• HTML tutorial

RodP

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Barellan Point
Member #

Hello all,
Now before anyone asks me have I had too much Aussie sun, or have I had a head injury, read on..

This journey started as a teenager dreaming many years ago. It has taken so long to achieve..
Back in 2010, as a family unit, we had the absolute pleasure in spending three and a half weeks in your glorious country, checking out Disney in Anaheim, The Grand Canyon, Hoover Dam, Vegas, then to San Fran , etc,etc. We literally did that triangle on the west coast and enjoyed every minute.

Fast forward several years and the marriage fell apart. I only post that so as to not come across as an ass, by doing this trip alone.

The plan was to purchase a camper van and travel around for two months. No itinerary, no real plans ,but to get back to see the America that's not on the travel brochure, the real America...

Since I'm an avid Jeeper, traveling to the US would mean a mandatory Moab and Rubicon trip, but having a camper isn't ideal and renting one was limited by where you could actually drive it, my daughter suggested to take old Rubi, so after contacting a shipping agent that I used to import an engine, the idea had stuck.

Now a lot of people have asked me, why go to all the expense of shipping your own vehicle?
Well, in a nutshell, I reckon the idea of shipping a Jeep back to her homeland to wheel some of the most iconic trails in the world, to be totally unique and she is different, especially with a Hemi v8 between the chassis rails. Won't rent one of those there!!

Rubi was rolled into the garage for a fresh coat of paint and a general clean up. She also was fitted with a new winch and a rear drawer set up, I kind of got carried away.....

Anyway, as of today, Rubi is either sitting on the docks or on a container ship bound for Charlotte North Carolina!!

In the next few posts, I'll digress and post up the mods that have been done to her.

Rod.

Last edited:

Mi V

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

NC
Oh kewl. I'm actually in the Charlotte area. Wish i can show you around the trails but I am a complete noob and know nothing. That said, I've always wanted to go 4 wheeling in Australia and eat yabbies from watering hole.

If I can help you with anything let me know.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
When you get to El Dorado county CA before you hit the Rubicon, the Sierra Foothills Overlanders would like to host a meet-up so if that works just PM

Reactions: Luis Merlo and RodP

RodP

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Barellan Point
Member #

Oh kewl. I'm actually in the Charlotte area. Wish i can show you around the trails but I am a complete noob and know nothing. That said, I've always wanted to go 4 wheeling in Australia and eat yabbies from watering hole.

If I can help you with anything let me know.
No problem at all mate, The first week will be getting accustomed to how things roll over there so I don't think I'll be wheeling. I plan to purchase a travel trailer so this will be my priority. A visit to the Blue Ridge Mountains is a definite though!
Thank you for your offer!

Reactions: Mi V and Luis Merlo

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Hello all,
Now before anyone asks me have I had too much Aussie sun, or have I had a head injury, read on..

This journey started as a teenager dreaming many years ago. It has taken so long to achieve..
Back in 2010, as a family unit, we had the absolute pleasure in spending three and a half weeks in your glorious country, checking out Disney in Anaheim, The Grand Canyon, Hoover Dam, Vegas, then to San Fran , etc,etc. We literally did that triangle on the west coast and enjoyed every minute.

Fast forward several years and the marriage fell apart. I only post that so as to not come across as an ass, by doing this trip alone.

The plan was to purchase a camper van and travel around for two months. No itinerary, no real plans ,but to get back to see the America that's not on the travel brochure, the real America...

Since I'm an avid Jeeper, traveling to the US would mean a mandatory Moab and Rubicon trip, but having a camper isn't ideal and renting one was limited by where you could actually drive it, my daughter suggested to take old Rubi, so after contacting a shipping agent that I used to import an engine, the idea had stuck.

Now a lot of people have asked me, why go to all the expense of shipping your own vehicle?
Well, in a nutshell, I reckon the idea of shipping a Jeep back to her homeland to wheel some of the most iconic trails in the world, to be totally unique and she is different, especially with a Hemi v8 between the chassis rails. Won't rent one of those there!!

Rubi was rolled in the garage for a fresh coat of paint and a general clean up. She also was fitted with a new winch and a rear drawer set up, I kind of got carried away.....

Anyway, as of today, Rubi is either sitting on the docks or on a container ship bound for Charlotte North Carolina!!

In the next few posts, I'll digress and post up the mods that have been done to her.

Rod.
Hey Rod - What is your arrival date in Charlotte? Have a general route from there, yet? Going to be in time to go to Overland Expo West in Flagstaff two weeks from now, or has that been the plan already?

I saw a post somewhere awhile back with your Jeep being painted and that it was for this trip in the States, but damned if I can recall where or find it now.

I may be headed to Expo West myself from the east coast, though starting a good bit further north.

If there's anything I can do to help while you're here, let me know. Hope to run across you out there somewhere, someday.

Wishing you dry roads and open skies during your time here, mate!

Road

Road

Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Well, hope we run across each other while he's here, @Luis Merlo - be fun to run down the highway together a bit while he's stateside. Show him some great Memphis pork barbecue at The Rendezvous or Texas brisket down in Houston or Dallas, or basecamp together at Big Bend on the Mexican border. All sorts of possibilities.

