Best mobile air compressor unit for Overland travel?

• HTML tutorial

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

I use a harbor freight 150psi it works fine for what it is, it takes me around 3 minutes to fill one 33" e rated tire from 0 to 80 psi.
You might re-time that. A 33" tire has about 2 cubic feet of internal volume, and at over 5 atmospheres of pressure that works out to ~11 CFM which is pretty much impossible with current 12V options. The most powerful one I know of is the ARB Twin which still only puts out something like 4-5 CFM at 40 PSI.

That said, the Smitty is known to be pretty fast for the money, though its proprietary connectors are kinda lame. I have also heard good things sbout the Viair 88 mentioned above.

The Puma 12v is a great option for a portable compressor that provides enough air to rattle off a set of lugs with an impact wrench. I have one, but ended up removing the compressor from the tank to fit under the hood of my Rav4. It is only a little slower than the ARB Twin, filling 4x 33s from 15 to 40 PSI in about 9 minutes.

Puma Industries PD1006 Air Compressor, Professional D.C. Direct Drive Oil-Less Series, 0.75 hp Running, 135 Maximum psi, 12V/Phase, 1.5 gal, 31 lb.

Reactions: WAYAWAY

Seanm26

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lynden, WA, USA
First Name
Sean
Last Name
Moore
Member #

I have a Bonair twin pump jobber that i got at Costco a few years ago. It became easier to handle once i broke the handle off. I don't know how well it will handle the duty cycles required for larger tires, but it fills our 235/75R15's quickly.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
I have a small one.. it fills one of my BFG 32s from 20 to 50psi in around 4 min.

Viair 00088 88P Portable Air Compressor
I have the same compressor. I don't like the thread on filler attachment that came with it. I want to change it to service station type fill devise with locking lever for quick on and off operation. I really like my air down valves I purchased at the same time.

Reactions: Desert Runner

WAYAWAY

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

San Diego, CA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
P
Member #

I have the same compressor. I don't like the thread on filler attachment that came with it. I want to change it to service station type fill devise with locking lever for quick on and off operation. I really like my air down valves I purchased at the same time.
I've been happy with it right out of the box, but yeah.. that would be cool. I use the Grit Performance air downers. Super handy, and they make a fun noise that always makes my girlfriend laugh.

Trail_pilot

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
I have been using a Smittybilt 5.4 CFM compressor for about 7 years. I did just upgrade to a powertank but I keep the compressor around just in case. the only issue I have run into is the hose blew, but I cut it off and got rid of the filler it came with put another line on with a pressure fitting and use an ARB filler. it gets hot hot the line does blow every once in a while but I just cut it and re-fit it with the pressure fitting on it.

cytocycle

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Scottsdale, AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Roberts
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7HQR
Well my Dual ARB compressor failed after 5 years of very little use.. so disappointed. I need pull it out and figure out if I can rebuild it or what. I loved it when it worked and I loved it even better with a 2 gallon tank. Without tanks it was kinda disappointing as you filled tires. I am now thinking of going CO2 tank.

I will post back to this thread when I find out what my options are on the fixing my ARB.

Trail_pilot

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
Well my Dual ARB compressor failed after 5 years of very little use.. so disappointed. I need pull it out and figure out if I can rebuild it or what. I loved it when it worked and I loved it even better with a 2 gallon tank. Without tanks it was kinda disappointing as you filled tires. I am now thinking of going CO2 tank.

I will post back to this thread when I find out what my options are on the fixing my ARB.
I just got a CO2 tank and I am still on the fence if I trust it. If it runs out I'm stuck with low tire pressure for my drive home. ( I usually air down to about 8 psi on the harder trails I run and I have a 2-2.5 hour drive home from anywhere). I'm pretty sure I can only get 5 trips out of my tank before having to fill it again so I will likely keep a compressor with me as backup.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I just got a CO2 tank and I am still on the fence if I trust it. If it runs out I'm stuck with low tire pressure for my drive home. ( I usually air down to about 8 psi on the harder trails I run and I have a 2-2.5 hour drive home from anywhere). I'm pretty sure I can only get 5 trips out of my tank before having to fill it again so I will likely keep a compressor with me as backup.
Because of tire pressure equalization a tank can only put enough air in tire to equalize. I don't think you will be able to make 5 trips at 30 pounds per tire = 120# per trip x 5= 600# or air pressure. My air tank holds 100# of pressure. If my tires have 10 pounds and I want 40# it will fill 2 tires because only 40#'s will remain in the tank after the second tire is filled. The third tire will only get 15#'s max which would be 25#'s and then 25#'s will rain in the tank. Only 7.5 #'s of the 25 remaining is left for tire # 4 if my math is correct. Based on that math you could fill four tires with 30#'s one time before needing a tank refill. 30# should get you to another air source safely.

