Australia to the US, with my Rubicon...

• HTML tutorial

RodP

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Barellan Point
Member #

Sorry to hear about the problems with your trip. When you had your Rubicon shipped here how is it billed? Weight? Size? Distance from exit port to entrance port? I have been following your issue from the beginning If you have time could you give me a brief rundown what procedures to do this round trip. And a estimate of cost. Sounds like a real nightmare after getting here with the quarantine and now the fires. Last year we had a trip to Colorado planned and hurricane Irma hit our house 3 hours before we were to fly out, canceled! Nothing compaired to what you are going through, good luck I hope things will turn around on you dream trip. From the posts it looks like you have a lot of support.
Sorry to hear about the problems with your trip. When you had your Rubicon shipped here how is it billed? Weight? Size? Distance from exit port to entrance port? I have been following your issue from the beginning If you have time could you give me a brief rundown what procedures to do this round trip. And a estimate of cost. Sounds like a real nightmare after getting here with the quarantine and now the fires. Last year we had a trip to Colorado planned and hurricane Irma hit our house 3 hours before we were to fly out, canceled! Nothing compaired to what you are going through, good luck I hope things will turn around on you dream trip. From the posts it looks like you have a lot of support.
I’ll get back to you with those details, give me a few days to process shit and reply in a positive light.

Flipper

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Florida
First Name
John
Last Name
F
Member #

I’ll get back to you with those details, give me a few days to process shit and reply in a positive light.
Hey! No hurry. I feel your pain. Hang in there. Maybe when you get back and have an overall look of the does and donts. Good Luck.

Reactions: Luis Merlo

RodP

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Barellan Point
Member #

The post I never thought I would make.

After spending so much money preparing my Jeep for what essentially was my idea of “ The trip of a life time” has been snuffed out by your folk at Customs.

It has taken these arses 5 stinking weeks to tell me that my American built Jeep has been denied entry into the US. The reason wont be disclosed to me or the shipper, but get this kicker, since I personally headed down to the port in Charleston looking for some answers, some precious type took offence to that, and in their chest beating power play, will only discus with the broker, BY SNAIL MAIL!!! To the west coast ( Washington State) No email option?? What an absolute dick move, so even if there is any recourse, this arse knows that my time is limited here and I could possibly be on my way home before an appeal. Nice work jerk.

To say that I feel shattered by this move is an understatement, to hold your country ( and it’s folks) in such a high regard, that I’ve spent 10’s of thousands to visit, only to be treated like this. Thank God I’m from an Allied country.........

My intention is still to head west as I purchased a small travel trailer and plan to take her home through LA. I also purchased some Jeep related parts and they are waiting for me in Houston. My option is to hire a box truck to tow my trailer across to atleast Texas, where I might search around for an eighties Ram to finish the rest of the trip. If I take that home, I might be able to claw back a couple of dollars from this wasted trip.

Not all has been negative, I have met some truly fantastic people and visited some awesome places, just not the way I planned. Even though this post is a downer, I don’t think any less of your country or the people, I can see why it is “ the land of opportunity “ and anyone that’s willing to work hard, can have a good life. I can see why so many folk from down south risk it all to try to come here.

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
The post I never thought I would make.

After spending so much money preparing my Jeep for what essentially was my idea of “ The trip of a life time” has been snuffed out by your folk at Customs.

It has taken these arses 5 stinking weeks to tell me that my American built Jeep has been denied entry into the US. The reason wont be disclosed to me or the shipper, but get this kicker, since I personally headed down to the port in Charleston looking for some answers, some precious type took offence to that, and in their chest beating power play, will only discus with the broker, BY SNAIL MAIL!!! To the west coast ( Washington State) No email option?? What an absolute dick move, so even if there is any recourse, this arse knows that my time is limited here and I could possibly be on my way home before an appeal. Nice work jerk.

To say that I feel shattered by this move is an understatement, to hold your country ( and it’s folks) in such a high regard, that I’ve spent 10’s of thousands to visit, only to be treated like this. Thank God I’m from an Allied country.........

My intention is still to head west as I purchased a small travel trailer and plan to take her home through LA. I also purchased some Jeep related parts and they are waiting for me in Houston. My option is to hire a box truck to tow my trailer across to atleast Texas, where I might search around for an eighties Ram to finish the rest of the trip. If I take that home, I might be able to claw back a couple of dollars from this wasted trip.

Not all has been negative, I have met some truly fantastic people and visited some awesome places, just not the way I planned. Even though this post is a downer, I don’t think any less of your country or the people, I can see why it is “ the land of opportunity “ and anyone that’s willing to work hard, can have a good life. I can see why so many folk from down south risk it all to try to come here.
Apologies

brien

Sonoran Space Program
Staff member

Off-Road Ranger I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
Jeesh that really sucks. Sorry to hear this and I hope your appeal is timely and successful.

Do you mind me asking you for details about that sun visor you have over the windshield of your JKU? For some reason those never took off here in the states. I have one on my old '67 VW Squareback that was imported from Oz (the visor, not the car), and I'd love to put one on my Jeep as well. It really helps keep the heat down here in the Sonoran Desert where I live.

RodP

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Barellan Point
Member #

Thanks for the support fellas. An attorney has been called in. The reason for refusal isn’t know at this time as we have to wait on snail mail from Charleston SC to Washington state.

Reactions: Luis Merlo

RodP

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Barellan Point
Member #

Jeesh that really sucks. Sorry to hear this and I hope your appeal is timely and successful.

