Rank II

Traveler I

Medford Oregon
First Name
Micah
Last Name
White
Member #

Not nearly as well as mechanical. Common rail systems are MUCH less tolerant of contamination. And yeah, at least half of the deleted rigs I see have weird ghost issues in the ECMs from the illegal software required to run a delete. On new multiplexed electrical systems I have seen delete software cause the door locks not to work, I'm not kidding at all. Also did I mention it's illegal? Because it is, and if the EPA cracks down on light duty like they are on heavy duty that means your truck goes to the crusher and you get a $15,000 fine, and the shop that did the delete gets the same, and even the individual that removed the parts gets to pay the same fine. Really not worth it.
Edit to add: at the end of the day you can do what ever you want, I'm just giving advice to help keep people out of trouble, and give information so they can accurately weigh pros and cons.
I do realize it’s illegal but at the end of the day of there are so many trucks running aroung and the only people I’ve heard getting popped for it was in California. Ultimately I’ve never heard of any of those issues not saying it doesn’t happen but it makes you wondering if it’s really the delete or the shop screwed it up? Since I mean unless you are screwing with the ECU most people are doing tuners that simply tell the system to do something different than what the ECU is. Also my 24v 5.9 with the common rail injectors run oil through the tank just fine as well.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Some of you have suggested I get an older vehicle. Won’t newer vehicles have fewer problems?
Newer vehicles are built to much more stringent emissions CARB and economy CAFE regulations. All really good for our health snd environment but incredibly complex with shut down and limp modes when the "sensors" detect an anomoly. The older the vehicle the simpler the technology or if you go old enough you can eliminate technology. A modern diesel is the peak of stupidity for a world roaming overlander. Just putting in third world diesel fuel can shut you down. Where as a 1940s, Second World War truck with a diesel will run on virtually anything.

The newer vehicles are built to run within incredibly narrow parameters, and will shut down to eliminate emissions rather than allowing you to continue to safety. A modern engines computer will leave you stranded when it could continue otherwise.

Add in the complexity of a "sensor" failure putting you in limp mode when absolutely everything actually meets the spec..... I'd slit my wrists.

Oregon_trail

Rank II

Traveler I

Medford Oregon
First Name
Micah
Last Name
White
Member #

Every year enforcement and penalties increase foe deleting, chipping engines. What you do today and get away with could impound yer truck tomorrow.
I mean you’re whole statement above is enough reason to delete a truck. Fact is removing a CAT on a car is illegal and yet most people ditch those as well. Diesel emissions is retarded and I would rather have a truck that runs and if it ever gets that crazy guess what? I can put it all back on.

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
You guys have mentioned that diesel chemistry varies by country. What about gasoline/petrol?
It will a bit, but it's not as big a deal. Diesel fuel has a big job to do as far as lubrication is concerned. The lube requirement varies greatly depending on fuel system, mostly this is centered around sulfur. Sulfur naturally occurs in diesel fuel and in small amounts is a great lubricant, but it is also targeted for emissions, meaning North American spec engines with after treatment require ultra low sulfur fuel.

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
I do realize it’s illegal but at the end of the day of there are so many trucks running aroung and the only people I’ve heard getting popped for it was in California. Ultimately I’ve never heard of any of those issues not saying it doesn’t happen but it makes you wondering if it’s really the delete or the shop screwed it up? Since I mean unless you are screwing with the ECU most people are doing tuners that simply tell the system to do something different than what the ECU is. Also my 24v 5.9 with the common rail injectors run oil through the tank just fine as well.
There's a lot that can go wrong with a delete, weather its workmanship or software. In my experience working in a dealership level engine shop, it's not worth it.

Oregon_trail

Rank II

Traveler I

Medford Oregon
First Name
Micah
Last Name
White
Member #

There's a lot that can go wrong with a delete, weather its workmanship or software. In my experience working in a dealership level engine shop, it's not worth it.
Ultimately at this time I’m not doing one. Will I? Very likely and even if it’s only delete it while out of country then reinstall when I come back. Is my truck the best choice for wolf travel no but I love them and most of us are car or truck guys so that’s part of the fun.

