Australia to the US, with my Rubicon...

• HTML tutorial

RodP

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Barellan Point
Member #

While I'm twiddling my thumbs waiting for the calendar to tick over another month, I thought I should update this thread with mods that have been done..

One item that is big over here for anyone who's decking out their forby, is a rear drawer system. The idea of being able to stow a multitude of gear all within easy reach from the rear of the vehicle is very appealing, not forgetting the safety aspect of keeping gear secure in the event of an unplanned manoeuvre.
While the drawers are common for Toyotas and most Jap 4x4's, getting one to suit a Jeep usually demands a premium price as the budget versions don't cater for them.

Not wanting to pay through the nose for one, I was checking out a large 4wheel wholesale company who import drawers for the Jap crowd. I started to research the different versions to see how I could modify one to suit my Wrangler. The version that happened to fit perfectly between the rear wheel arches is specced for a Toyota Prado. Unfortunately, the drawer unit is approximately 6 inches too long. OK, time to pull out some tools and make this sucker fit!

The below pic shows the untouched unit in the rear of the Jeep. Due to the tailgate locking mechanism, this is the absolute rear position of said drawers.

Last edited:

RodP

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Barellan Point
Member #

The drawers are made from gal steel so cutting them down wasn't too bad. I found that by unpicking the end wall of the drawers and cutting the excess from the end of the drawers saved me from disturbing the lock and face.

This is the shortened unit before mounting in the Jeep.

Reactions: Luis Merlo

RodP

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Barellan Point
Member #

Here's a pic of the finished unit installed. The fridge is mounted on the left side as there is a slide that allows the fridge to roll out. I would've preferred it on the right but some times you just have to work with what's available to you. Even though the fridge is mounted high, I can still access it, although I did remove the wiper motor assembly from the rear lift gate.

The Idea of stacking the drawers did cross my mind, but by doing so would've meant shortening the top drawer even more as the angle of the rear seat would dictate this. For the minor inconvenience of not being able to open the fridge lid fully, this setup suits my purpose.

Last edited:

Ntgm37

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Wyoming
Member #

Looks like a nice setup! If you end up in Cody, Wyoming (45 minutes out of the Eastgate in Yellowstone) and need anything, feel free to contact me!

Reactions: RodP and Luis Merlo

RodP

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Barellan Point
Member #

Looks like a nice setup! If you end up in Cody, Wyoming (45 minutes out of the Eastgate in Yellowstone) and need anything, feel free to contact me!
Thank you, and I will be swinging by Yellowstone so you never know. Mighty fine of you to offer!

RodP

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Barellan Point
Member #

Minor hiccup with the shipping...
Apparently, she is now on a different ship with a revised ETA. Was the 10th of June, now the 24th. Bugger. No doubt there'll be a few things to do in Charlotte before then anyway.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Minor hiccup with the shipping...
Apparently, she is now on a different ship with a revised ETA. Was the 10th of June, now the 24th. Bugger. No doubt there'll be a few things to do in Charlotte before then anyway.
Rod, I know its impossible to predict but are you still planing on the same time line for the Rubicon? Our meet and greet location has changed to Dry Diggings Distillery in El Dorado Hills and the organizer is fairly flexible since he is the owner. As it gets closer keep me updated and when we have a definite date ill put out the Rally Point.

RodP

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Barellan Point
Member #

Rod, I know its impossible to predict but are you still planing on the same time line for the Rubicon? Our meet and greet location has changed to Dry Diggings Distillery in El Dorado Hills and the organizer is fairly flexible since he is the owner. As it gets closer keep me updated and when we have a definite date ill put out the Rally Point.
Hey Kent, one of the major goals of my trip is running the Rubicon so yes, I might have to cut short the East Coast tours, but the West remains the same.

RodP

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Barellan Point
Member #

In case you guys thought I may have fallen of the map, I haven’t. I have been waiting for Customs to clear my vehicle and as of today (Sunday the 15th) I’m still waiting. She landed in the US on the 24th of last month. Fingers crossed that the next few days will result in a positive outcome.

I was waiting in Charlotte, but have since shifted down to Charleston where my vehicle is impounded. The idea is by being here to receive my Jeep, this will save me a day and will allow me to start my journey.

My plans to meet folk on the west coast have dissolved ( along with a highly anticipated trip across the Rubicon with fellow Jeepers) but hopefully once I’m over on that side, I might be able to catch up with a few people.
As this is a family site, I best not type how I actually feel about the delay and my opinion of the situation.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
In case you guys thought I may have fallen of the map, I haven’t. I have been waiting for Customs to clear my vehicle and as of today (Sunday the 15th) I’m still waiting. She landed in the US on the 24th of last month. Fingers crossed that the next few days will result in a positive outcome.

I was waiting in Charlotte, but have since shifted down to Charleston where my vehicle is impounded. The idea is by being here to receive my Jeep, this will save me a day and will allow me to start my journey.

My plans to meet folk on the west coast have dissolved ( along with a highly anticipated trip across the Rubicon with fellow Jeepers) but hopefully once I’m over on that side, I might be able to catch up with a few people.
As this is a family site, I best not type how I actually feel about the delay and my opinion of the situation.
Rod, I know you have been communicating with Kevin about a meet-up, but one thing I can offer is finding you someone to run the Rubicon with. The president of the Rubicon Trail Foundation will be at our meeting this Tuesday and I can talk to him if you want. And as for the meet-up I am sure Kevin told you this but if your here we will meet at he brewery no mater what.

KC2BUN

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Salem County NJ
Member #

I'm very sorry about the delays, I heard it takes "forever" to import a rig into Australia aswell

Sent from my SM-G930P using OB Talk mobile app

RodP

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Barellan Point
Member #

Rod, I know you have been communicating with Kevin about a meet-up, but one thing I can offer is finding you someone to run the Rubicon with. The president of the Rubicon Trail Foundation will be at our meeting this Tuesday and I can talk to him if you want. And as for the meet-up I am sure Kevin told you this but if your here we will meet at he brewery no mater what.
Thank you Kent, even though I have been delayed, I have all intentions of running the Rubicon. If you can speak with the president, that would be much appreciated.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Thank you Kent, even though I have been delayed, I have all intentions of running the Rubicon. If you can speak with the president, that would be much appreciated.
I will talk with him tomorrow his hame is John Arenz. Let Kevin or I know when you leave the east coast.

Reactions: RodP

Flipper

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Florida
First Name
John
Last Name
F
Member #

When you get to N.C. before heading west check out Smoky Mtn N.P. and Fontana Lake which is the southern border of the park, Tail of the Dragon, and the Ocoee River in Tenn. for some white water rafting. I found the apps RV Parky, Roadtripper, and USFS and BLM for campsite and points of interest locations are great sites. Have a great trip!