Do you mind me asking you for details about that sun visor you have over the windshield of your JKU? For some reason those never took off here in the states. I have one on my old '67 VW Squareback that was imported from Oz (the visor, not the car), and I'd love to put one on my Jeep as well. It really helps keep the heat down here in the Sonoran Desert where I live.

It’s a one off. A mate that has a truck respray show in Brisbane had it laying around. I did want to use a Kenworth 404/604 version as I liked the lines but none were available.

A fair bit of work went into not only shortening it ( around 10inches) but the curve down the side of the windshield was all wrong. It is all fibreglass.

Reactions: brien

JeepWave

Rank V
Investor

Enthusiast III

Broomfield, CO, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Hutchins
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W0EMH
I just happened upon this thread and was excited for your adventure, @RodP. I’m saddened at how the story has turned out and apologize for you having to deal with such inept and inconsiderate bureaucrats. I hope you make the most of your time here in the States and that you and your Rubi make it back down under safe and sound. And if you make it out to San Francisco, give a shout and I’ll buy the first round of beers.

Reactions: RodP

RodP

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Barellan Point
Member #

I just happened upon this thread and was excited for your adventure, @RodP. I’m saddened at how the story has turned out and apologize for you having to deal with such inept and inconsiderate bureaucrats. I hope you make the most of your time here in the States and that you and your Rubi make it back down under safe and sound. And if you make it out to San Francisco, give a shout and I’ll buy the first round of beers.
Thank you for your good wishes. I was suppose to fly home yesterday but with all this crap hanging over me, I’ve extended it . The latest is that Customs have seized it and now there is an Attorney on the case. Seriously WTF!! If I can’t have my Jeep, why can’t these arses just send it back? I’ve unwittingly being caught up in this Godforsaken shitfight you boys call a legal system. Unf&$@ingbelievable.

Last edited:

DanW

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Danville, Indiana
Member #

Thank you for your good wishes. I was suppose to fly home yesterday but with all this crap hanging over me, I’ve extended it . The latest is that Customs have seized it and now the is an Attorney on the case. Seriously WTF!! If I can’t have my Jeep, why can’t these arses just send it back? I’ve unwittingly being caught up in this Godforsaken shitfight you boys call a legal system. Unf&$@ingbelievable.
This just kills me seeing what our regulation/bureaucracy obsessed government agency has put you through. Are you still going to be in the states in October? If so, let me know. We've got a group of Jeeps heading to Moab and there are possibly extra seats and possibly a co-driving opportunity in my 2nd Jeep. (A JKU Rubi.)

RodP

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Barellan Point
Member #

This just kills me seeing what our regulation/bureaucracy obsessed government agency has put you through. Are you still going to be in the states in October? If so, let me know. We've got a group of Jeeps heading to Moab and there are possibly extra seats and possibly a co-driving opportunity in my 2nd Jeep. (A JKU Rubi.)
Cheers mate. Unfortunately I’m headed back home on the 31st of this month but thank you for your offer.
It mightn’t be this year, but one of these years I will get there. And nothing less than a Jeep will do.

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

To start your trip, you need a really long snorkel and exhaust system! Just a bad joke! I hope you follow your dreams and make the trip happen sooner than later! If you don’t do it know life just seems to get in the way and you are never able to make it happen. So, just do it! Benz.

RodP

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Barellan Point
Member #

To start your trip, you need a really long snorkel and exhaust system! Just a bad joke! I hope you follow your dreams and make the trip happen sooner than later! If you don’t do it know life just seems to get in the way and you are never able to make it happen. So, just do it! Benz.
Have you read the thread? I'm attempting to "do it!" But bureaucracy is holding me up.

Reactions: 4wheelspulling

RodP

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Barellan Point
Member #

Hello all, I do believe that it is time for an update.

Those of you that have read my thread and are aware of the complications of my journey, will be no doubt be surprised that I am returning to the US to finish what I started!!
My Jeep is there now so I don't anticipate any delays..
Even though I will not be able to travel the 'Rubicon Trail' this year ( due to winter snow ) I will be travelling to Moab in Utah, to be a part of the largest Jeep gathering in the world. That being the Easter Jeep Safari..
After that event (around the 21st of April) I will be heading east to Maryland where I plan to catch up with some good friends, then onto the Outer Banks in North Carolina where I have been invited to stay for several days.
My plan is to then work my way down to Louisiana where another catch up is in order, with my trip finishing in Texas where I'll be shipping my Jeep back home.
I will be updating this thread as I travel along and look forward to sharing with you....

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
Hello all, I do believe that it is time for an update.

Those of you that have read my thread and are aware of the complications of my journey, will be no doubt be surprised that I am returning to the US to finish what I started!!
My Jeep is there now so I don't anticipate any delays..
Even though I will not be able to travel the 'Rubicon Trail' this year ( due to winter snow ) I will be travelling to Moab in Utah, to be a part of the largest Jeep gathering in the world. That being the Easter Jeep Safari..
After that event (around the 21st of April) I will be heading east to Maryland where I plan to catch up with some good friends, then onto the Outer Banks in North Carolina where I have been invited to stay for several days.
My plan is to then work my way down to Louisiana where another catch up is in order, with my trip finishing in Texas where I'll be shipping my Jeep back home.
I will be updating this thread as I travel along and look forward to sharing with you....
Glad it's back on. Hope to see you on the road.

Reactions: Luis Merlo and RodP

RodP

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Barellan Point
Member #

This is great news! Let us know where you go. I'd love to meet you and buy you dinner if you pass through the heartland!
You know what Dan, looking at that big old map, I might just have to take you up on that offer!!