Best mobile air compressor unit for Overland travel?

• HTML tutorial

4RunAndGun

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Flagstaff, AZ, USA
First Name
Nico
Last Name
Barraza
Member #

Alright fellow overlandies, Amazon links are appreciated. What do you use, what works, what will last? I need a mobile compressor for my 4Runner so I can air down then back up in the backcountry. Let me have the knowledge. Thanks in advance, Nico.

Reactions: riss800

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

I use a harbor freight 150psi it works fine for what it is, it takes me around 3 minutes to fill one 33" e rated tire from 0 to 80 psi. Im sure there is better and worse out there but this is the only portable 12v air compressor ive ever used so idk. If i had to buy another one not harbor freight id get one of those 200psi dual head compressors off amazon.

MotoHop

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Portage Lakes, OH, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Hopkins
Member #

I almost went with a Harbor Freight compressor, but I decided to splurge on a Smittybilt 2780. It was significantly faster than my previous Slime brand compressor, which did work fine.. but slowly. I have not actually timed a tire fill though.

Last edited:

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
I originally bought a cheap one from Amazon. But when I used it to air up it took forever and it literally started to overheat.

I then picked this guy up. I don't remember if I paid this price or not. It's definitely more heavy duty feeling than the $50 one I originally bought.

mmp

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lugoff, SC, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Powell
Member #

I have the Viair 450P and really like it. It's a little quieter than some of the others and works good. The 450P has 100% duty cycle which is nice since you don't have to wait for the compressor to cool down if you have been running it for a while. I know that I didn't pay the below price for it but have had it for a few years now.

Mojavewanderer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Steward I

Hemet, CA, USA
First Name
Brent
Last Name
Caldon
Member #

I also have a Harbor Freight. 150 psi compressor, and I’m happy with it. I’ve been using it for almost 2 years without a problem. It’s a great deal at around $40 when you use the coupon.

Reactions: Gus2.0

Stepsride

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Palm Harbor FL
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Stepkoski
Member #

I guess like all other things it depends. Do you want a reliable and fairly quick compressor ARB or Viair. This also includes very old compressors like my 20 year old Black and Decker. Just something I learned that I hope helps: most of the time when I cut corners or cheap out on something I pay for it later.

Louiston

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

USA
First Name
Lou
Last Name
N/A
I have the Viair 450P and really like it. It's a little quieter than some of the others and works good. The 450P has 100% duty cycle which is nice since you don't have to wait for the compressor to cool down if you have been running it for a while. I know that I didn't pay the below price for it but have had it for a few years now.

I'll 2nd that!

The Viair 450P is awesome. Buy once, cry once! :smile:

mountainrecce

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Colorado Springs, CO 80920, USA
First Name
Chad
Last Name
Edwards
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD0VGV
I have the ARB single/compact mounted under the hood. When I air down to 17psi, it takes 3m45s to go back up to 37/40psi per tire. I have a compressed air tank, 10ib, and really like it, but you have to remember to fill, wonder how much air is in it and it takes up SPACE. If I had to do it over again, I would drop the duckets for the ARB twin... or similar.

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

I have a harbor freight 150psi compressor , it’s a little slow but has been working fine for 5 years now, It’s even reseated a couple tires (ratchet strap around the tire and a good amount of luck ) . One of the biggest thing with some of the smaller air compressors is you need to turn the compressor on first and then screw the valve onto the tire if you put it on the tire first and then start up the compressor it tends to over load the motor and burn it out.

Reactions: kooner2k

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
I have a 2 year old Greenworks 24V Lithium-Ion compressor, I have 2 other tools that use the same 24v battery so I always have 2 or 3 at full charge. I can fill tires 5-6 times on a single charge, it takes about 2.5 minutes to fill a 33" tire from 16 to 34psi. I use a clip on chuck and can set the max pressure on the compressor, hook up, walk away and it shuts off when at 34psi. All tire gear and compressor fit in a tool bag.

Reactions: ThundahBeagle

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
I originally bought a cheap one from Amazon. But when I used it to air up it took forever and it literally started to overheat.

I then picked this guy up. I don't remember if I paid this price or not. It's definitely more heavy duty feeling than the $50 one I originally bought.

I have had the 87P for years and have zero complaints.

Cpol

Rank IX
Launch Member

World Traveler III

Jackson Heights, Queens, NY, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Pol
Member #

I just installed the arb twin, I have tested the product after install, waiting on two valves for the manifold. will be testing in the pine barren this weekend. cbi provided the mount for the engine bay. had 6 different air compressors before this one I will let you know how it went after airing down to 15psi