Trail_pilot

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
Because of tire pressure equalization a tank can only put enough air in tire to equalize. I don't think you will be able to make 5 trips at 30 pounds per tire = 120# per trip x 5= 600# or air pressure. My air tank holds 100# of pressure. If my tires have 10 pounds and I want 40# it will fill 2 tires because only 40#'s will remain in the tank after the second tire is filled. The third tire will only get 15#'s max which would be 25#'s and then 25#'s will rain in the tank. Only 7.5 #'s of the 25 remaining is left for tire # 4 if my math is correct. Based on that math you could fill four tires with 30#'s one time before needing a tank refill. 30# should get you to another air source safely.
I have a 10 gallon tank with 300psi. I fill my tires from 8psi to roughly 27psi. I seem to get about 5 rounds before it equalizes

AAMoussa

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Mission Viejo
First Name
Abdulrazad
Last Name
Moussa
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6SLG
Happy New Year follow Overlanders!!!!

I have a 20 pound Power Tank. It's great, but it's taking too much space in my Decked drawer. I'm think of getting an ARB twin compressor (CKMTP12) with extra tank. So, I can free up the space in my drawer for my future 22" Cook Partner stove and airlock as well. Here's the link: 20 lb Power Tank Builder.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Taller but not quite as big around? Look up powertank and you should be able to see what I have.
Thanks, I'll do that. It's always nice when someone post info that they give names of products if they know them. I need to follow up with that kind of info myself but so far no one has asked me for anything. Maybe they are not interested enough in my stuff.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Taller but not quite as big around? Look up powertank and you should be able to see what I have.
Well so much for the tank. $516 for just the tank and another $200 to make it work. My pockets are not that deep.
Thanks for the info though.

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

For some reason I thought I already replied in this thread, but I guess not. I use this: I'd like to do on-board air with a big tank eventually, but right now this gets the job done and is much easier to move from vehicle to vehicle. When I still had a big Class A RV that ran 315/85-22.5 tires and was over 40k lbs this compressor could get the tires up to the required 120psi (granted, if they were down much at all it took a looooong time). On my fullsize truck ('11 Chevy 2500 diesel) with 35x12.5-18"s it takes a good 10 minutes per tire to go from about 25psi back to 75psi. The compressor is rated for continuous duty up to 40 minutes at a time: 450P-Auto Portable Compressor | VIAIR so it'll just get all 4 before it needs a break. Often I just take my time and get one tire done, then let it have ~5 minutes to rest, so it takes a full hour to air back up that truck. On the WJ with 265/75-16"s (about 31.6x11.2") it is noticeably quicker... I haven't timed that one but it's definitely under 30min to come back up to 40ish from 18psi.

Again, in a perfect world I'd have something mounted and a big tank (it's the tank that would make things way faster) but right now moving it between vehicles and being that I already own it, this gets the job done nicely.

-TJ

Trail_pilot

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
Well so much for the tank. $516 for just the tank and another $200 to make it work. My pockets are not that deep.
Thanks for the info though.
Ha ha ya they are pricey. Smittybilt has a cheaper option but it's still kinda up there. I got mine with store discounts on manufacture year end blow out deal so I would have been crazy not to lol. 3 of us at the shop ended up buying them. They work quick and that's the main reason I got it because I usually try to spend as much time out as I can and have a 2+ hour drive home no matter where I get out to. The extra couple minutes it saves me means I can get home that much quicker.... I have a curry antirock away bar to do the same job as my disconnects too for the same reason.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ha ha ya they are pricey. Smittybilt has a cheaper option but it's still kinda up there. I got mine with store discounts on manufacture year end blow out deal so I would have been crazy not to lol. 3 of us at the shop ended up buying them. They work quick and that's the main reason I got it because I usually try to spend as much time out as I can and have a 2+ hour drive home no matter where I get out to. The extra couple minutes it saves me means I can get home that much quicker.... I have a curry antirock away bar to do the same job as my disconnects too for the same reason.
Your very well equipped , hang on to it for posterity .

Reactions: Trail_pilot