Bushcraft

• HTML tutorial

Ditch

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

New Park, Pennsylvania
Member #

Very cool! My daughter and I took an entry level bushcraft class last year. It was life changing! I'd be down for more opportunities to do that. I prefer to be in the backcountry than at campsites.
FYI, I am also a leathersmith and can help if you guys ever have a need. Not trying to grow my business to our OB community, just think that it's the right thing to do by offering help.
Sheepdog . . . I appreciate your comment about including your daughter in bushcrafting. I remember as a very young girl how my father would take us children on all day hikes through the countryside and spend time learning skills regardless of sun, rain, or snow. As we grew, the skills expanded and we were totally trusted by our parents to head into the woods on our own. Later, I would truly enjoy weekends horseback riding into the local reservoir/watershed where I spent quality alone time building on all I had been taught. In the years that followed, these seemingly little lessons actually saved my life and that of my son. I can promise you that your daughter will never forget the times you are spending with her. They are irreplaceable.

H3Coyote

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

MidWest, U.S., by Chicago.
Member #

When I was a teenager (the 80s) we lived in Arkansas and knew a man who was at the time, living in a cave, he literally left his home after coming home from Military Service and lived, everyday in the cave. Fast forward to 2015. I finally after years, went to get my motorcycle endorsement on my driver's license at a class here in Northern Illinois and met a guy named after Miles Davis, his uncle is the man who still, to this day, lives every single day, in the cave in the Ozark mountains.

Sent from my SM-J327R4 using OB Talk mobile app

T.Shack

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Red Bluff Ca.
Member #

One of the things I like to do when Im out and about is put my bush crafting skills to the test...firestarting, shelter building, food gathering, you get the point. Here a campsite we built for my brothers non-traditional bachelors party, appropriately dubbed "Bachpocolypse" It was a total blast and for my brother we took him out and then turned it into a survival scenario, where he was in charge of our "Team". His bachelors gift was a Woodsman's Pal with the sheath signed by all of us. One of the best trips ever! Plus, these are amazing skills to have if you ever find yourself stranded on an overland adventure!View attachment 13309View attachment 13310
This is awesome! Well done!

CSG

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Idaho
Member #

I've got the SAS book in my bag too. I don't practice shelter building or primitive fire-making skills (bow, plow, etc.) as I am so over prepared for making a fire that I cannot imagine the time when I'm alone and naked in the wilderness without even a knife. While I carry matches and lighters, I like using a firesteel and always have tinder (commercial and homemade) in my pocket. These days, however, all I do is day hike on reasonably known trails. All that said, I love reading about and watching bushcraft vids.

blackntan

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Uk. 53.4084 N 2 .9916W.
First Name
Black
Last Name
Tan
Member #

Service Branch
Boys brigade
Check out the BUSH TUCKER MAN. AUSSY LEGEND , LOFTY WHITE TOO. ,aint had the time lately but nothing better than a ruck sack bivy and dry bag and knife and getting lost , BnT

Reactions: Ron W.

OutOfStep

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

San Diego, CA, USA
Member #

I have an ESEE 5. Love it. I haven't used the bow drill divot yet. Ironically enough the bow drill divot was one of the reasons I bought it...
It’s my first esee 5, I honestly didn’t know what it was for when i bought it, found out seconds later. Anyways, making fire with the bow divot is pretty hard, takes a lot of practicing with to master it.

JNewton99

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Center, TX, USA
First Name
Jonathan
Last Name
Newton
Member #

Currently looking at the Becker BK2 and ESEE 5. Have either of you tried the BK2 before? Still kind of up in the air on which route Id like to go. Was also looking at the BK9 but it is a significantly larger knife.

tritonl

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Lukasz
Last Name
Mikula
Member #

Currently looking at the Becker BK2 and ESEE 5. Have either of you tried the BK2 before? Still kind of up in the air on which route Id like to go. Was also looking at the BK9 but it is a significantly larger knife.
I got the BK2 a few months ago, it’s a beast, it looks like it can take a beating for a while. And it’s significantly cheaper. There is also a wide range of aftermarket parts for it.

Reactions: JNewton99
E

Eric the Eric

I have been using a fallniven s1 for a few years now and have loved it. I am notoriously hard on kit and has stood up well. I use it while hunting and trapping as well as general bushcraft and I would recommend it to anyone. I have always been curious about the ESSE series though. Maybe my next birthday gift to myself.