy from the military base closest to where you live because they list them by states. Usually for less than $5000 you can find what you want. Unfortunately humvees are not sold to civilians for some reason.

M Rose

US Northwest Region Director
Benefactor

Traveler II

La Grande, Oregon, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham Callsign
KJ7MFV
A 5 ton, Duce and a Half, Hummv ambulance ... personally I would go with the HMMWV with the Ambulance package... it already has heat, 110v power; and A/C ported j to the back. If you can find a communications shelter HMMWV, they also incorporate a generator into the shelter.

We used to live in these rigs for months at a time... I hated living in the back of my 5 Ton with shelter... that’s a huge hike to get up into the back. My favorite was the Stripped down Commo HMMWV

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham Callsign
YourHighness
I think you only need a cdl if you tow a trailer, and have air brakes. Straight trucks are ok. Because I.........uh........nevermind.