...but it's a Subaru Outback?! Build thread.

• HTML tutorial

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
I've been wrenching on things since my father taught me how but in all the vehicles that I've altered I've never started a build thread. I've always been more concerned with getting the installation done and then getting out there to try it out but here it goes..

I purchased my 2015 Outback to be a daily driven, AWD fear no snowstorm, utilitarian, quiet, shrug off speed bumps vehicle that ran on 87 octane go go juice. We have 2 other vehicles that can't check off all of those boxes, one none. My first Subaru. It's been a great car that came with 8.7" of clearance that has logged miles up and down the east coast several times and done so quite efficiently. Even loaded down and running the AC the car typically returns ~32 mpg. On to the pics which I'll have to admit I don't pretend to be a photographer and rarely take pictures to begin with.

Here it is pretty much when it was new. Looking just like the Outback littering all of your neighborhoods but really enjoying it's paws in the snow.

image.jpeg

I had plans before I took delivery of the car and had a pile of things waiting for it. I'm not a fan of chrome or really anything bright except when it comes to lights. So I almost immediately debadged the back, blacked outs anything chrome/bright, and swapped out almost every single bulb in the car. HID lows, PIAA 3k fogs, and LED everywhere else including the high beams. Also added Rally Armor flaps, wheel arch moldings, and tinted the front windows to match the OE rears.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

LaminX to protect the fogs/headlights and a Loadwarrior with extension to add to its utilitarian nature. At this point I had no plans to get into Overlanding. All I wanted to do was set it apart from the 100 other Outbacks I see every day.

image.jpeg

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
At this point the seed was planted and I felt the need to add more air underneath the wagon. Anderson Design and Fab to the rescue. The order from ADF added 2" to the front and 2 3/8" to the rear. I should add that I love powdercoating parts and I also love the color black.

image.jpeg

I love everything about it. It even makes it easier for me to get into and out of as well as when I place my sons car seat into the base. Practicality, functional, and it looks good... except for those OE wheels and tires. Hello Mickey Mouse.

image.jpeg

The next step just makes sense and since it's still a daily driven car I thought it best to protect its sensitive belly. Enter another small American company, Primitive. Here's the car wearing their snow shield and front skid plate.

image.jpeg

Mid/transmission armor.

image.jpeg

Dif armor.

image.jpeg

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Next up is my ARB awning. It's not made in the USA but the Foutreks mounts that hold it on the Loadwarrior are. Did I mention my Outback was made in Indiana?..

image.jpeg

Tool time compliments of Fourtreks again. Room for 3 or versatile mounting for 2. In keeping with the theme both the #Murderspork and Pulaski are made America as well.

image.jpeg

In an effort by to keep people honest a repurposed cable lock.

image.jpeg

For navigation I'm using a Dual 150 external gps, a dedicated iPad with Scenic Map as well as Gaia, and an inexpensive yet well functioning ikross mount.

image.jpeg

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Next up was some great parts from our friends to the north and LP Aventure. First up is a brush guard that's a lot sturdier than most people would imagine. One of the weak points of the Outback off-road is its long nose. The brush guard doesn't help that but I'm not ready to go custom bumper yet so some protection is in order.

image.jpeg

Some support plates/sliders for the rear.

image.jpeg

EVAP canister bypass to help avoid problems if the water gets deeper than planned. This places the vent high above the rear wheel behind the wheel well liner.

image.jpeg

Speaking of wheels it's time for some AT tread.

image.jpeg

Yokohama Geolander G015 wrapped around super light yet super strong Enkei RPF1's. So here's how the car looks today. Still have plenty of plans and will update the thread as I go

image.jpeg

Wolvee

ᕕ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡° ) ︻デ═一 pew pew
Staff member
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

Looks great. I love the Outbacks. If they had a bit more power, I'd have one in a heartbeat for a daily and weekender.

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Looks great. I love the Outbacks. If they had a bit more power, I'd have one in a heartbeat for a daily and weekender.
Thank you. I actually have no issues with the NA 4 banger that I have in mine. It has substantially less power than what I'm used to (~160 less hp than the other AWD vehicle in the garage for example) but for what it is it does everything required just fine. Loaded for bear or otherwise. I didn't want the 6 as I see it as a relic. They want way too much for an underwhelming performer relatively unchanged since 2006. All that said I wish there was a FI option like the Forester or even the diesel that they get across the pond.

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

Nice thread, and a great vehicle. I could have done almost everything I wanted with my 2008 Outback, but the turbo and manual tranny left me with very little torque for steep rocky roads. Plus an automatic/CVT would allow for Deb to drive. I came "this" close to getting a 3.6R last summer, but couldn't come to an agreement on money. Now we're VIP members and can buy at 2% under invoice, so this or a Forester may be Deb's next vehicle.

Does Gorilla make their bar/skid plate got the 5th gen? That's one I was considering for the OBXT.