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

You guys have mentioned that diesel chemistry varies by country. What about gasoline/petrol?
Pretty funny the guy that started the thread is being ignored. I went with gas for a few reasons:
There are different blends every where, no issues running most of them. Lead will clog the Catalytic converter but most countries no longer use it.
I travel to Mexico regularly, the availability of fuel, I can always get gas at most fish camps and farms for a price.
Availability of parts, I have made runs to friends with parts for diesel trucks cause they were going to take a week plus to get.
There are more gas mechanics then diesel mechanics.
I say this for travel in North and Central America, for travel else where I don’t know how I would go, not sure if would even ship my rig.

Last edited:
Reactions: Oregon_trail

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
We've never had a problem with fuel quality (petrol/gasoline, or diesel) anywhere in the world (Americas, Europe, Africa, Asia, Australasia). A few places have sold us fuel which was less than perfect, however it's never resulted in problems. For a diesel engine a second fuel filter (prior to the standard one) is recommended by some, although once again we're never had a problem without one. Newer petrol/gasoline vehicles are capable of adjusting themselves to handle lower octane fuel automatically (as well as altitude).

Lots of countries are going to be very concerned with a vehicle which has had emission control equipment removed or tampered with.

More to the point, the reason for the controls is to protect our future on the planet. I for one am concerned to look after it.

Reactions: MOAK

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

I mean you’re whole statement above is enough reason to delete a truck. Fact is removing a CAT on a car is illegal and yet most people ditch those as well. Diesel emissions is retarded and I would rather have a truck that runs and if it ever gets that crazy guess what? I can put it all back on.
Completely agree but my choice would be to buy the best pre emissions vehicle I could find.... and spend the $40K saving on fuel.

The other choice, ditch the cat etc eventually bites you and impounds yer vehicle.

Reactions: Oregon_trail

Sailmike

Rank 0

Traveler I

Northridge
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Levin
I've thought up some more questions. I'm wondering if hiring someone to weld an aluminum frame in the shapes shown in the pictures posted here is feasible. I have no idea what such a project would cost. Do you guys know? I would expect to be scrapping against plants during my travels, so some kind of strong skin would be needed. What kind of skin would be best for this?

Overlander Type 1.JPGOverlander Type 2.JPG

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

I've thought up some more questions. I'm wondering if hiring someone to weld an aluminum frame in the shapes shown in the pictures posted here is feasible. I have no idea what such a project would cost. Do you guys know? I would expect to be scrapping against plants during my travels, so some kind of strong skin would be needed. What kind of skin would be best for this?

View attachment 177182View attachment 177183
Go to tinyhomeadventures.com hey also a have a you tube site he did just that on a F550 . His build is there someplace.

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
You should be able to find racks and guards pre made. If not I would look around for a shop that does some fabrication work. To find one, ask at a place that sells high performance car or off road truck parts, the people there will have recommendations.

Sailmike

Rank 0

Traveler I

Northridge
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Levin
Go to tinyhomeadventures.com hey also a have a you tube site he did just that on a F550 . His build is there someplace.
That address doesn't appear to work.

You should be able to find racks and guards pre made. If not I would look around for a shop that does some fabrication work. To find one, ask at a place that sells high performance car or off road truck parts, the people there will have recommendations.
What are racks and guards? Would you mind giving me a link to some examples?

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
IF you want a "home" in the back, and not a tent, get a truck with an 8ft bed, it's not that long. more so if you just go extended cab to keep some clothes, jackets etc handy while travelling and put a camper in back. Build your rig around the camper in back and you will have an awesome travel rig.

This springs to my mind. that's even a 6ft box which will work for you for sure...

Don't get caught up on the "what if's". If you find a good F250 with a gas motor that has low milage grab it. the camper in back can be had used for about 12k. I think you could be in for truck and camper for about 25k. Your budget is 35k you said? take the extra 10k and add the few things you would need like a lift, tires, some recovery gear and lighting. Then, your off to the races.

Don't over think it. "overlanding" is a state of mind more than a you NEED this vehcile to do it.

Sailmike

Rank 0

Traveler I

Northridge
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Levin
Got some questions about the Ford F-series trucks. How and how much can the gas tank be expanded? Also, can the water tank be installed between the frame members? How big a water tank can it take. I know the water is the heaviest component in the entire RV and needs to be installed as low as possible so as to put the center of gravity as low as possible.
Thanks,
Mike