Best mobile air compressor unit for Overland travel?

• HTML tutorial

Wampa150

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor II

Chico, CA, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Hoover
Member #

I originally bought a cheap one from Amazon. But when I used it to air up it took forever and it literally started to overheat.

I then picked this guy up. I don't remember if I paid this price or not. It's definitely more heavy duty feeling than the $50 one I originally bought.

I bought 4 RV ViAir kits for my fleet. Solid kit that only requires minimal add ons. IE extra valve cores, extra air gauge, and core tool. I like the RV kit not only for the beef of the unit, but the extra hose will reach all the way back to a trailer.

CTO1Mike

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler II

Yuba City, CA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Lester
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC5DWF
Service Branch
Navy
I am firmly in the Viair camp. Have not had mine very long, but I am happy with it's performance. I may buy a second to speed filling my 275/70 R18 tires.

Darwinian

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Southern California
First Name
Marcus
Last Name
Pasette
I’m going to try the 2781 model Smittybuilt air compressor. Seems like it will work well for my purposes. I really would like a 10 lb power tank to save time, but it seems like this model is going to have a decent rate of cfm, and it’s priced right to experiment with. Anyone have experience with it?

Bama_Kiwi

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Christchurch, New Zealand
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Frank
Member #

I have a Viair 88p. Almost certainly not the "best", but seems to fit my needs just fine.

Airs up my tires from 18psi to 36psi in about 3 minutes each. However, the built-in air gauge is not very accurate.

I have plans to convert it to an on-board system similar to this thread Poor man's OBA

Reactions: Desert Runner

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
Did a lot of research, both compressors and the reviews that accompanied them. After a lot of reading, price comparisons, and the frequency I expected to use it, I chose the Viair 88P. As a price point, it was cheaper than some, but more robust than others in the same price range. A big qualification that I needed, was the ability to pump up a 33" tire (285x75x16) E range. A bag was not needed, as I used a surplus 200 round sealed military Ammo can, that gives the unit great protection when transporting. It allowed enough room for the compressor, a 6 foot Vivair extension hose (22 ft duck-tail flat bed trailer), and a couple small accessories.
1575400836315.png
1575401285071.png
Most important, it did not break the bank, in cost.

Last edited:

HuddExpo

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado Springs, CO
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0PSF
I run a PumaAir compressor permanently mounted over my RR wheel well.. Been doing that for years with really good results. Very fast air up of 35" tires. It's quiet and puts out a lot of air. I wouldn't quite call it mobile, but it performs better than just about everything else I have had. FWIW I have tried most of the smaller compressors, ARB, Viair, MV50, etc. This is hands down my favorite.

cargo.jpg

sportsguy

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Camarillo CA
First Name
duane
Last Name
forrester
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6GYI
I have been eyeing the PowerTank option - BUT, not fond of the footprint size, anf for stock 33's, a bit of overkill, IMO. I'm familiar withthe Viair units from riding motorcycles - guys swear by them. I may just go the Smittybilt route simply because I like the brand. I can build in time on the trail to allow for airing up if whatever I have is a bit slower.

Reactions: Darwinian

KRomer

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Colorado
First Name
Ken
Last Name
Romer
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K0ROM
ARB twins blow up a lot, Mine died after a year. use get an extremaire magnum
I have had one for years and never had an issue

I did a review on expo a few years back

KRomer

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Colorado
First Name
Ken
Last Name
Romer
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K0ROM
Ritchie, I don't discount your experience, please don't discount mine. I have been in the offroad community a long time as well and would tell you Slee, Cruiser Outfitters and others would disagree with you.

I am not saying you didnt have a bad one, but I know a lot of people who have them and yours is the first I have heard there is an issue.

I am Romer on mud by the way. Had to pick a different name here as that was taken

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
Lol I know who you are, I do a lot of typing in a short time everyday, so if it appeared I was discounting. I was not. Is yours the twin unit or single? My main beef was ARB never responding when unit failed and having to totally reconfigure to make extreme aire work. And the number of builders that straight up told me ARB twin would grenade was more than 3. the older ARBs seemed to work well, the newer units. not so much.
This is something I have heard about also. Not having ever owned one, I can not give an opinion, on what ARB might have changed in their production. But I have read that catastrophic failure has been observed by more than 3 different users, both the under hood, and the interior clean mountings.
RichieFromBoston said:
. 'even tho it spent its year inside the truck in rear quarter clean dry and protected'.

I also heard that dust/heat from hard mounting under the hood was a likely cause of premature failure, and was discouraged if longevity was planned.
So it seems that no matter which method you subscribe too, it is a roll of the dice for the amount of money your going to spend. This was a big reason for my Vivair 88 P purchase, you lose the compact hard mount, but spend way less on the unit itself. If it fails, your not out.... big bucks.

KRomer

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Colorado
First Name
Ken
Last Name
Romer
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K0ROM
Mine is the twin and I have had it for 6 years with no issues. I also put them in both daughters trucks and they have had no issues. I have them in both my 200 series Land Cruiser and my Fj40

I am not doubting that there have been ones with issues, just mine have worked fine mounted in the engine bay

The link I posted i thought would help in deciding between a CO2 system, a compressor and a compressor with a tank. I used both the Puma and ARB in the test. The puma is a great unit and not very expensive. It is big though

I liked the ARB twin because I dont have to carry a compressor. With all the stuff I carry, it is one less item to have

BTW Ritchie- it was your review which sold me on the Alu-Cab. I almost went the Alpha based on your other review, but the deal I got on the Alu-Cab was great and I did not want to wait till May

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Hi,

Had a VIAIR 400P for some years. First portable and then - because I did not like to unpack and pack the thing everytime I need it - i fitted it permanetly. Never had to complain, good gear. Now I run a ARB CKMA12 which came with the lockers anyway. Also very good but takes alittle longer to fill up tires. Maybe I will fit a pressure reservoir tank soon.

I think if you are looking for something reliable, VIAIR and ARB are good manufacturers.

Cheers, Bjoern

DRTMaverick

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Corvallis, OR, USA
First Name
Tyler
Last Name
Perry
Member #

I've ugraded from a Harbor Freigh 150psi pump to a dual viair 450C pump w/ 2.0gallon airtank. Airing up is a LOT faster and more enjoyable with the dual compressor and tank setup. I like the viair option because of how you can customize where you want to mount it and it's not all smashed together (dissipates heat a little better).

Here's my setup on my Xterra.

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
I've ugraded from a Harbor Freigh 150psi pump to a dual viair 450C pump w/ 2.0gallon airtank. Airing up is a LOT faster and more enjoyable with the dual compressor and tank setup. I like the viair option because of how you can customize where you want to mount it and it's not all smashed together (dissipates heat a little better).

Here's my setup on my Xterra.

Hi,

The air tank looks good. Which size is it?

Thanks,
Bjoern