Palo Alto, CA, USA
First Name
Ofer
Last Name
Bruhis
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD6UKE
Hey mate. You are invited. It’s actually bison kababs on the Denali Highway. The Alaska Range on the background.

Rank II

Enthusiast III

El Paso, Texas
First Name
Z
Last Name
Varela
Hey mate. You are invited. It’s actually bison kababs on the Denali Highway. The Alaska Range on the background.
That is my Favorite!!!Thats the best meat patties one can have on the American Continent, And Yes, those Alaskan pics are beautiful... keep trekking!

Reactions: Ob1

Ob1

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Palo Alto, CA, USA
First Name
Ofer
Last Name
Bruhis
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD6UKE
One more thing before I go, In putting in a toyota diesel engine where can I get information in doing so and did you ever consider putting in a Cummings 6bt diesel and in Jonsey's swap.

Did you buy the engine already? If you want a good OEM Toyota engine/drive train, there is a guy in TX called Joe Katana. If you get the 1HZ, 1HDT or 1HDFT, they 'almost' bolt right in because they were built for the 80 series also. I can give you his contact if you wish.

As for the conversions, there are two blogs that I followed which has the 1HDFT/H151 manual...

...and the registry of diesel transplant in an 80 which includes a lot of engines and you can post questions...

Hope that helps mate!

Reactions: k9sar

Rank II

Enthusiast III

El Paso, Texas
First Name
Z
Last Name
Varela
Did you buy the engine already? If you want a good OEM Toyota engine/drive train, there is a guy in TX called Joe Katana. If you get the 1HZ, 1HDT or 1HDFT, they 'almost' bolt right in because they were built for the 80 series also. I can give you his contact if you wish.

As for the conversions, there are two blogs that I followed which has the 1HDFT/H151 manual...

...and the registry of diesel transplant in an 80 which includes a lot of engines and you can post questions...

Hope that helps mate!
No I don't have the engine yet because I'm undecided as to go for LC diesel or the Cummings diesel ... and yes, if you have Katana's contact info, that would be most helpful.

2RiversRanchExpeditions

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Dayville, OR, USA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
Letosky
Member #

Thank you for your time writing, uploading the pictures, and formatting this build-thread so well. This is truly an inspiration. You are welcome to camp at our ranch in Oregon anytime. Would be honored to meet and see this rig in person. Or check out our event next year and join! (July 4th weekend)
-Joe

Last edited:

Ob1

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Palo Alto, CA, USA
First Name
Ofer
Last Name
Bruhis
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD6UKE
Thanks Joe. Never been in Dayville. I used to hang glide in Lakeview and some of our flights ended up north, but never that north.

Ob1

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Palo Alto, CA, USA
First Name
Ofer
Last Name
Bruhis
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD6UKE
We have added a water treatment system in an 'home made' aluminum case. The case still needs a cover and powder coating, and will probably reside on the roof under the solar panel. It provides 1GPM of drinking water from any stream using 12VDC. 4 levels of filtering and a UV light to kill the bacteria are incorporated into the box. Water... That is where life on earth started...IMG_0837.JPG

Reactions: 64Trvlr and WAYAWAY

Ob1

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Palo Alto, CA, USA
First Name
Ofer
Last Name
Bruhis
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD6UKE
This weekend I used the skills taught by my grandma. Used a multi mesh tarp as material and made storage bags. Real estate is an issue in this vehicle...

Started with cross members under the headliner as support with loops for straps

IMG_0835.jpgIMG_0841.JPG

and then used an old sewing machine to make these storing bags and headroom storage.
IMG_7277.JPG

IMG_9555.JPG

Ob1

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Palo Alto, CA, USA
First Name
Ofer
Last Name
Bruhis
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD6UKE
Water treatment system is mostly done. case powder coated orange. We will always find it! It still needs a connector for the electrical.

IMG_0892.jpgIMG_0891.jpg

Reactions: 64Trvlr and k9sar

Ob1

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Palo Alto, CA, USA
First Name
Ofer
Last Name
Bruhis
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD6UKE
Just came back from Death Valley. Got in from Goler Canyon and slept next to the cabin in the car. Night came down to the twenties. We then drove to the Racetrack and went down to the Saline Valley through Lippincott Pass. Coming out of the Valley to Big Pine was sketchy. 1 foot of ice and snow on the trail and the sun coming down did not help. I just got the Maxtrax delivered when I came back. Bummer Could have used them :)

DJI_0028.JPGIMG_1133.JPGIMG_1134.JPGIMG_1136.JPGIMG_1139.JPGIMG_1140.JPGIMG_1146.JPGb0543621-f53d-458c-a54b-9f0bad350b99 2.JPGIMG_1155.JPGIMG_1161.JPG

64Trvlr

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Northern AZ
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Trvlr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK7NAZ
Service Branch
MM1 US Navy
Excellent job and very well thought out. I liked your shake down cruise too!

Reactions: Ob1

Ob1

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Palo Alto, CA, USA
First Name
Ofer
Last Name
Bruhis
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD6UKE
Gutted the dash. It was a real PITA. Took 2 days to do it. Found the evaporator clogged with 30 years of dust, hair and leaves. The problem with early models is that they don't have a cabin filter, so it will eventually clog. I am looking at options to add a cabin filter . The good news is that the radiator shop said that there was a leak from the heater, so it was not only my imagination. Also, when you run the fan, it sure blows air now. Did also clean up with the wiring, so all the non OEM wiring got tidy. I replaced the brake booster as well.

IMG_1218.JPG
IMG_1217.JPG
IMG_1228.JPG

This is the fan/AC/heater unit. Size of a VW bug.

60099951673__6494F43B-5733-4C5F-9F10-2B9FB024709B.JPG

Last edited:

Ob1

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Palo Alto, CA, USA
First Name
Ofer
Last Name
Bruhis
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD6UKE
It's amazing the amount of stuff they cram in there!
I did some yoga moves to get in there. And there is a sequence to it all. Some of the parts I had to pull out after installing. I put a newer evaporator, and the pipe that connect to it did not fit. It was from a 1995 not 1993, so the mounting hole was off by 1/8". I had to take it all apart. I don't know how they do it in the factory in Japan. They must have little people that do the production.

Reactions: 64Trvlr