Bushcraft

• HTML tutorial

Trenchfighter

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Perry, Michigan
Member #

One of the things I like to do when Im out and about is put my bush crafting skills to the test...firestarting, shelter building, food gathering, you get the point. Here a campsite we built for my brothers non-traditional bachelors party, appropriately dubbed "Bachpocolypse" It was a total blast and for my brother we took him out and then turned it into a survival scenario, where he was in charge of our "Team". His bachelors gift was a Woodsman's Pal with the sheath signed by all of us. One of the best trips ever! Plus, these are amazing skills to have if you ever find yourself stranded on an overland adventure!IMG_0596.JPGIMG_0387.JPG

chuckoverland

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Spokane, WA
Member #

Back in elementary school in Alaska (dont know if they still do this but i doubt it) they would take us on 3 or 4 day "camps" to teach us survival skills. Between that and boyscouts and avid hiking and camping in my teens, i feel very comfortable in the wilderness. Its like riding a bike.
Making time to get away from work is the hard part :(

Lead K9

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Franklin Park, Illinois
First Name
Lead
Last Name
Dog
Member #

It is very cool that more people are spending time learning how to get along in the woods with primitive skills. I love the combination of the primitive and modern. Both have a place and keep us balanced.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Awesome post! I learned this shelter construction method when at Camp Kennolyn in the Santa Cruze mountains in the late 60's early 70's and to this date I have never forgotten the survival techniques they taught us. Hope to pass this type of leaning on to our granddaughter when she gets older. Thanks for the post it brings back good memories.

El Gigante Jake

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Cleveland, OH
First Name
Jake
Last Name
H
Member #

I learned skills as a youth but we called them "how not to die". I forgot some of them and over the last few years have started teaching my son. He loves basic bushcrafting, and can't wait to do more adventures with him before he hits his teen years and knows everything.

Reactions: Hank Outdoors

Ron W.

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Herriman, UT, USA
First Name
Ron
Last Name
Wilkinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRQT933
Service Branch
US Navy
As a teenager my friend and I used to read all the bushcraft books we could find and practice the skills. So much fun.

Reactions: 64Trvlr

Sheepdog831

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Boulder Creek CA
Member #

Very cool! My daughter and I took an entry level bushcraft class last year. It was life changing! I'd be down for more opportunities to do that. I prefer to be in the backcountry than at campsites.

FYI, I am also a leathersmith and can help if you guys ever have a need. Not trying to grow my business to our OB community, just think that it's the right thing to do by offering help.