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Nice thread, and a great vehicle. I could have done almost everything I wanted with my 2008 Outback, but the turbo and manual tranny left me with very little torque for steep rocky roads. Plus an automatic/CVT would allow for Deb to drive. I came "this" close to getting a 3.6R last summer, but couldn't come to an agreement on money. Now we're VIP members and can buy at 2% under invoice, so this or a Forester may be Deb's next vehicle.

Does Gorilla make their bar/skid plate got the 5th gen? That's one I was considering for the OBXT.
Thank you Steve. I haven't found the limitations of "1st gear" or X-mode yet but I'm sure I will. No substitution for low range. I'll have to inquire about the VIP program sometime but I'm sure you're absolutely smitten with your Yota.

I used to see Gorilla products for the 2015+ but nothing is really listed at the moment. Aside from the brush guard from LP Aventure all of the options I saw for this car looked like a traditional push bar which isn't what I wanted. Now the ones available to 3rd gen are much more functional than the push par options and look great as well.

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Hit the trails with my brother and his X. The Subaru performed flawlessly on all sorts of trails and I have to say that X-mode is pretty awesome when you bolt the right tires to the car.

image.jpeg

"Brush" guard did its job today. Weight of the car against a rock and I thought for sure it was going to be more than gouges in the powdercoat.

image.jpeg

Hey there dif armor! Had a wheel a lot higher several times but it was teetering on two on a steep decline here. Almost perfectly balanced.

image.jpeg

Pin stripes galore. My car has a date with a buffer but had a great time getting out there and seeing how capable the car truly is.

image.jpeg

We were on trails all day and it was definitely a learning experience. I have a bunch of GoPro videos to go through and I need to remember to take more pics because I know I missed quite a few great shots.

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Ok so here's some of the amusing things from the day..

1) I got to use my Pulaski.. a lot. These trails hadn't been traversed in a long long time so plenty of down trees and the aforementioned pin stripes. Chain saw next time haha.
2) I didn't use my machete once.. cause it was at home. A lot of these pin stripes could have been avoided. Ugh.
3) Went through some really good sized water/mud holes in the trail. That was awesome.
4) Pulled something into the left rear caliper and or dust shield going through the deepest of said holes. Had to pull the wheel, caliper, and rotor. Oh the joy.
5) So excited to hit the trails I forgot that I need new tools in the car to remove the new lugs. Good one Drew..
6) Chalk another one up to being excited.. Forgot to pack the jack platform so the jack in the car doesn't stand a chance at getting a rear tire off of the ground. It's cool though since the one from my brothers X lifts higher. Lucky me.
7) ... with the rear sway bar removed the rear has too much travel for his jack. Going to need a rock to set the jack on.
8) .... going to need a bigger rock. When we can't find one the #murderspork came to the rescue. Real easy digging since that's a quarry road and those track marks are from a D8 haha.
9) One more awesome use for the awning. My brother wanted to see it anyway haha.

Good times and lessons learned.

image.jpeg

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Well at least you had shade during the problem. Im sure the added shade made things go smoother. Or at least keep you a bit less agitated while figuring out a game plan.
Absolutely haha. We had to laugh about the sequence of events and you're correct, It's a lot easier to laugh in the shade.

Another rad subi, ugh I gotta stop looking at these or I'm gonna be further indebt
Thank you! Trust me I know the feeling every time I'm on here and see a sweet JKU.

I was given an opportunity to park next to a bone stock Outback yesterday. Looking at the picture it's hard to imagine the car on the right has a respectable 8.7" of clearance. I'm not saying my car is a monster truck but it looks tiny haha.

image.jpeg

Last edited:

Meta6981

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

Dewey, AZ
First Name
Trevor
Last Name
Emerdinger
Member #

Hey nice build. How much did all the extras run you if you don't mind? My girl is interested in getting one cause her VW was effected by the recall and is pretty much worthless aside from the buy back. The outback is a top contender as a replacement at the moment. If you want to let me know in a pm that's fine. Thanks in advance!

Reactions: dennisblass

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Ready for some lift springs? I have some fronts for you :)
I'm closer. I've started thinking about which rear springs and what combination of spacers I'd need to level it out or have an ever so slight forward rake.

Hey nice build. How much did all the extras run you if you don't mind? My girl is interested in getting one cause her VW was effected by the recall and is pretty much worthless aside from the buy back. The outback is a top contender as a replacement at the moment. If you want to let me know in a pm that's fine. Thanks in advance!
Thank you. I'll send a PM just to keep the thread clean.

Reactions: 100ideas

grantwilson

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

St. augustine, Fl
Member #

I'm closer. I've started thinking about which rear springs and what combination of spacers I'd need to level it out or have an ever so slight forward rake.

Thank you. I'll send a PM just to keep the thread clean.
The springs i have plus the overload ralliteks give it a HAIR front rake, almost level. If you HAD to have a front rake you can add a 1/4 spacer in the rear on the 2" spacers.

Reactions: dennisblass

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
The springs i have plus the overload ralliteks give it a HAIR front rake, almost level. If you HAD to have a front rake you can add a 1/4 spacer in the rear on the 2" spacers.
Just to be sure, are you referring to the regular raised RalliTEK springs or the "super raised"?