Mi V

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

NC
No problem at all mate, The first week will be getting accustomed to how things roll over there so I don't think I'll be wheeling. I plan to purchase a travel trailer so this will be my priority. A visit to the Blue Ridge Mountains is a definite though!
Thank you for your offer!
Blue Ridge is nice in the fall, and i'm sure there are nice trails in the Smokey Mountains. Have fun man.

Reactions: RodP and Luis Merlo

RodP

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Barellan Point
Member #

Hey Rod - What is your arrival date in Charlotte? Have a general route from there, yet? Going to be in time to go to Overland Expo West in Flagstaff two weeks from now, or has that been the plan already?

I saw a post somewhere awhile back with your Jeep being painted and that it was for this trip in the States, but damned if I can recall where or find it now.

I may be headed to Expo West myself from the east coast, though starting a good bit further north.

If there's anything I can do to help while you're here, let me know. Hope to run across you out there somewhere, someday.

Wishing you dry roads and open skies during your time here, mate!

Road

Hey Road,
my arrival date in Charlotte will be late on the 21st of June, so unfortunately I'll be missing the Expo.

I haven't put together a day by day itinerary as placing that stress on myself, to be at a particular point on any giving day, isn't my idea of a holiday. I have set a couple dates to aim for, but trying to keep plans loose to allow for "Plan B's" and the odd chill day. Here's a rough itinerary..

Arrive on the 21st of June. Depending on whether my Jeep is available for pick up, may have to hire a vehicle to pick up supplies and organize travel trailer so that I'm ready to roll once Customs have released vehicle.

Key points on my trip...

* My plan is to spent a week in N/C

* New Orleans for the 4th of July. Will attempt to get there a couple of days earlier.

* Northern California for a wheeling trip across the Rubicon on the 12th of July with a group of guys from JKOwners .com. Aiming for the 10th to allow for any hiccups be it mechanical or otherwise.

*Yellowstone National Park around the 17th.

* Colorado then Moab. Dates still up in the air as I have been invited by a fellow JKO member to wheel with him and we are still putting that together.

Thank you for your offer Road, if I get stuck.....

As for running across me, I'll be keeping this thread updated on my journey, so you will have a good idea of my location. I shouldn't be too hard to find, just look for the idiot waving from the wrong side of the vehicle. :)

Regards,

Rod.

Road

Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Hey Road,
my arrival date in Charlotte will be late on the 21st of June, so unfortunately I'll be missing the Expo.

I haven't put together a day by day itinerary as placing that stress on myself, to be at a particular point on any giving day, isn't my idea of a holiday. I have set a couple dates to aim for, but trying to keep plans loose to allow for "Plan B's" and the odd chill day. Here's a rough itinerary..

Arrive on the 21st of June. Depending on whether my Jeep is available for pick up, may have to hire a vehicle to pick up supplies and organize travel trailer so that I'm ready to roll once Customs have released vehicle.

Key points on my trip...

* My plan is to spent a week in N/C

* New Orleans for the 4th of July. Will attempt to get there a couple of days earlier.

* Northern California for a wheeling trip across the Rubicon on the 12th of July with a group of guys from JKOwners .com. Aiming for the 10th to allow for any hiccups be it mechanical or otherwise.

*Yellowstone National Park around the 17th.

* Colorado then Moab. Dates still up in the air as I have been invited by a fellow JKO member to wheel with him and we are still putting that together.

Thank you for your offer Road, if I get stuck.....

As for running across me, I'll be keeping this thread updated on my journey, so you will have a good idea of my location. I shouldn't be too hard to find, just look for the idiot waving from the wrong side of the vehicle. :)

Regards,

Rod.
Rod - couldn't agree more on the no definite itinerary plan. It's a big part of why I travel solo most of the time.

I might set a date like the Expo or another gathering, but give myself plenty of time before and after to wander and explore what I want. There is no better feeling than pausing at the edge of a road from wherever I slept last night, looking both ways, and thinking "Well now, I want to go left, or right?" then letting the road guide me where it may.

If I'm down around the Carolinas when you get in, I'll be happy to ferry you 'round for supplies and help get you set up for the road. Otherwise will keep an eye on your whereabouts or keep a lookout for the right hand wave!

Road

Reactions: Luis Merlo and RodP

RodP

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Barellan Point
Member #

Just received an email from Phil at USAtoAUS.com and he tells me that the container that's housing the red bus for the next 7 weeks, is actually being loading onto the container ship today! Where tonight it will head to China to be stored briefly , then reloaded on a US bound ship.....I hope she's not claustrophobic......

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Just received an email from Phil at USAtoAUS.com and he tells me that the container that's housing the red bus for the next 7 weeks, is actually being loading onto the container ship today! Where tonight it will head to China to be stored briefly , then reloaded on a US bound ship.....I hope she's not claustrophobic......
Just curious can you track the container?

Reactions: Luis Merlo

RodP

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Barellan Point
Member #

You can track the bill of lading #. I have done so in the past. Not like UPS or fedex, it only updates every couple of weeks.

Try https://touch.track-trace.com/bol

Your trip is awesome, wish you the best on your travels.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk
My shipper is keeping me in the loop. The container is sitting on a Chinese dock waiting for a US bound freighter to pick her up. The particular freighter is making its way from Singapore now.
Thank you for your wishes, the clock is ticking and I'm getting excited about it. I'm expecting the first week to be sensory overload.:)

Reactions: Luis Merlo